Game 5 5/19/22 Rochester @ Utica 7:05 pm - AHLTV

PromoTheRobot

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I wonder if they stick with Dell or roll the dice on Hauser?

It will be Dell, that was a team loss.

Unfortunately Samuelsson and Mersch will likely not play. The hits on Mersch and Crosby in the NHL show that in the playoffs a short term suspension is worth the benefit of taking out a key player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

Unfortunately Samuelsson and Mersch will likely not play. The hits on Mersch and Crosby in the NHL show that in the playoffs a short term suspension is worth the benefit of taking out a key player.

Suspension durations in the NHL are absurdly short to begin with, let alone in the playoffs where they're even shorter. The equivalent of a one-game NFL suspension would be 5 games in the NHL (16:82 games ratio). I'd like to see suspensions for headshots and other attempts to injure start at 5 games regular season or post. You can still be incredibly physical and difficult to play against while not targeting someone for a series-/season-ending concussion.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

This does not bode well for tonight.....I will just have to wait until tomorrow morning to even look....LOL

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Suspension durations in the NHL are absurdly short to begin with, let alone in the playoffs where they're even shorter. The equivalent of a one-game NFL suspension would be 5 games in the NHL (16:82 games ratio). I'd like to see suspensions for headshots and other attempts to injure start at 5 games regular season or post. You can still be incredibly physical and difficult to play against while not targeting someone for a series-/season-ending concussion.

I think if you’re suspended for hurting a player in the playoffs that causes him to miss games, the suspension should last at least as long as the injured player is out for that series.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

I think if you’re suspended for hurting a player in the playoffs that causes him to miss games, the suspension should last at least as long as the injured player is out for that series.

And then you get into the slippery slope of teams holding players out so the other team can’t get their player back of the other player is deemed better than your own 

• Thanks (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, inkman said:

And then you get into the slippery slope of teams holding players out so the other team can’t get their player back of the other player is deemed better than your own 

It’s rare that the better player is the one suspended. And they could have independent medical staff check the status.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

It’s rare that the better player is the one suspended. And they could have independent medical staff check the status.

Yeah, that's just going to create more problems.  I don't see a realistic alternative to the existing (problematic) system.  Heavier suspensions could help a bit.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Because it would be so difficult for a player to tell an independent doctor that he's still suffering headaches or it really hurts a lot when that arm is getting worked to its limits in the office.  😒

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Yeah, that's just going to create more problems.  I don't see a realistic alternative to the existing (problematic) system.  Heavier suspensions could help a bit.

IMHO, the only easily implementable & fairly non-gameable way to address the issue.

Won't happen, because the goons tend to run the player discipline office & the NHLPA.  But it would fix the issue.

38 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Didn't that kinda happen in the Boston/Vancouver final? That was some MFT bs.

49 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Didn't that kinda happen in the Boston/Vancouver final? That was some MFT bs.

Do you mean Rome and Horton?  Not sure that Rome was the better player.  But there was plenty of "get Colin's kid a Cup" going on that year otherwise.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, inkman said:

Yes, too slippery.

I can't get behind the equal suspension for injury time. Some folks heal up right away from worse hits, some folks get caught just wrong and something minor ends their career. By the time you get the doctor to fully evaluate and determine the recovery time/suspension time, the whole series could be over anyway. A higher baseline suspension isn't perfect but it would at least provide coverage of -- you might miss the rest of the series and the start of the next; you might miss game 7 and the beginning of next regular season, etc.

43 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Anyone who might not be using their AHL TV credentials and wants to loan to me is welcome to do so ... 

It’s only $8.99 for the single game. I’ll send you a $10 bill tomorrow, doooo iiiit!

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Bellied up to the bar attached to the Utica arena and drinking Southern Tier cuz eff Utica Club. Also, I’m the passenger for the ride home and I intend to punish my liver accordingly. 
Go Amerks!!

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I'm up in Ottawa now, if Laval was still playing, I would drive over to see a game, alas, I'll have to see if this game is on at my hotel and if not then I'll drink La fin du monde and watch NHL playoffs 🙂

Win win 

It's Genny Spring Bock for me. It's cool enough today to do a fire.

IMG-20220519-190657.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.