22-23 opening day line up

sweetlou

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

From today's Buffalo News:

"Peterka led all AHL rookies with 68 points in 70 games, recording the most points by an AHL player in his under-20 season since Guy Chouinard had 80 as a 19-year-old with Nova Scotia in 1975-76."

I don't get those who are reluctant to pencil Peterka into the lineup next year. He had a season like Vanek in 04/05.

When kids dominate in the minors, they move up. That's how it works. It's called earning it.

And JJP did that without Quinn on his line for what, 20 - 25 games? One has to think points were lost there while Quinn was out injured.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

And JJP did that without Quinn on his line for what, 20 - 25 games? One has to think points were lost there while Quinn was out injured.

Maybe, maybe not.  The majority of his scoring in the playoffs has come when he's out w/ Krebs & IIRC Biro on the other wing rather than Quinn.  He's played w/ Quinn a little in the playoffs, but they aren't regularly linemates.

On 5/17/2022 at 3:27 PM, Taro T said:

Maybe, maybe not.  The majority of his scoring in the playoffs has come when he's out w/ Krebs & IIRC Biro on the other wing rather than Quinn.  He's played w/ Quinn a little in the playoffs, but they aren't regularly linemates.

There are many games JJP put the team on his back and carried them to victory 

put him in pen on the Sabres 2022 starting lineup

8 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

There are many games JJP put the team on his back and carried them to victory 

put him in pen on the Sabres 2022 starting lineup

In the playoffs, the same could be said about R2 Rou2.  Those 2, along w/ Krebs, have been the offensive drivers.  Is R2 getting penned into the opening day lineup as well?

If Peterka continues his strong play in the playoffs, he is earning getting penciled into a slot to be beaten out to not make the opening lineup.  But let's see how he does versus Laval before putting that in pen.  He didn't do much in the RS game that @Weave was talking about in an Amerks thread.

10 hours ago, Taro T said:

In the playoffs, the same could be said about R2 Rou2.  Those 2, along w/ Krebs, have been the offensive drivers.  Is R2 getting penned into the opening day lineup as well?

I think part of R2’s issue is that he’s already been up twice and couldn’t stick and his lack of role on the team. He doesn’t have a bot 6 role he plays. Peterka could play both Top 6 or Bot 6 based on his style of uptempo play.

Krebs already has a spot barring a terrible offseason and Quinn got pencilled in due to his regular season play and success.

R2 also has to deal with his primary role is already occupied fully by Olofsson.

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I think part of R2’s issue is that he’s already been up twice and couldn’t stick and his lack of role on the team. He doesn’t have a bot 6 role he plays. Peterka could play both Top 6 or Bot 6 based on his style of uptempo play.

Krebs already has a spot barring a terrible offseason and Quinn got pencilled in due to his regular season play and success.

R2 also has to deal with his primary role is already occupied fully by Olofsson.

I’m so happy we finally have our prospects having to earn their spot into the lineup. Get us a goalie, GM Sheevyn!

But what I want to state is… I don’t gift Quinn a spot. I sign VO. Screw blocking. Block ‘em! Make the prospects be the better player. It’s finally happening. 
I’ve long been saying JJP doesn’t make the squad out of camp. But the AHL playoffs are showing… maybe JJP is the one in the bottom 6 to start and Quinn is the first injury callup as he is the one who needs more all around refinement. 

Edited by DarthEbriate

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

A Copp or a Giroux or hell a Kadri would be amazing for this team. Only one of those players would entertain a shorter term deal however. 
But for giggles, entertain a Giroux short term and a Letang longer term and a MAF goalie with the current squad. That’s a playoff-competitive lineup. (Especially if Bergeron retires. Or just leaves Boston.)

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Likely more than KA wants to pay.  It would probably be 5 for 5.5 or 6.

Think so? That’s an awful lot for a goalie who may have been lower ranked than UPL a year ago and essentially has one good 40-game season under his belt.

Only 7 goalies make more than 6 per season, 12 more than $5.5.

Lehner and Ullmark got 5, the latter over 4 years, the former 5. Each were more proven than Husso. 

Driedger was last years Husso and he got 3 X 3.5

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Think so? That’s an awful lot for a goalie who may have been lower ranked than UPL a year ago and essentially has one good 40-game season under his belt.

Lehner and Ullmark got 5, the latter over 4 years, the former 5. Each were more proven than Husso. 

Husso is going to be a fascinating offseason case. He's got the 1-year wonder going against him and the St. Louis-UFA goalie recency bias (Jake Allen has been meh, Carter Hutton was a bomb).

I think you're right --- Husso is a prove-it bridge candidate and should be a potential Sabres target to still give UPL the backup role. I'd prefer MAF or Campbell myself, but Husso could be pretty neat if he can continue his growth.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Evolving Hockey’s Contract Projections are out they have Husso at 4 years 4.9 Million AAV 

Campbell is 6 years at 5.7 Million AAV FWIW

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Don’t have much interest in anyone besides Letang or Copp. I don’t see any reason why Giroux would come here. 

Totally in agreement on the interest. Giroux's reason would be $$$ on a short-term and the gentleman's agreement of trading to the bestest contender out there (no NMC/M-NTC, we'll send you to the best who is offering the best pick) if the Sabres don't happen to be in contention at the deadline.

2 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Husso is going to be a fascinating offseason case. He's got the 1-year wonder going against him and the St. Louis-UFA goalie recency bias (Jake Allen has been meh, Carter Hutton was a bomb).

I think you're right --- Husso is a prove-it bridge candidate and should be a potential Sabres target to still give UPL the backup role. I'd prefer MAF or Campbell myself, but Husso could be pretty neat if he can continue his growth.

I thought Husso was just OK tonight. 

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Evolving Hockey’s Contract Projections are out they have Husso at 4 years 4.9 Million AAV 

Campbell is 6 years at 5.7 Million AAV FWIW

New higher cap, new limited market and "no more pandemic" (Please note I put no more pandemic in quotes because I just got COVID a second time and yes I've had all 3 shots.  On the good news the Paxlovid works wonders and I'm getting better in 3 days).  Now back to the thread.  

I think GM's are more likely back to spending stupidly this off-season.  Goaltending, as we have learned, is a difficult resource to predict and consistently good goaltending is nearly impossible to find.  It only takes one GM to think Husso is the next star and he'll get his $.  My figures might be to pessimistic, but the UFA market for good goaltending is going to be very limited this off-season and Husso will definitely be in demand as he is the only UFA goalie under 30 who played in 40 or more games.  He is going to get more then Dreidger last season almost certainly.  He'll get at least as much as Ullmark did, if not more.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

New higher cap, new limited market and "no more pandemic" (Please note I put no more pandemic in quotes because I just got COVID a second time and yes I've had all 3 shots.  On the good news the Paxlovid works wonders and I'm getting better in 3 days).  Now back to the thread.  

I think GM's are more likely back to spending stupidly this off-season.  Goaltending, as we have learned, is a difficult resource to predict and consistently good goaltending is nearly impossible to find.  It only takes one GM to think Husso is the next star and he'll get his $.  My figures might be to pessimistic, but the UFA market for good goaltending is going to be very limited this off-season and Husso will definitely be in demand as he is the only UFA goalie under 30 who played in 40 or more games.  He is going to get more then Dreidger last season almost certainly.  He'll get at least as much as Ullmark did, if not more.

The cap still won’t be going up significantly for a couple years as the players are still repaying “supposed” advances owners paid during COVID years. The cap isn’t expected to reflect true revenue till 25/26 season.

Edited by tom webster

3 hours ago, tom webster said:

The cap still won’t be going up significantly for a couple years as the players are still repaying “supposed” advances owners paid during COVID years. The cap isn’t expected to reflect true revenue till 25/26 season.

Whether the cap is increased or not I don't believe the Sabres are going to significantly increase their payroll. The owners are, at least for the short-term, dealing with a challenging cash/flow situation. It's going to be a challenge to meet the cap floor let alone consider increasing payroll to add any impact players. I'm not criticizing how money is currently being spent because keeping the payroll low is the right business decision considering where this team is with its young roster. In my view, the best business and financial strategy is to assemble a playoff contending team so that the diminished fanbase because more invested in the product. 

38 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Whether the cap is increased or not I don't believe the Sabres are going to significantly increase their payroll. The owners are, at least for the short-term, dealing with a challenging cash/flow situation. It's going to be a challenge to meet the cap floor let alone consider increasing payroll to add any impact players. I'm not criticizing how money is currently being spent because keeping the payroll low is the right business decision considering where this team is with its young roster. In my view, the best business and financial strategy is to assemble a playoff contending team so that the diminished fanbase because more invested in the product. 

I tend to agree. The team played better at the end of the year, so they will spend a BIT more with hopes that attendance will be up going into next season. If the teams improves even more and attendance/cash flow go back up, then they will spend a little more next year...and hopefully that cycle will continue.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

A) I was responding to previous post stating that raising cap will spur spending around the league this off-season. Cap is only going up $1M this year and probably each of the next three years before rising significantly 

B) While I don’t believe the Sabres should spend crazy this off season and I understand the way they have gone about the last couple of years, I disagree with your continued assertions that it has any to do with cash flow. The league has done a pretty good job of managing the pandemic and continued escalation of the value of these franchises shows that while they may like to claim poverty and explain things away, businesses that double in value in a short term are not likely hemorrhaging cash. Smart, prudent spending is what’s called for to reinvigorate the fans but if they wanted to, they could easily justify spending to the cap. It made no sense to spend more last year. This year and going forward it is more easily justified. 

Edited by tom webster
  • Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A) I was responding to previous post stating that raising cap will spur spending around the league this off-season. Cap is only going up $1M this year and probably each of the next three years before rising significantly 

B) While I don’t believe the Sabres should spend crazy this off season and I understand the way they have gone about the last couple of years, I disagree with your continued assertions that it has any to do with cash flow. The league has done a pretty good job of managing the pandemic and continued escalation of the value of these franchises shows that while they may like to claim poverty and explain things away, businesses that double in value in a short term are not likely hemorrhaging cash. Smart, prudent spending is what’s called for to reinvigorate the fans but if they wanted to, they could easily justify spending to the cap.

I consider you a realist with respect to how the Sabres are managing the franchise. I agree with you that a strong argument can be made justifying spending to the cap (as you noted). Based on how this franchise has recently been run there is not a scintilla of a chance that the Sabres will come close to the cap. The greater challenge is going to be meeting the cap floor than it will be to spend money beyond anywhere near the cap ceiling. 

The below link shows that the Sabres had an operating income at minus $40 M. You have to consider the covid situation when factoring in the financial picture. The primary point that I'm making and sticking with is that money considerations are a major factor in how this team operates for the next couple of years. I agree with you that by judiciously increasing spending it will bring back greater return on investment by increasing attendance revenue but I'm skeptical that for the near future that it will happen. 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/374838/buffalo-sabres-operating-income/

Edited by JohnC

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.