Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

I understand the frustration due to the systemic ineptitude of this organization. But it would be a horrible mistake to deviate from this regime's rebuild plan due to impatience. The resorting to expediency and a quick-fix mentality are what has set this franchise back for half a generation. No one needs to agree with everything  this young GM has done in his short tenure. What he has done right is establish a blueprint for the rebuild and with discipline adhere to it. This process is working and is materializing at a faster pace than I thought possible when he first took over the stewardship of this bedraggled franchise. I encourage you to be a little more patient. The last third of the past season should provide you with some realistic hope. Stay the course. 

Agreed they should stay the course and no quick fixes.  Im only saying that the team improving should be the expectation and it shouldn’t take a 5 year plan.  Let’s hope KA can find us a goalie and we take the next step. I’m not saying contender but year 3 under KA it’s time to be in the playoff hunt late in the season. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/1/2022 at 12:11 PM, dudacek said:

I am starting think there’s are only 8 legitimate top 10 picks in this draft (Wright, Slav, Cooley, Nemec, Gauthier, Jiricek, Kemmel, Savoie, roughly in that order.)

If none of them fall, I think the player next most likely to become a core piece might be Miroshnichenko.

Isn’t Yurov thought to be the better Russian?  Miroshnichenko seems more like pick 28 

42 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Geekie sounds very much like the kind of player the Sabres are trying to build around, the work ethic, the connection with Krebs, plus he's got good size for an 18-year-old at 6'-3", 197.

https://www.buffalohockeybeat.com/nhl-draft-prospect-conor-geekie-could-be-intriguing-pick-for-sabres/

At 16 sure, think they can do better at 9 

• Like (+1) 2

Geekie is probably a guy I’m guilty of overlooking.

Big guy, great hands, very confident, the Krebs/Patrick connection; this is a guy who could be a top 6 centre, and top 6 centres who are pushing 6’4” are gold. He’s got some pretty highlight tape.

Rightly or wrongly, I don’t get that “driven” vibe from him that characterizes the Quinn/Krebs/Peterka/Cozens thing we’ve been gravitating to. I get the sense he’s used to being the best without having to give it his all.

Couple that with pedestrian speed and he doesn’t scream Adams to me.

But a few months back we talked a lot about the real need to be adding talent up the middle. There won’t be a better chance to do that at 16 than Geekie. There may not be a better chance at 9.

Personally he scares me. That said, when it comes to character I’m willing to give this front office the benefit of the doubt.

Too often guys like this turn into Dylan Strome. Sometimes though, they turn into Jeff Carter.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Isn’t Yurov thought to be the better Russian?  Miroshnichenko seems more like pick 28 

Not really.  Miroshnichenko was definitely more highly regarded before those season and before his illness.  I’m doubtful that he is there at 28.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Geekie is probably a guy I’m guilty of overlooking.

Big guy, great hands, very confident, the Krebs/Patrick connection; this is a guy who could be a top 6 centre, and top 6 centres who are pushing 6’4” are gold. He’s got some pretty highlight tape.

Rightly or wrongly, I don’t get that “driven” vibe from him that characterizes the Quinn/Krebs/Peterka/Cozens thing we’ve been gravitating to. I get the sense he’s used to being the best without having to give it his all.

Couple that with pedestrian speed and he doesn’t scream Adams to me.

But a few months back we talked a lot about the real need to be adding talent up the middle. There won’t be a better chance to do that at 16 than Geekie. There may not be a better chance at 9.

Personally he scares me. That said, when it comes to character I’m willing to give this front office the benefit of the doubt.

Too often guys like this turn into Dylan Strome. Sometimes though, they turn into Jeff Carter.

He has all the physical tools, except he needs to work on his skating a good amount. People said the same thing about Draisaital though, and he turned out to be a top 10 player In the league. I’m not sure I want him at 9, but what would be very happy with him at 16. Doubt he makes it there though.

11 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

He has all the physical tools, except he needs to work on his skating a good amount. People said the same thing about Draisaital though, and he turned out to be a top 10 player In the league. I’m not sure I want him at 9, but what would be very happy with him at 16. Doubt he makes it there though.

Geekie is alright.  Skill level is not comparable for me though.

On his own team, Geekie was 5th in points and 6th in goals.  70 points in 62 games.

In his draft season, Draisaitl was 1st on his team in scoring by a margin of 32 points. 105 points in 64 games.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Curt said:

On his own team, Geekie was 5th in points and 6th in goals.  70 points in 62 games.

In his draft season, Draisaitl was 1st on his team in scoring by a margin of 32 points. 105 points in 64 games.

This is exactly how you evaluate prospects. Bam.

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

Can't see Miroshnichenko falling to 28.  If the Sabres want him, expect they'll have to take him at 16.  Which is OK if they land a guy they have a lot of faith in at 9 & it kind of sends them off in search of D at 28.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Taro T said:

Can't see Miroshnichenko falling to 28.  If the Sabres want him, expect they'll have to take him at 16.  Which is OK if they land a guy they have a lot of faith in at 9 & it kind of sends them off in search of D at 28.

I definitely want them to take a swing for a home run at 16.   Lambert, Yurov and Miroshnichenko would all fit the bill. 

• Like (+1) 1

So Kasper is just a shade under 6’1” 190 and played the full season plus a playoff run in SHL, as well as the men’s worlds this year for Austria.

If we picked him, it seems likely to me he’d be headed for Rochester next year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's the thing with Gauthier, Liam Ohgren is basically the Swedish version and I think I can get him at 16. I'm leaning swinging for Nazar at 9 and gambling on Ohgren being there at 16.

The big difference between Gauthier and Ohgren is that apparently everyone thinks that Gauthier is going to be a center in the NHL.  That is a large part of what is propelling Gauthier up draft boards.

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

So Kasper is just a shade under 6’1” 190 and played the full season plus a playoff run in SHL, as well as the men’s worlds this year for Austria.

If we picked him, it seems likely to me he’d be headed for Rochester next year.

Kasper is signed through the 22 season in the SHL.

17 minutes ago, Curt said:

The big difference between Gauthier and Ohgren is that apparently everyone thinks that Gauthier is going to be a center in the NHL.  That is a large part of what is propelling Gauthier up draft boards.

Let it I say. He might end up at center but that's drafting for position if a team does that and you're adding more chance into the formula because he's learning center currently.  I'd rather take Nazar who has more skill at 9 than hope Gauthier becomes a center I think. 

Jets GM says they haven’t started talks with Dubois and want to restock their prospects pool.

Would you trade #9 as part of a package for Dubois? The pick would be a main piece if the deal.

I could see the Jets wanting Manitoba boy Geekie if he is there at 9. Winnipeg have trouble keeping players that want to stay there. Getting a young home grown star would be big.

Dubois and Cozens give you a dominating playoff line for the next decade. 

What if Adams goes massive and tries to land Dubois and Hellebuyck?

Probably not going to happen but nothing at 9 enthuses me as much as adding a stud like Dubois.

Edited by Flashsabre

10 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Jets GM says they haven’t started talks with Dubois and want to restock their prospects pool.

Why haven't they? He's gonna be 24 so the restock the pool thing sounds like bs. If you're trading or considering trading 24yr olds you traded for 2 years ago to restock your pool, what's the problem with the 24yr old? 

Not opposed to the idea but I have questions since this is the 2nd team PLD seems to be forcing a trade from. 

32 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Kasper is signed through the 22 season in the SHL.

Let it I say. He might end up at center but that's drafting for position if a team does that and you're adding more chance into the formula because he's learning center currently.  I'd rather take Nazar who has more skill at 9 than hope Gauthier becomes a center I think. 

Yeah, if you evaluate Nazar as a better prospect than either Gauthier or Ohgren, full stop, then of course it makes sense to take him ahead of either of them.

I was just giving a major difference between Gauthier/Ohgren.  It doesn’t feel like everyone is blindly hoping that Gauthier “becomes” a center.  They have seen him play center and probably have well thought out reasons why they are confident that he can play the position moving forward.

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

More draft tea leaves.  Snuggerud, son of a former Sabres, interviewed with the Sabres and TP was there.  Jack Hughes is rooming with Levi this summer.  Bichsel is teammates and friends with Isak Rosen in Sweden.  All notes are from Sabres.com

Sabres didn’t talk with Hughes at the combine for whatever reason…

On 6/4/2022 at 9:16 AM, Curt said:

Okay, but this is why we’re having a discussion with him between picks 9 and 16, but not 2-4. Obviously Draisaital was still better than Geekie, but I’m saying if he fixes his skating, we could end up with a very good 2C out of him, with big size and skill. Not saying he’ll develop into a top 5 in the NHL player. Apologies if that’s what you got from my first post.

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Why haven't they? He's gonna be 24 so the restock the pool thing sounds like bs. If you're trading or considering trading 24yr olds you traded for 2 years ago to restock your pool, what's the problem with the 24yr old? 

Not opposed to the idea but I have questions since this is the 2nd team PLD seems to be forcing a trade from. 

Marek reported it on the 32 Thoughts intermission report. Spoke to Chevaldeoff. I don’t know if the the not starting negotiations with Dubois and restocking the prospect line were connected or separate points as he said them one after the other.

Dubois wanted out of Columbus because of Torts.

They traded him for Laine in a move of young guys needing a new start.

Most players aren’t fans of living in Winnipeg and the dressing room is a mess. It was reported the other day that Scheifele might be staying and he is thought of as the ringleader of that room.

I don’t know if Dubois told him he won’t sign there long term. There is a lot of turmoil there.

I just think he would fit here as a power centre who has great chemistry with Cozens and would like playing for Granato and the culture here. But who knows.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.