22-23 opening day line up

sweetlou

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Cap hit doesn't matter. They have tons of room. We grab injured goalies just to get to the floor. 

He's better than Bryson, that's all. We'd be better with him on the bottom pairing but we don't want to be a winning NHL team. We want to be a training ground AHL type team to become a future winning team so whatever. 

I think the guys know what the salary structure and the overall plan is, and have bought in.  Spending $4MM x 2 years on a mediocre vet outsider who may be a slight upgrade at #6 D would be a major departure from that plan -- which has negative effects in the room -- for almost zero on-ice return.  I also think that KA and DG think that one of their #6-#8 guys will be at least as good as Reilly by the end of this season.

As for the bolded -- IMHO it's more accurate to say that KA's plan is to grow a team into a perennial Cup contender, not to scrape into the playoffs this year at all costs.

48 minutes ago, Curt said:

I worry about Krebs-Cozens-Peterka.  Seems like that could really kneecap Cozens.  We’ll see how Krebs/Peterka do.

My guess is that Krebs starts out looking mediocre and ineffective, and JJP starts out looking lost.  There will be much anguish on this board about them.

By game 12 or so, I think Krebs will look solid and JJP will improve to mediocre (by which, @Taro T and @Thorny, I mean average or a bit below average but in a pejorative way, but anyone who responds with a linguistics dissertation will get thrown in the SabreSpace dungeon).  By game 25, I think Krebs will look good and JJP will look solid and bristling with potential. 

If we're very lucky, that potential will force its way out in the 2nd half of the season.

18 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I like it.  The 3 letter-wearers, plus TT, Tuch and the FNG.

• Disagree 1

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned similar reasons for Peterka starting with the Sabres in His Presser this AM

Sheahan will be on IR to start the year 

I think that top line has a 65% chance of being a top 32 scoring. That second line has about a 30% chance of being a top 64 scoring line. The third line has a 25% chance at being a top 96 scoring line. The fourth line with KO in for Vinny should be a top 20 line defensively pretty guaranteed. 

I am a bit worried about the D. People mentioning a concern about depth are right. Only 7 guys and your 6th man is Bryson who hasn’t looked like an NHLer. 

Will they ever get tired of signing/sending Pilut down when he’s one of their 6 best d-men? Why bother if you aren’t going to ice your best roster

Edited by Thorny

18 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think the guys know what the salary structure and the overall plan is, and have bought in.  Spending $4MM x 2 years on a mediocre vet outsider who may be a slight upgrade at #6 D would be a major departure from that plan -- which has negative effects in the room -- for almost zero on-ice return.  I also think that KA and DG think that one of their #6-#8 guys will be at least as good as Reilly by the end of this season.

As for the bolded -- IMHO it's more accurate to say that KA's plan is to grow a team into a perennial Cup contender, not to scrape into the playoffs this year at all costs.

My guess is that Krebs starts out looking mediocre and ineffective, and JJP starts out looking lost.  There will be much anguish on this board about them.

By game 12 or so, I think Krebs will look solid and JJP will improve to mediocre (by which, @Taro T and @Thorny, I mean average or a bit below average but in a pejorative way, but anyone who responds with a linguistics dissertation will get thrown in the SabreSpace dungeon).  By game 25, I think Krebs will look good and JJP will look solid and bristling with potential. 

If we're very lucky, that potential will force its way out in the 2nd half of the season.

I wasn’t the one taking issue with the definition, enough. Made it clear from the beginning the way I was using the term in my post. 

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

26 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Sir, you are a great poster here, but sometimes it's not a bad idea to just let something go.

I imagine that time was between the hour you posted about it, and my response? 

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Is Okposo nicked up? I saw Lysowski’s Tweet about how he’s rotating in on the Asplund/Girgensons line.

10 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It's his first time practicing in several days, yes he's nicked up.

He’s in a non contact jersey 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Curt said:

I worry about Krebs-Cozens-Peterka.  Seems like that could really kneecap Cozens.  We’ll see how Krebs/Peterka do.

That's what I noticed in the preseason game. Cozens looks ready to take a step forward but many times he was left on his own and had nobody to pass to, no play to make, so he just tries to go towards goal on his own and 1 against 2 or 3 got nowhere. It's going to hurt him to not have solid and NHL ready line mates. 

4 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I do understand the argument, and I'm not opposed to building with the draft at all, but I just think we are relying on a few too many unproven kids at once. We have to learn how to win games as well. I think they have gone too far in one direction. 

The salary thing is a non issue. 2 years fits perfectly into a structure/plan that will perhaps need more money at that point. There's tons of money left on this team's cap. 

19 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

That's what I noticed in the preseason game. Cozens looks ready to take a step forward but many times he was left on his own and had nobody to pass to, no play to make, so he just tries to go towards goal on his own and 1 against 2 or 3 got nowhere. It's going to hurt him to not have solid and NHL ready line mates. 

Yes, I agree with you from what I saw in pre-season but I trust that Granato will switch up this line if it's not working with Cozens, JJ and Krebs.  There are options to switch up the trio with Hinostroza, Asplund, Okposo.  I doubt his lines are firmly set right now.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.