Game 4 5/17/22 Utica @ Rochester 7:05 pm - AHLTV (you should be going but I digress)

inkman

Rough game to watch.  Amerks were down a goal before we even got to our seats (granted we were about 10 minutes late).  Was just a poor effort all around.  They were outplayed in every facet of the game.  Ended up leaving before the score was final.  It was 4-0 with ~10 minutes left in the third.  

Going to need a better effort if they plan on winning in Utica on Thurs

• Like (+1) 1

One of the stranger things seen was in the 3rd after a clear by the UTI Comets (what a HORRIBLE name) Greer & a UTI Comet D-man crashed into each other.  As Greer reached the bench he gave a middle finger salute to the crowd & some guy just missed hitting his head w/ some sort of Rohrbach product.  Linesman picked it up off the ice.  At the next play stoppage the PA announcer asked the crowd to please refrain from throwing anything else or the Amerks would get a penalty.

Been a long time since seeing a beer thrown on the ice.  Can't honestly recall seeing a can thrown on the ice.  Saw MANY cups of beer thrown, particularly at Bruins, but not a can.

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

One of the stranger things seen was in the 3rd after a clear by the UTI Comets (what a HORRIBLE name) Greer & a UTI Comet D-man crashed into each other.  As Greer reached the bench he gave a middle finger salute to the crowd & some guy just missed hitting his head w/ some sort of Rohrbach product.  Linesman picked it up off the ice.  At the next play stoppage the PA announcer asked the crowd to please refrain from throwing anything else or the Amerks would get a penalty.

Been a long time since seeing a beer thrown on the ice.  Can't honestly recall seeing a can thrown on the ice.  Saw MANY cups of beer thrown, particularly at Bruins, but not a can.

The Comets name comes from the old Clinton Comets of the Eastern Hockey League (the league Slapshot was based on) from the 1950’s through 70’s. They played at the Clinton Arena, a small hockey barn from the 1930’s which is still in use after getting upgrades from winning the Kraft Hockeytown contest.

Clinton is a suburb 14 minutes outside Utica, so when NJ moved the Utica Devils to Binghamton, Vancouver moved in and they were renamed the Comets as a homage. When NJ moved back they just switched colors but kept the name.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, pastajoe said:

The Comets name comes from the old Clinton Comets of the Eastern Hockey League (the league Slapshot was based on) from the 1950’s through 70’s. They played at the Clinton Arena, a small hockey barn from the 1930’s which is still in use after getting upgrades from winning the Kraft Hockeytown contest.

Clinton is a suburb 14 minutes outside Utica, so when NJ moved the Utica Devils to Binghamton, Vancouver moved in and they were renamed the Comets as a homage. When NJ moved back they just switched colors but kept the name.

Regardless of the history, the UTI Comets is a ridiculously bad name.  Should they relocate to Clinton,some of us would have even more fun w/ that name; but at least it would be alliterative & ha e a historical basis.

One of the lousiest hockey games that I have been to in a long time. 

Amerks did nothing right. I didn’t think any of them played a solid game. Passing was bad, shooting was bad, PP was bad, no energy, very little hustle. Team was chasing the Comets most of the night. Quinn was useless. 

I don’t think I’ve ever been at a game where a team had their goalie pulled with 12 minutes left in the game. 

Crowd wasn’t helping much, either, not like on Sunday. 

Hoping that Sabres Management and scouting are keeping a good watch on the Amerks series...... This team needs size with a bit of grit. (OK, both Sabres and Amerks). Skilled players are nice but when they are pushed around and cleared out of the crease it is not helpful or good for the team overall. Muel was really needed in this series, and day to day seems to have turned into not the whole playoffs. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Hoping that Sabres Management and scouting are keeping a good watch on the Amerks series...... This team needs size with a bit of grit. (OK, both Sabres and Amerks). Skilled players are nice but when they are pushed around and cleared out of the crease it is not helpful or good for the team overall. Muel was really needed in this series, and day to day seems to have turned into not the whole playoffs. 

Another troublesome one.

He got hurt with the Sabres but gutted out the end of the season. I thought it was from the shot-block, but maybe not.

How a "day-to-day" injury that he could play on 3 weeks ago has morphed into something he can't play on now is typical Sabres.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I noticed Fitzgerald on the PP last night(and not in a good way).  Don’t know much about the guys on the Amerks blueline, but he is their best option?

Best PP guy is Laaksonen. Unfortunately he sucks elsewhere and is getting scratched.

Other than that, yeah Fitzy might be.

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Another troublesome one.

He got hurt with the Sabres but gutted out the end of the season. I thought it was from the shot-block, but maybe not.

How a "day-to-day" injury that he could play on 3 weeks ago has morphed into something he can't play on now is typical Sabres.

Part of this leaves a bad taste. Is it he just does not want to play for the Amerks now that he got a long taste of the NHL or is he really hurt? He would definitely have helped all of these games.

11 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Part of this leaves a bad taste. Is it he just does not want to play for the Amerks now that he got a long taste of the NHL or is he really hurt? He would definitely have helped all of these games.

I doubt he's faking; if anything they are purposely keeping him out fearing furthering the injury with a blocked shot

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

As someone that was there, I agree.  It was tough to watch and it felt like a punch to the gut. 

It's also important to keep perspective though.  We're talking about a bunch of 20ish year old Amerks leading a professional team against a 1st place Comets team filled with both physically developed AHL vets and some younger talent sprinkled in as well.  The Amerks have already advanced past the first round and were a game away from eliminating the Comets.  They still have one more game vs the Comets to try to close out the series.  No matter the final result of game 5, the young Amerks players have shown a ton

23 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

One of the lousiest hockey games that I have been to in a long time. 

Amerks did nothing right. I didn’t think any of them played a solid game. Passing was bad, shooting was bad, PP was bad, no energy, very little hustle. Team was chasing the Comets most of the night. Quinn was useless. 

I don’t think I’ve ever been at a game where a team had their goalie pulled with 12 minutes left in the game. 

Crowd wasn’t helping much, either, not like on Sunday. 

A missed opportunity but it's good to recognize that they can play much better.  Next game we'll see what they have.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.