Playoff GDT 5/15/22 - Rochester vs Utica

Andrew Amerk

17 minutes ago, dudacek said:

People who aren’t watching shouldn’t be getting impression Quinn is getting tossed around, or is shying away from contact. 

I think it is better described as he is having more trouble escaping contact.

The Quinn I watched most of the year has excelled at finding spaces within the patterns of the game, then exploiting them with a subtle lateral movement to gain separation, to set up some exquisite one-touch passes or that deadly shot.

What’s happening now is shadowing: he is being marked so tightly that checkers are ignoring the other aspects of the game  to subtly grab, poke, taunt and interfere with him.

He is battling through it, but he doesn’t have JJ’s burst, or his low body strength and the battle is costing him the split second of space he is used to exploiting so well.

Good points, but since it is playoff time do you think he may have an injury that is slowing down his production (mobility or shot)?  I know this type of info won't come out until after the playoffs but it makes me wonder if injury is a contributing factor.

Pardon me if I derail the current theme.

Game 4 in Rochester with the chance to advance!

I rearranged my schedule, which was no easy feat! 
This City and the people of it deserve the accolades.

Go Amerks!

Go Rochester!

*****!

Yea!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My pure speculation, regarding Quinn, is that he’s stuck in his own head at the moment. 

Yes, Belleville and Utica have given him the business, pressuring him, but he’s been giving it back. He has the skill to overcome it, but his brain is probably overthinking. He wants to be the difference-maker, but he’s gripping the stick instead of relaxing. 

He had a perfect opportunity to end the game yesterday near the end of the 3rd, wide open in the slot, and he rifled his shot right over the net. The Quinn of the regular season would’ve scored that goal. 

He has been getting his chances, but the passes and shots haven’t been executed in the way that he can do them. Yet. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:57 AM, Doohickie said:

A good deep run will give these youngsters valuable experience

I guess if they win tonight we can call that a good run.  If they win the next series we can call that a deep run.

9 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

wide open in the slot, and he rifled his shot right over the net.

Maybe he needs to take some of the curve out of his stick like Olofsson did.

Attached is an article from a WGR site by Paul Hamilton. He brought up comments from the Rochester coach on JJ and Rousek. His comments on Rousek suggest that the organization has another quality NHL prospect in the system. It was pointed out that Rousek was a J Botts draft selection.

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/sports/sabres/amerks-hit-stride-at-right-time-of-season

It's good to see R2 stepping up in the playoffs while Quinn is working through being shadowed. I see a lot of suggestions here about hanging onto him, but I just don't see how Rusto can ever make it into the Sabres lineup. With Quinn and JJ it's almost completely full and I don't see R2 being an upgrade over anyone on the team. 

This leads me to believe he'd be a prime add-on to an off-season deal. Maybe trade him + floridas first to bring in a goalie from somewhere, or an RFA from a team against the cap. 

Anyways, go Amerks.

4 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Wasn't it J. Botts who got Tage Thompson in return for ROR? It took some time for the fruits of that trade to manifest itself but as time goes by that deal looks better, or at a minimum can be considered a fair value trade. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well no, it isn't, but I don't want to build a winning in the regular season only team, I don't want to be the Leafs. I want to build a playoff ready team. 

Completely agree with that.  like all young Sabres 

goal of the summer “bigger, faster, stronger” 

• Thanks (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Wasn't it J. Botts who got Tage Thompson in return for ROR? It took some time for the fruits of that trade to manifest itself but as time goes by that deal looks better, or at a minimum can be considered a fair value trade. 

ROR won the Selke, Conn Smythe and Stanley cup. Tage has had one good season. Four years after the trade. Short of him becoming a genuine first line centre for a prolonged time, we won’t ever win that trade.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

ROR won the Selke, Conn Smythe and Stanley cup. Tage has had one good season. Four years after the trade. Short of him becoming a genuine first line centre for a prolonged time, we won’t ever win that trade.

I don't personally think winning the trade is you vs the other team you traded with. I think it is what you would be with the trade vs if you didn't do the trade.  In that way, the Sabres sure might end up winning this (for vs against).

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

I don't personally think winning the trade is you vs the other team you traded with. I think it is what you would be with the trade vs if you didn't do the trade.  In that way, the Sabres sure might end up winning this (for vs against).

Also, a lot of trades are not one for one in real time; they're exchanging presents and futures.  Tage for ROR is a case of St Louis getting what they needed NOW versus the Sabres getting players that (they hoped) would pan out in the future.  Still too early to say but it might be that both teams won that one.

In the Eich trade, it was giving VGK a NOW piece for a lesser Now piece and Future pieces, but so far it looks like the NOW piece to VGK was a dud and the pieces that came back immediately exceeded expectations. 

Both trades will require some time for the dust to settle but in each case the teams involved may all end up ahead.

5 hours ago, Trettioåtta said:

In some situations, as it was in this case, the issue isn't whether you win a trade or not because a decision was made to deal him. The organization and owner (apparently) were determined to deal him before his bonus kicked in. When the trade first happened it seemed as if the organization got fleeced. As time goes by it doesn't seem as imbalanced a deal as it first did.  Just as with the Jack deal you make the best deal you can and then move on.  

• 2 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.