Mike Myers appeared on Colbert in a Sabres sweater...

Eleven

15 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

The replies here are funking wild.

Massively successful and famous comic who’s from Toronto wears an away Sabres sweater on widely watched, rewatched, and social media distributed talk show (EDIT: *in order to show love for a neighbour city that was the site of a horrendous act of domestic terrorism*.)

’Spacers drag the show, its host, and otherwise miss the point.

Welcome to 2022, where even smelly dumps get politicized.  My wife and I barely speak anymore because everything that happens anywhere at anytime is clearly due to the baby eaters vaccine agenda.  

• Haha (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Clear to you.  Not to me.  If I were going to have work done I wouldn't look like that when it was finished.

Probably not on an engineer's salary. 

(You've shown us the before photos.  Would be expensive to get to even THAT after.  😛)

Sorry, that meatball was just hanging too high not to give it a rip.  😉

🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I can only imagine anyone who doesn’t instantly make this connection doesn’t live in WNY 

Yes, you are mostly right, but I would just add that anyone who is familiar with the Sabres and the news will make the connection if they are observant enough.  

It is a news event that is getting coverage nationally and internationally.

And just to be clear ... this post is not meant to be a shot at anyone that has hot made the connection, especially our friend @Digger.

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Besides, engineers don't care what we look like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHZw0qYnxN1_qaWS_FDVT

Dude!!

That's Mick Jones in high school.

And I better not have to 'splain who Mick Jones is.

As an older, and maybe a crustier member here, I thought it was cool of Mike Myers to wear our sweater and say that.   I started my lifes journey on the West Side,  a stones throw away from the foot of Ferry.   I had to laugh hard at his story on getting beer in Buffalo.  

I am not a Colbert fan but I did enjoy that moment on his show.  I was a Mike Myers fan before this show, and now I am one even more - I don't care if he loves the Leaves.  That only makes him more of my kind of guy.  I always respect people who love their family and their roots.  

I will also add that Buffalo looks so damm good on the national level.  From the initial response and actions of the city and county leadership, to the honest and touching reactions of the local people that were affected, the peaceful and supportive statement being made is impressive.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

He was promoting a movie? Got lots of shares and clicks. Nice.

So much value of all sorts is derived from these travesties, it's no wonder that our depraved society has zero interest in even trying to prevent them.

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

So much value of all sorts is derived from these travesties, it's no wonder that our depraved society has zero interest in even trying to prevent them.

Short of increasing funding for mental health facilities and access to these; along with preventative services for law enforcement. What else do you suggest to prevent a crazed individual from opening fire on innocent people grocery shopping?

Yes, they dropped the ball last year when this young man made threats, but that is sadly a product of our broken system. 

I'm not too far off on your current cynicysm regarding this. But what can honestly be done to prevent? 

Side note, I don't believe gun control works, if someone wants a gun, they will get one, legally or otherwise. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Short of increasing funding for mental health facilities and access to these; along with preventative services for law enforcement. What else do you suggest to prevent a crazed individual from opening fire on innocent people grocery shopping?

What, return them to the level of funding before the 80s when all that was cut and people were left to fend?

Realistically, my pet theory is it is hopelessness. This isn't different than various third world nations where young men (predominantly) are facing 60 years of the grind with little hope for at least a modestly comfortable future. Yes, they can beat the odds, and yes we shouldn't have to, but in a state of hopelessness it's easy to attach to anything that puts the blame on someone else and not yourself. Make it easier to be prosperous, give a person something to lose, and they won't throw it away in a blaze of glory.

And if not gun control, gun registration and criminal liability if your gun is used in a crime. It's not a 100% solution but "they'll just get illegal guns" will be a higher hurdle if someone is on the hook for not keeping track of their weapons.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Yes, they dropped the ball last year when this young man made threats, but that is sadly a product of our broken system. 

I'm not too far off on your current cynicysm regarding this. But what can honestly be done to prevent? 

Side note, I don't believe gun control works, if someone wants a gun, they will get one, legally or otherwise. 

I don't have any answers. I'd like to see the brainpower (ha) in this country, including govt, working to solve a problem. A problem that of course extends far beyond these isolated mass shootings.

My peeve is the attention given to the events and the perpretators. I'd think long and hard about making it illegal to use the name and likeness of the shooters in the media. Won't happen of course.

On 5/21/2022 at 6:25 PM, Pimlach said:

I always respect people who love their family and their roots.    

Great take. I have lots of love for Myers, and it is 100% clear that he is devoted to his family, his hometown region, and his heritage. And I'll say: If you have not watched "So I Married an Axe Murderer," do yourself a favour and give it a watch. His send-up of the parental characters is just astonishing comedy.

In a weird effing irony: Several of the dad's conspiracy beliefs from this movie are echoed in the document that the Buffalo mass killer published.

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

This is an absolutely brutal take. But it is far from unfair. There are truths worth pondering there.

On reflection following your post, I do not have a problem with what Myers did. Yes, he's out there promoting a project. It's what he does for a living. In the course of what he would normally otherwise be doing, he chose to send some love to a town that he considers part of his hometown experience. Not so different from anyone else choosing to wear a Buffalo-themed top in order to show some love. He just happens to have a life that is public. I'm good with it.

Andrew Cuomo, OTOH, is f*cking depraved. Shamelessly working to rehabilitate his public image by trading on the 5/14 tragedy.

6 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

I'd think long and hard about making it illegal to use the name and likeness of the shooters in the media. Won't happen of course.

Absent a constitutional amendment, no.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Zamboni said:

The hubris of that scumbag to call himself governor and not former governor. 

That's normal convention.  Any person who serves in office or in the military is called by their highest title/rank thereafter.

57 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

That's normal convention.  Any person who serves in office or in the military is called by their highest title/rank thereafter.

OTOH, Cuomo's situation isn't normal nor is he any person. He resigned in disgrace.

Yet again OTOH:

56 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Protocol. President Richard Nixon.

I suppose disgraced people can continue to use titles as well.

• Thanks (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Yes, that was my point.  And protocol would have been a better word than convention.  It's more formal than just a generally accepted convention.

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

OTOH, Cuomo's situation isn't normal nor is he any person. He resigned in disgrace.

Yet again OTOH:

And what if a disgraced person decides they aren’t going to resign? 

This country is totally out of control. Sad to say that Buffalo has now been put on the back burner because of that nut job in Texas. It seems all these ***** up people are always trying to one up each other, and it's ***** disgusting. The future generation is screwed.

On 5/24/2022 at 1:19 AM, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Do you feel the same way about what happened in Texas? That it is mental health related?

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Do you feel the same way about what happened in Texas? That it is mental health related?

Wonder if he has a Stars sweater. 😞 He might just get a whole set of 32 at this point to be prepared.

Edited by MattPie

13 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I just read a little about what happened, before any other facts were out. I don't know the circumstances surrounding it all. 

I'll look more into it today, but do people with no mental issues just unload on children? 

Just now, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I just read a little about what happened, before any other facts were out. I don't know the circumstances surrounding it all. 

I'll look more into it today, but do people with no mental issues just unload on children? 

I mean conversely, do all people with similar mental issues commit the same acts?

Don't get me wrong I don't think there's a single great answer here just playing devil's advocate. 

Mass shootings are uniquely American.  Mental illness is not uniquely American.  Its not predominately a mental illness issue.  Treating it like it is predominantly a mental illness issue is denying the real problem.

• Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

I mean conversely, do all people with similar mental issues commit the same acts?

Don't get me wrong I don't think there's a single great answer here just playing devil's advocate. 

No, not at all, there's always more to the story. I just read that this man sent a text to a friend with AR pics and ammo days prior and said "don't worry about it" 

Again, a simple heads up to the police may have stopped this, just like the authorities in buffalo dealing with a school threat before the tops shooting happened. 

It seems like he was an outcast, according to some reports, I think social media is certainly a culprit here as well, but there is no turning back that train in 2022.

Either way it's incredibly sad to see, I wish there was a simple answer. Yet another reason that not having children of my own seems wise to me. 

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

Mass shootings are uniquely American.  Mental illness is not uniquely American.  Its not predominately a mental illness issue.  Treating it like it is predominantly a mental illness issue is denying the real problem.

What is the real problem? Guns, culture? I'm interested to hear your thoughts