Game 5 5/19/22 Rochester @ Utica 7:05 pm - AHLTV

PromoTheRobot

10 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So I was curious about the whole 2nd round/3rd round thing and looked into it.  The AHL expanded its playoffs this year to 23 teams, meaning that only 8 teams didn’t make the playoffs.  9 teams got 1st-round byes, while the other 14 teams played in the first round, which was best-of-3.

Rounds 2 and 3 are best of 5, and rounds 4 and 5 are best of 7.  So the Amerks will have to win 3 against Laval.

Due to uneven schedules & also to boost playoff revenues only the bottom 2 teams in each division missed the playoffs.  So, in a 7 team division like the Amerks are in 5 teams made the playoffs & 3 teams avoided "round 1."  But out west w/ 9 teams, 7 got in and only the top team got a bye.  In the other 2 divions, there were 5 & 6 playoff teams respectively as they are a 7 & an 8 team division.

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

So I was curious about the whole 2nd round/3rd round thing and looked into it.  The AHL expanded its playoffs this year to 23 teams, meaning that only 8 teams didn’t make the playoffs.  9 teams got 1st-round byes, while the other 14 teams played in the first round, which was best-of-3.

Rounds 2 and 3 are best of 5, and rounds 4 and 5 are best of 7.  So the Amerks will have to win 3 against Laval.

Given how cannibalized (it more or is Balkanized (is that still something you can say?)) most AHL teams' seasons are with call-ups, this seems like a logical and fair approach to playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

Amerks with Tischke, Davidson, Alt and Fitz on the blueline are a helluvalot better at defending than what they rolled out for the majority of the season. 33, 23, 14 and 28 games, respectively this year.

Hope Mule and UPL are available for the next round.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Amerks with Tischke, Davidson, Alt and Fitz on the blueline are a helluvalot better at defending than what they rolled out for the majority of the season. 33, 23, 14 and 28 games, respectively this year.

They’re both skating everyday. It could happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Waaaay back in the day I went to school in Rochester.  I would drink Genny, Simon Pure, Utica Club, Matt’s, Blatz, Schmidt’s, Koehler, Goebels, Koch’s, Ballantine, Shaeffer, Rolling Rock, Iron City,  etc.  Whatever was there.  Tuition was high back then too. 

I think I drank about 2/3 of these brands during my high school years in the Buffalo area.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

No doubt you insert Mule into the lineup.  If Dell continues to play well and win, do you replace him with a healthy UPL?  It's great for UPL's development, but it may not be in the best interests of the team winning the Calder Cup.  I guess it will be a good problem to have.

32 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

No doubt you insert Mule into the lineup.  If Dell continues to play well and win, do you replace him with a healthy UPL?  It's great for UPL's development, but it may not be in the best interests of the team winning the Calder Cup.  I guess it will be a good problem to have.

its a weird situation because Dell  has made a few big saves and the fact he's won has masked the bad goals and the horrible numbers.

The facts are that the Amerks have outscored his issues, but psychologically it's hard to move off the winning formula.

UPL is a better goalie and should give us a better chance to win because of it, but it could be a minefield if they switch and he loses.

I hope they play UPL when he's ready. He needs this for his development, and we need him to develop.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, ubkev said:

Wait a minute, here. A town whose culinary contribution to the world is actual garbage is talking ***** about someone else's food?

Rochester has as a sneaky great food scene. Not original food but great restaurants

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

its a weird situation because Dell  has made a few big saves and the fact he's won has masked the bad goals and the horrible numbers.

The facts are that the Amerks have outscored his issues, but psychologically it's hard to move off the winning formula.

UPL is a better goalie and should give us a better chance to win because of it, but it could be a minefield if they switch and he loses.

I hope they play UPL when he's ready. He needs this for his development, and we need him to develop.

UPL has had numbers similar to Dell’s playoffs numbers for most of the year. People always made excuses for it. He improved them a bit towards the end of the year. But unless Dell plays even worse then he has, you can’t change goalies. Putting in a goalie who is coming off an injury, and hasn’t played in weeks should be a last resort. 

I don’t think Dell has been great in the playoffs, but what he does is stay calm in big moments. He’s made big saves in big moments all playoffs. Game 1 in OT against Belleville for example. After he gave up both goals last night, he made several big stops. He’s won 4 OT games. That wouldn’t have happened with UPL. 

UPL is the opposite, where he always tends to give up a bad goal at the worst time. 

It wouldn’t be fair to the team, fans, or really anyone to play a goalie based strictly on development. I trust Appert agrees, considering Laaksonen hasn’t seen a game in the playoffs. 

Edited by Amerks8796

5 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I wonder why the Amerks’ haven’t posted yesterday’s highlights yet.

Sometimes they never do.  Minor league sports apparently have a small fraction of the resources compared to major league.

2 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

UPL has had numbers similar to Dell’s playoffs numbers for most of the year. People always made excuses for it. He improved them a bit towards the end of the year. But unless Dell plays even worse then he has, you can’t change goalies. Putting in a goalie who is coming off an injury, and hasn’t played in weeks should be a last resort. 

I don’t think Dell has been great in the playoffs, but what he does is stay calm in big moments. He’s made big saves in big moments all playoffs. Game 1 in OT against Belleville for example. After he gave up both goals last night, he made several big stops. He’s won 4 OT games. That wouldn’t have happened with UPL. 

UPL is the opposite, where he always tends to give up a bad goal at the worst time. 

It wouldn’t be fair to the team, fans, or really anyone to play a goalie based strictly on development. I trust Appert agrees, considering Laaksonen hasn’t seen a game in the playoffs. 

Wouldn’t be doing based strictly on development.

Id be doing it for development and because I think Dell is awful and UPL gives this team a better chance to win.

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Wouldn’t be doing based strictly on development.

Id be doing it for development and because I think Dell is awful and UPL gives this team a better chance to win.

We agree that Dell is not a good goalie at the AHL level.  I’ve been watching this playoff run closely. The only game(s) that I thought Dell “stole,” or more appropriately, played well/very well in, was 1) Belleville game one (stole), & 2) Utica at ROC game three (very good). All other games he was pretty average.  Plugged in Amerks fans don’t have a lot of confidence in him. 

At the same time, there’s an exhaustion with UPL in his underperformance relative to his billing/prospect status. And he has been injured every year. 

My gut says they’ll roll with Dell and hope he gets hot. And only turn to UPL if ROC has their backs against the wall in this best of five series v Laval.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.