22-23 opening day line up

sweetlou

26 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

My problem is people don’t want to make any moves to improve.

This idea of just wait because this group is guaranteed to be really good is fallacy. There is no guarantee this group will magically turn a corner.

I’m not advocating making stupid moves and giving up top end young talent. But if you can add difference makers that elevates the team then you look at it. This “he only has 2 or 3 years of control” is BS. If the player is good enough then sign him to an extension or deal him for a haul before he leaves.

Put your young players in the best position to be successful by surrounding them with top end talent that fits into the culture. 

You can’t have 25-30 young players. You will go nowhere with that.

I want KA to do what's necessary to secure goaltending and a partner for Power.  So those two things, and this team will be on it's way.

14 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Here is my controversial offseason take.

IF the Leafs need to move Nylander for cap I would take a run at him.

I would have him play centre with Asplund and VO as a 2nd line.

He is coming into his own and will not be a centre in Toronto. Point per game player last year and the Leafs best playoff player the past 2 seasons.

I would offer to take Mrazek as part of the deal and put him in Rochester. They want cap space and a young dman that can play. I’m not giving up Quinn, JJ, Krebs etc.

I would offer #16 and Joker for Nylander and Mrazek. Would throw in Portillo as a sweetener if needed. I then sign a couple UFA RHD that are defensively responsible and can add some grit.

Willy is not his brother and has a good rep as a teammate. I think he would fit in well in the room and would breakout even more as a centre here.

Don't have the slightest interest in Nylander; he's a weak willed perimeter player who tends to only show up once and awhile.

Akin to Asplund's offense, the WC Nylander never shows up in the NHL

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

He is coming into his own and will not be a centre in Toronto. Point per game player last year and the Leafs best playoff player the past 2 seasons.

I would offer to take Mrazek as part of the deal and put him in Rochester. They want cap space and a young dman that can play. I’m not giving up Quinn, JJ, Krebs etc.

I would offer #16 and Joker for Nylander and Mrazek. Would throw in Portillo as a sweetener if needed. I then sign a couple UFA RHD that are defensively responsible and can add some grit.

Willy is not his brother and has a good rep as a teammate. I think he would fit in well in the room and would breakout even more as a centre here.

With Tavares Play tailing off, I could see a scenario where Nylander or Marner are moved to Center and JT to the Wing 

22 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Huge no from me. I dislike Nylander so there is that bias.

He has scored some goals in the playoffs for the Leafs but has not led them to anything. He is not what I envision as a playoff performer.

He does not finish any checks, avoids areas that might have a battle and the only shot he ever blocked was playing mini sticks with Alex.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:32 AM, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think any of those would entertain signing with Buffalo and KA will not overpay for some guy that will likely upset the apple cart.

Maybe Brother Nazem will sign here and I would be in full support of that.  Good player that has a lot to offer in a certain type of roll on this or any other team.

IMO, the Sabres are not where they need to be to fill in spots with UFA players, even in net.

Kadri is a guy who could help the Sabres. However, so are Wilson, Marchand, and Gudas. And I don't want any of them on a team I root for. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I guess I’m looking for the Sabres to be really good for 10-15 years     Not marginally better for 2. 

Boy, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

I’m looking for them to just not suck for 1 year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It kinda goes back to our "core" conversation.

Investing key assets and $7 million (more to re-sign him) in Nylander makes him a key part of the core.

Nylander's a good player, but he doesn't really fit what I think (hope?) we are trying to build here. Strikes me as more of a mercenary than a guy who will go through the wall for his teammates or wholeheartedly embrace being in Buffalo.

I'd rather save the picks and prospects and see what Mitts can do in that role for $2.5 million next year while Cozens and Krebs grow behind him.

I'd consider this type of move, but not for this type of player.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

My problem is people don’t want to make any moves to improve.

This idea of just wait because this group is guaranteed to be really good is fallacy. There is no guarantee this group will magically turn a corner.

I’m not advocating making stupid moves and giving up top end young talent. But if you can add difference makers that elevates the team then you look at it. This “he only has 2 or 3 years of control” is BS. If the player is good enough then sign him to an extension or deal him for a haul before he leaves.

Put your young players in the best position to be successful by surrounding them with top end talent that fits into the culture. 

You can’t have 25-30 young players. You will go nowhere with that.

WTF.   I never said I don’t want to go them to make moves.  I’ve said many times they need to bring in 2 defensemen and a goalie - Through the UFA market or a trade IF you can keep that player for many years 

What you proposed of trading away a  1st round pick and prospects for a guy who will be here 2 years is not the answer, IMHO

If you want Nylander, you wait and either get him for free or at a discount as he heads into his UFA 

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Boy, talk about putting the cart before the horse.

I’m looking for them to just not suck for 1 year.

And you really think William Nylander is the missing piece ? 

7 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

WTF.   I never said I don’t want to go them to make moves.  I’ve said many times they need to bring in 2 defensemen and a goalie - Through the UFA market or a trade IF you can keep that player for many years 

What you proposed of trading away a  1st round pick and prospects for a guy who will be here 2 years is not the answer, IMHO

If you want Nylander, you wait and either get him for free or at a discount as he heads into his UFA 

You are so stuck on this 2 years and then he walks. You don’t know that.

It doesn’t even need to be Nylander. They have to spend $20 million to get to the floor. Sign a goalie, sign a dman and trade for an impact forward. Quite easy and improves the team drastically. 

I'm ok with moving Olofsson, one of our under 24yr old prospects, and either one of pick 16 or 28 if we can get another vet player who still has term, or is a RFA who Sabres would control rights.  Sabres need to understand that you need a good mix of proven vets and young players in order to succeed. 

It doesn't have to be Matthew Tkachuk but Sabres need a player like him.  Is there any other player like him who could be had?

I'm starting my research now.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I want KA to do what's necessary to secure goaltending and a partner for Power.  So those two things, and this team will be on it's way.

I'm with you on the goaltending issue, as is everyone else. I thought that Joki was a good partner for Power. It seems to me that he is a good supporting partner for him. That is not to say that the front office doesn't need to add a rugged and more defensive-minded player to the unit. I simply don't understand the disparagement of this efficient player who still has room to get better.  

Just now, JohnC said:

I'm with you on the goaltending issue, as is everyone else. I thought that Joki was a good partner for Power. It seems to me that he is a good supporting partner for him. That is not to say that the front office doesn't need to add a rugged and more defensive-minded player to the unit. I simply don't understand the disparagement of this efficient player who still has room to get better.  

IMHO Jokiharju is an adequate partner for Power but not a good one.  Absolutely want that slot upgraded.  Again, IMHO, Jokiharju is an ideal 5 and if he can get slotted in there on a regular basis the Sabres are a goalie (maybe 2 if Adams is wrong about UPL) & depth at the checking C role away from being legitimately in the mix to make the playoffs even in the stacked east.

• Like (+1) 1

Nick Roy- Vegas- RFA

Erickson- Ek- Wild- signed for 6 more years with cap hit of $5.25 million

Tanner Jeannot- Preds- one more year at 850k than a RFA

Sam Bennett- Florida- 3 years at $4.425 mil AAV until UFA

Ross Colton- Tampa- one more year at $1.125 mil AAV until RFA

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

IMHO Jokiharju is an adequate partner for Power but not a good one.  Absolutely want that slot upgraded.  Again, IMHO, Jokiharju is an ideal 5 and if he can get slotted in there on a regular basis the Sabres are a goalie (maybe 2 if Adams is wrong about UPL) & depth at the checking C role away from being legitimately in the mix to make the playoffs even in the stacked east.

I'm not adverse to an upgrade at any position. However, after hearing a number of comments about Joki from the HC, I think that he holds him in higher esteem than many here do. He also has pointed out that there is still more upside potential in his game. It's apparent that I'm more positive about his game than most residents here are. 

1 hour ago, Crusader1969 said:

He certainly wouldn’t hurt, but I guess there is just no place on the Sabres for a 30+ goal 80 point forward.

This whole “mortgaging the future” thing just has to go away.

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm not adverse to an upgrade at any position. However, after hearing a number of comments about Joki from the HC, I think that he holds him in higher esteem than many here do. He also has pointed out that there is still more upside potential in his game. It's apparent that I'm more positive about his game than most residents here are. 

There absolutely is potential in his game.  He's only 22.  But right now he's a 3rd pairing D-man on a good team.  That he has been a 1st pairing D-man for large stretches of this past season is an indication of how far this team needed to progress talent-wise from where they were on opening night.

And he improved this year.  Dahlin being on an island facing multiple 2-on-1's each game when paired w/ Henri didn't happen after October.  But he still panicks (probably too severe a word, but it conveys what happens) in his own end when facing a strong forecheck & takes himself out of position too often.  They need better from that 4D role, especially if the 3D is going to be filled by a rookie.  Power needs somebody that can cover the mistakes he makes as he learns the NHL game.  That's not in Henri's wheelhouse IMHO.

My ideal scenario is still the Sabres bringing in a solid vet to pair w/ Power until Jiricek (who miraculously slides to 9) is ready in 3 years to step into that role w/ Bryson & Jokiharju manning the 3rd pairing until Johnson is ready to replace Bryson at the end of the year, or sometime the following year.  Pysyk & Fitzgerald fill the 7 & 8 slots u til Bryson sliding down makes Pysyk superfluous.

Keep trying to bring in & develop more young talent, but that is a D you can rely on for years as they all eventually get to their primes & the 5-8 guys can be replaced cheaply when/if they want to try to find their payday elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SwampD said:

He certainly wouldn’t hurt, but I guess there is just no place on the Sabres for a 30+ goal 80 point forward.

Just don't see Adams bringing in a guy that let a contract dispute carry over into the RS.  Don't see him opposed to bringing in a potential 80 point guy, but don't expect he'd bring in THAT one.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Just don't see Adams bringing in a guy that let a contract dispute carry over into the RS.  Don't see him opposed to bringing in a potential 80 point guy, but don't expect he'd bring in THAT one.

Sure, but if he did, I’d be fine with it. I think we need scoring forwards more than we need veteran D.

I was commenting more on the being really good for 10-15 years (as if that’s a given) over getting better for the next 2. Those things are not mutually exclusive and never have been.

We heard it when Kovalchuk was available, and I thought it was stupid then. How’d that future work out for us?… almost ten years later, jfc.

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

There absolutely is potential in his game.  He's only 22.  But right now he's a 3rd pairing D-man on a good team.  That he has been a 1st pairing D-man for large stretches of this past season is an indication of how far this team needed to progress talent-wise from where they were on opening night.

And he improved this year.  Dahlin being on an island facing multiple 2-on-1's each game when paired w/ Henri didn't happen after October.  But he still panicks (probably too severe a word, but it conveys what happens) in his own end when facing a strong forecheck & takes himself out of position too often.  They need better from that 4D role, especially if the 3D is going to be filled by a rookie.  Power needs somebody that can cover the mistakes he makes as he learns the NHL game.  That's not in Henri's wheelhouse IMHO.

My ideal scenario is still the Sabres bringing in a solid vet to pair w/ Power until Jiricek (who miraculously slides to 9) is ready in 3 years to step into that role w/ Bryson & Jokiharju manning the 3rd pairing until Johnson is ready to replace Bryson at the end of the year, or sometime the following year.  Pysyk & Fitzgerald fill the 7 & 8 slots u til Bryson sliding down makes Pysyk superfluous.

Keep trying to bring in & develop more young talent, but that is a D you can rely on for years as they all eventually get to their primes & the 5-8 guys can be replaced cheaply when/if they want to try to find their payday elsewhere.

I think a majority of Jokiharju’s mistakes happened in the 1st half of his season with Dahlin.

Since then 2 things changed: Power and Samuelsson arrived to push him down a couple notches on the depth chart; and 2) he got better.

I am not convinced he is absolutely the best partner for Power next year, but I liked the way he stepped up his assertiveness in that role, and I am convinced he is already a capable 4/5 with upside.

The ideal situation is they bring in a veteran who is better right now, Joki looks at that as a challenge, and by the end of the season establishes himself as a clear 2nd pairing guy for the next decade.

Those two things together make 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think a majority of Jokiharju’s mistakes happened in the 1st half of his season with Dahlin.

Since then 2 things changed: Power and Samuelsson arrived to push him down a couple notches on the depth chart; and 2) he got better.

I am not convinced he is absolutely the best partner for Power next year, but I liked the way he stepped up his assertiveness in that role, and I am convinced he is already a capable 4/5 with upside.

The ideal situation is they bring in a veteran who is better right now, Joki looks at that as a challenge, and by the end of the season establishes himself as a clear 2nd pairing guy for the next decade.

Those two things together make 

It would be great if Jokiharju could grow into a true 4.  But, he's not there yet & honestly might never be.  (Though 1-3 are going to be so good, it won't be crippling as he'll likely be able to do it well enough.)  So, w/ them having a ridiculous amount of cap space ST & really only 1 absolute must have items (a friggin' goalie) would really like to see them address their 2 d biggest hole - #4 D.  (Adding depth at 4C would be the 3rd item to fix.)

Trust that IF he addresses that 4D role, he'll get it right.  So, really want to see him go for that fix.

8 hours ago, SwampD said:

Do you understand the 2 years and then he walks aspect of bringing in Nylander ??  It has nothing to do with “mortgaging the future”.   Its not worth the price the Sabres would have to pay to get him. 

can I ask , wouldn’t it be smarter to back the brinks truck up and sign Forsberg rather than give up assets for 2 years of Nylander ?? 

Edited by Crusader1969

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Do you understand the 2 years and then he walks aspect of bringing in Nylander ??  It has nothing to do with “mortgaging the future”.   Its not worth the price the Sabres would have to pay to get him. 

can I ask , wouldn’t it be smarter to back the brinks truck up and sign Forsberg rather than give up assets for 2 years of Nylander ?? 

I don’t really care. The particulars don’t matter. My point was that I genuinely don’t care about 10-15 years from now. Just get good now.

There is no way to know the answer to that. Does he fit in and the Sabres are really good? Does he re-sign after two years because he loves it here and sees where the Sabres are going?

Does Forsberg push them over the top? I don’t know.

I’m so ***** tired of my team sacrificing the present for the promise of the future. It’s bullsh!t and for some reason this fanbase has completely bought into it. This trade deadline was the first one where we didn’t get worse in over a decade. That is disgusting and I can’t believe I have wasted the amount of time I have on this garbage. Luckily they have gotten none of my money.

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

I don’t really care. The particulars don’t matter. My point was that I genuinely don’t care about 10-15 years from now. Just get good now.

There is no way to know the answer to that. Does he fit in and the Sabres are really good? Does he re-sign after two years because he loves it here and sees where the Sabres are going?

Does Forsberg push them over the top? I don’t know.

I’m so ***** tired of my team sacrificing the present for the promise of the future. It’s bullsh!t and for some reason this fanbase has completely bought into it. This trade deadline was the first one where we didn’t get worse in over a decade. That is disgusting and I can’t believe I have wasted the amount of time I have on this garbage. Luckily they have gotten none of my money.

You guys really need to read better 

1). I never said don’t do anything this summer   I said don’t trade for a guy with 2 years left on his contract 

2) I didn’t say 10-15 years from now.  I said for the next 10-15 years   

6 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

1). I never said don’t do anything this summer   I said don’t trade for a guy with 2 years left on his contract 

There is no reason to be afraid of guys with 2yrs remaining on their deals.  If this team has truly turned a corner that is ample time to convince a guy to stay for another extension.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Not sure what you read either. Nothing I wrote put words in your mouth.

I don’t care about the next 10-15 years if we continually sacrifice the current 2 to make sure they are good.

And if you don’t Like Nylander, just say you don’t like Nylander, but if a guy with 2 years on his contract makes us better, do it. Luckily, it’s not my job to know if it will be a good fit.

I’m just sick of being fed excuses on why we have to wait for our team to be good. Isn’t eleven years long enough?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.