So...for the grammatically correct...is it Game 7s or Games 7?

matter2003

19 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I always heard "Game 7's," although the rule of plural of things like "attorneys general" should make it "Games 7."  The noun is "game" and 7 is a modifier thereto.

It's likely one of those situations where the right answer will sound wrong, or at least pretentious, to most others.  Another example is replying "I am he" or "this is he" when someone asks to speak to a particular person.  I actually had someone "correct" me by saying "him" back.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, carpandean said:

It's likely one of those situations where the right answer will sound wrong, or at least pretentious, to most others.  Another example is replying "I am he" or "this is he" when someone asks to speak to a particular person.  I actually had someone "correct" me by saying "him" back.  

I believe it.  A professor from Niagara University runs a class for businesses on grammar, spelling, and punctuation.  One of the points was that most people view "whom" as pretentious, even in business.  Another is that the subjunctive mood is effectively obsolete in general.  So my writing style is considered somewhere between olde fashion'd and pretentious.

I often revise e-mails to break complex sentences into pieces.  I also have to simplify my language because my wife's gigantic vocabulary has rubbed off on me.

28 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I believe it.  A professor from Niagara University runs a class for businesses on grammar, spelling, and punctuation.  One of the points was that most people view "whom" as pretentious, even in business.  Another is that the subjunctive mood is effectively obsolete in general.  So my writing style is considered somewhere between olde fashion'd and pretentious.

I often revise e-mails to break complex sentences into pieces.  I also have to simplify my language because my wife's gigantic vocabulary has rubbed off on me.

I’ve grown to answer the question, “how are you” with “I am well”.  Sometimes it gets looks.  “I am good” has become customary.  I assume “I am well can come off as pretentious as well.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Weave said:

I’ve grown to answer the question, “how are you” with “I am well”.  Sometimes it gets looks.  “I am good” has become customary.  I assume “I am well can come off as pretentious as well.

I do, too.  Though, I try to say it as humbly as possible. 🤪

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Weave said:

I can't bring myself to even tho I know it's grammatically correct...

I have already started growing the nose hairs and ear hairs of an old person, cannot bring myself to start talking like one now 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

16 hours ago, carpandean said:

He is I and I is him, slim with the tilted brim. What's my mother *****in name?

Come on, Snoop Dogg taught everyone this in '93.

1 hour ago, ubkev said:

He is I and I is him, slim with the tilted brim. What's my mother *****in name?

Come on, Snoop Dogg taught everyone this in '93.

I am he as you are he as you are me and we are all together.

• Like (+1) 3

APOSTROPHES NEVER SIGNIFY PLURALITY. 

[I'm basing this on my former career as an English professor, but I'm in sales now, so take it for what it's worth] Apostrophes are used to indicate two things, essentially: 1) a contraction combining two words, wherein the apostrophe signifies the splice point and place where letters have been omitted, and 2) possession; an "apostrophe-s ('s)" tacked onto a noun signifies that noun's possession of what immediately follows. 

Despite WNY's obsession with apostrophes, they NEVER indicate plural. 

Therefore: game 7s is correct. Same as game sevens. The Bills broke my heart repeatedly in the 1990s. NO APOSTROPHE. 

Edited by Richard Noggin
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

APOSTROPHES NEVER SIGNIFY PLURALITY. 

[I'm basing this on my former career as an English professor, but I'm in sales now, so take it for what it's worth] Apostrophes are used to indicate two things, essentially: 1) a contraction combining two words, wherein the apostrophe signifies the splice point and place where letters have been omitted, and 2) possession; an "apostrophe-s ('s)" tacked onto a noun signifies that noun's possession of what immediately follows. 

Despite WNY's obsession with apostrophes, they NEVER indicate plural. 

Therefore: game 7s is correct. Same as game sevens. The Bills broke my heart repeatedly in the 1990s. NO APOSTROPHE. 

Yes!!! I was right 🙂

On 5/15/2022 at 6:56 PM, Weave said:

I'll usually say "im doing well" - which is probably making it wrong 🙂

12 minutes ago, Drag0nDan said:

I'll usually say "im doing well" - which is probably making it wrong 🙂

Actually, I like that.  It takes the guesswork out of whether or not "well" goes there.

On 5/15/2022 at 7:02 PM, carpandean said:

I do, too.  Though, I try to say it as humbly as possible. 🤪

Why do you have to be humble about being smart? Stupid people sure brag enough about how dumb they are.

I've had a lot of low points in my life. Never have I been lower than the one time that a hooker corrected my grammar. "How are you?" She says to me. "Good." I reply. Wow which she says, "Well. You look good. You're doing well."

Glad that English degree was paying off for her.

24 minutes ago, ubkev said:

I've had a lot of low points in my life. Never have I been lower than the one time that a hooker corrected my grammar. "How are you?" She says to me. "Good." I reply. Wow which she says, "Well. You look good. You're doing well."

Glad that English degree was paying off for her.

Seems she was a cunning linguist.  So, it likely was working for her.  😉

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.