Jump to content

Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28


WildCard
 Share

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Is anyone a little worried Kasper is Zemgus Girgensons ?

he’s mature on and off the ice, and one of the best all-around prospects with high character and work ethic. At best, he projects as a 2C; at worst, a 3C.

-Bob McKenzie-

Possible, but I'm not really worried about it. I suppose it comes down to whether or not you think Mitts/Cozens or Krebs is a legit #2 center (assuming Tage at #1). If for example you think Mitts will take the great leap forward this year drafting a sure fire Zemgus replacement isn't a terrible outcome. We're going to need all kinds of players on the roster in different roles. Kasper is a relatively safe pick and the work ethic is definitely what you want going forward. Having said that, I'm thinking I'd probably still pick Savoie. 

It will be interesting (and perhaps tempting) to see how far the Russians fall. 

I'd still like to see them pick Warren or Lamoureux, but if McKenzie's draft order holds up that would be sweet at 41 (Warren). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think a team targeting a D might want to be giving Adams a call to vault up to 9.

I think it’s likely there’s a run shortly after Buffalo’s pick.

Wonder what teams picking between 11 and 15 might give up to move up. 

We could move down and still pick up a good forward.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Is anyone a little worried Kasper is Zemgus Girgensons ?

he’s mature on and off the ice, and one of the best all-around prospects with high character and work ethic. At best, he projects as a 2C; at worst, a 3C.

-Bob McKenzie-

At 16?  Thats not a bad outcome.  It’s not ideal, but statically getting a Zemgus there isn’t bad.

  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Is anyone a little worried Kasper is Zemgus Girgensons ?

he’s mature on and off the ice, and one of the best all-around prospects with high character and work ethic. At best, he projects as a 2C; at worst, a 3C.

-Bob McKenzie-

I like him a lot but I think 9 may be too early. He may be gone at 16 so it is a difficult choice. I would take Savoie or Nazar at 9 and hope Kasper is still there at 16. If Kasper is gone I would look at Yurov, Ohgren and Lambert.

I really hope Kemell, Lekkerimaki and one of the LHD go top 8 but I doubt it. I would prefer a C at 9, even a potential C like Gauthier.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Pronman did a Full Mock Draft, here are the Sabres Picks 

 

Buffalo Sabres
9. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)
16. Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)
28. Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
41. Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)
74. Adam Ingram, C, Youngstown (USHL)
106. Arseni Koromyslov, LHD, Ska St. Petersburg 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)
134. Jake Livanavage, LHD, Chicago (USHL)
170. Maxim Barbashev, LW, Moncton (QMJHL)
187. Kocha Delic, C, Sudbury (OHL)
202. Matthew Maggio, RW, Windsor (OHL)
211. Owen Millward, G, Janesville (NAHL)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)

Not surprisingly I think Buffalo will be looking to add skill and offense at their pick. The names I’ve heard here the most often are Savoie, Kemell, Kasper and Lekkerimaki.
 

16. Buffalo Sabres: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)

It feels like a lot of people in and outside the league are predicting Yurov with the Sabres pick. I do think it’s a strong possibility but if they went in a different direction, I could see Ostlund here too.

 

28. Buffalo Sabres: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

It’s hard to imagine Buffalo walking away from their three first round picks without any natural centers or a defensemen. They pick Bystedt in this mock; he is a tall, fast center with some offensive touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)

Not surprisingly I think Buffalo will be looking to add skill and offense at their pick. The names I’ve heard here the most often are Savoie, Kemell, Kasper and Lekkerimaki.
 

16. Buffalo Sabres: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)

It feels like a lot of people in and outside the league are predicting Yurov with the Sabres pick. I do think it’s a strong possibility but if they went in a different direction, I could see Ostlund here too.

 

28. Buffalo Sabres: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

It’s hard to imagine Buffalo walking away from their three first round picks without any natural centers or a defensemen. They pick Bystedt in this mock; he is a tall, fast center with some offensive touch.

Saw this mock and taking Bystedt at 28 would be a hell of a reach. At 41 sure maybe but honestly he's a 3rd round guy who might be a bottom 6 center in 5 years if you can fix his skating and processing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Happy Days said:

If the Sabres are unsure if they can sign Ryan Johnson, they should trade him as part of a trade up in the draft.

True but obviously the acquiring team would have the same concerns

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Probably doesn’t mean anything, but the Sabres own website profiled:

Savoie, Kasper, Kemmel, Lekkerimaki and Gauthier as possibilities at 9

Kulich Yurov, Snuggerud, Geekie and Korchinski at 16

and Miroshnichenko, Lambert, McGroarty, Firkus and Hutson at 28

 

  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Pronman did a Full Mock Draft, here are the Sabres Picks 

 

Buffalo Sabres
9. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)
16. Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)
28. Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
41. Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)
74. Adam Ingram, C, Youngstown (USHL)
106. Arseni Koromyslov, LHD, Ska St. Petersburg 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)
134. Jake Livanavage, LHD, Chicago (USHL)
170. Maxim Barbashev, LW, Moncton (QMJHL)
187. Kocha Delic, C, Sudbury (OHL)
202. Matthew Maggio, RW, Windsor (OHL)
211. Owen Millward, G, Janesville (NAHL)

Pronman clearly hasn't read up on the RHD pipeline of Laaksonen, Lyckasen, and Nyberg. Somewhere they're taking 1 or 2 RHD. And... two goalies. Keep the pipeline full and the competition stoked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Pronman did a Full Mock Draft, here are the Sabres Picks 

 

Buffalo Sabres
9. Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)
16. Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)
28. Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)
41. Adam Sykora, LW, Nitra (SLOVAKIA)
74. Adam Ingram, C, Youngstown (USHL)
106. Arseni Koromyslov, LHD, Ska St. Petersburg 2 (RUSSIA-JR.)
134. Jake Livanavage, LHD, Chicago (USHL)
170. Maxim Barbashev, LW, Moncton (QMJHL)
187. Kocha Delic, C, Sudbury (OHL)
202. Matthew Maggio, RW, Windsor (OHL)
211. Owen Millward, G, Janesville (NAHL)

Owen Millward at 211? Kind of a reach, isn't it? lol 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

Pronman clearly hasn't read up on the RHD pipeline of Laaksonen, Lyckasen, and Nyberg. Somewhere they're taking 1 or 2 RHD. And... two goalies. Keep the pipeline full and the competition stoked.

I think they need to get one RHD in their first four picks. 41 is the most likely impo. Nelson, Salomonsson, Rinzel, Havelid may not become top 4 guys but would help the pipeline. Shea Weber was a second rounder that did OK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I think they need to get one RHD in their first four picks. 41 is the most likely impo. Nelson, Salomonsson, Rinzel, Havelid may not become top 4 guys but would help the pipeline. Shea Weber was a second rounder that did OK.

I'm also taking a RHD in the top 41; wherever the BPA matches the # the best (probably 28/41). Heck, Chesley becoming a McCabe-type would be acceptable for the next 6 years (particularly if Power, Muel, and Rasmus all continue to meet their potential).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgarden (SWEDEN)

Not surprisingly I think Buffalo will be looking to add skill and offense at their pick. The names I’ve heard here the most often are Savoie, Kemell, Kasper and Lekkerimaki.
 

16. Buffalo Sabres: Danila Yurov, RW, Magnitogorsk (RUSSIA)

It feels like a lot of people in and outside the league are predicting Yurov with the Sabres pick. I do think it’s a strong possibility but if they went in a different direction, I could see Ostlund here too.

 

28. Buffalo Sabres: Filip Bystedt, C, Linkoping Jr. (SWEDEN-JR.)

It’s hard to imagine Buffalo walking away from their three first round picks without any natural centers or a defensemen. They pick Bystedt in this mock; he is a tall, fast center with some offensive touch.

If this was how it all unfolded I would like it minus Bystedt

9) Nazar

16) Yurov

28) rather his be Lambert, Firkus, Beck as opposed to Bystedt who you can again, take 41st or maybe even 74th. Wait to much of a reach IMPO.

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If this was how it all unfolded I would like it minus Bystedt

9) Nazar

16) Yurov

28) rather his be Lambert, Firkus, Beck as opposed to Bystedt who you can again, take 41st or maybe even 74th. Wait to much of a reach IMPO.

Would you be comfortable drafting two of Miro, Yurov, and Lambert in the first? Don’t know if I love the idea of grabbing two. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we were to walk away with Savoie and Yurov that would probably the biggest injection of forward talent we could possibly hope for.

Each has mitigating questions that pushes them down, but in terms of raw offensive skill I don’t see either as being significantly different from the big 3 forwards at the top of the draft.

  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If we don’t come away with 2 D from our top 4 picks I’ll be very disappointed.  Kris Baker in his recent visit with the Instigators couldn’t harp enough on the lack of D in our system. He did say he expects some D late in the draft like Pronman suggested, but he also said we need high quality defensive D like Chesley and Odelius in our pipeline and on the Sabres long-term.  Those type guys will be available at 28 and 41 and if we grab more forwards with 9 and 16.  We better get D with the next picks.

Don’t forget in KA’s 16 picks so far he has taken 13 forwards and only 3 D. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we don’t come away with 2 D from our top 4 picks I’ll be very disappointed.  Kris Baker in his recent visit with the Instigators couldn’t harp enough on the lack of D in our system. He did say he expects some D late in the draft like Pronman suggested, but he also said we need high quality defensive D like Chesley and Odelius in our pipeline and on the Sabres long-term.  Those type guys will be available at 28 and 41 and if we grab more forwards with 9 and 16.  We better get D with the next picks.

Don’t forget in KA’s 16 picks so far he has taken 13 forwards and only 3 D. 

Don’t forget the Sabres have 5 defencemen who were top 32 picks from the past 5 drafts, including 2 that were 1st overall. You’d be hard-pressed to find another team that has invested so much draft capital into the position during that span.

Sure there is a need to ensure a pipeline behind that group, but it’s going to be your core for the foreseeable future.

There are 7 other picks available after pick 41 and another 4 1st and 2nd rounders next year.

Take what this draft gives you. There is no need to force anything.

  • Like (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Don’t forget the Sabres have 5 defencemen who were top 32 picks from the past 5 drafts, including 2 that were 1st overall. You’d be hard-pressed to find another team that has invested so much draft capital into the position during that span.

Sure there is a need to ensure a pipeline behind that group, but it’s going to be your core for the foreseeable future.

There are 7 other picks available after pick 41 and another 4 1st and 2nd rounders next year.

Take what this draft gives you. There is no need to force anything.

The Sabres only have 3 D that you can genuinely project to here long-term in Samuelsson, Power and Dahlin.  Bryson, Joki, Fitz are all replaceable and we need guys in the system that can replace and hopefully upgrade them over time.  This is the best way to manage the cap.

Right now we have not one prospect in the pipeline who we can safely project to be one of those replacements.  Johnson may become a UFA, Novikov may never come over from Russia and Laaksonen may never be good enough defensively.  We also have only one D prospect in the AHL and none other than Johnson who plays in NA.  

With 11 picks including 4 in the top 41, KA must some higher end D.  “Take what this draft gives you” is BPA and it doesn’t exist.  The ranking difference between Gaucher, Chesley and Luneau is miniscule.  I like Gaucher but if we have taken two forwards already, you don’t add another, you take Chesley or Luneau.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres only have 3 D that you can genuinely project to here long-term in Samuelsson, Power and Dahlin.  Bryson, Joki, Fitz are all replaceable and we need guys in the system that can replace and hopefully upgrade them over time.  This is the best way to manage the cap.

This, minus undervaluing Joki, is more or less true.

It in no way means the Sabres have to pick defencemen among their top 4 choices this year.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Right now we have not one prospect in the pipeline who we can safely project to be one of those replacements.  Johnson may become a UFA, Novikov may never come over from Russia and Laaksonen may never be good enough defensively.  We also have only one D prospect in the AHL and none other than Johnson who plays in NA.  
 

The same thing could be said about centres and goalies.

Right now, UPL is in Buffalo, Levi and Portillo are unsigned. 

Right now, there is no burning need for those defence replacements. Nor should there be for a few years, given the age of our existing group.

Mark Pysyks can be signed to fill out the depth chart as well as Craig Andersons.

4 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

With 11 picks including 4 in the top 41, KA must some higher end D.  “Take what this draft gives you” is BPA and it doesn’t exist.  The ranking difference between Gaucher, Chesley and Luneau is miniscule.  I like Gaucher but if we have taken two forwards already, you don’t add another, you take Chesley or Luneau.  


I’d take Chesley at 28 too. Good example of taking what the draft gives you.

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

If we were to walk away with Savoie and Yurov that would probably the biggest injection of forward talent we could possibly hope for.

Each has mitigating questions that pushes them down, but in terms of raw offensive skill I don’t see either as being significantly different from the big 3 forwards at the top of the draft.

Savoie would be the guy I would be happiest with at #9. He reminds me a lot of Briere with the build, skating, shot and feistiness. But with the injection of the Analytics Dept and Forton and crew’s work the past few years I will be happy with whoever the pick is there.

If we keep all 3 picks I think we will be adding 3 very good pieces even if some might disagree with the individual picks at the time.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...