Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

1 minute ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I copy paste below the comments from that fella I was telling you about at hockeybuzz. He's very high on him. I have no idea what bone age means, btw.

He has potential to hit 1-2 more inches but that shouldn't stop teams he has pretty much destroyed every obstacle that has been tossed at him

If people are looking for the closest thing to Makar he's it ..

buffalo has the ability to slow cook him till he's ready so there's absolutely no rush to bring him into the NHL for 3 -4 years .

Mark my words he will be great

Just remember his bone age is delayed compared to his biological age once he hits his Growth spurt teams are definitely going to regret not taking him.

Was 2nd all time in points for a defenseman at the NTDP

Let's not forget he finished above players like Fox, Hughes, Hughes, Sanderson, and McAvoy.

This is definitely a player you take at 28 and hit the lottery

See,  great minds think alike😂 If this poster says to mark his words then the Sabres have to take him.😀

With Hutson I just found it interesting that Adams and crew mentioned about how they look at family members for growth patterns and then Hutson mentioned about his doctors saying he will grow a few more inches.

I know Craig Button loves the kid. He will be an interesting one to follow in a few years and see how he ends up.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I copy paste below the comments from that fella I was telling you about at hockeybuzz. He's very high on him. I have no idea what bone age means, btw.

He has potential to hit 1-2 more inches but that shouldn't stop teams he has pretty much destroyed every obstacle that has been tossed at him

If people are looking for the closest thing to Makar he's it ..

buffalo has the ability to slow cook him till he's ready so there's absolutely no rush to bring him into the NHL for 3 -4 years .

Mark my words he will be great

Just remember his bone age is delayed compared to his biological age once he hits his Growth spurt teams are definitely going to regret not taking him.

Was 2nd all time in points for a defenseman at the NTDP

Let's not forget he finished above players like Fox, Hughes, Hughes, Sanderson, and McAvoy.

This is definitely a player you take at 28 and hit the lottery

So hes delayed in growth? Damn @Flashsabre i might change my mind lol

@Dr. Who the Rankings you posted pretty intriguing your guy had Slafkovsky 1st overall.

Then 3 days later he was ranked 1 by tsn 🤨

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Kr632 said:

Athletic has a newer 7rd mock.

9. Jonathan Lekkerimaki

16. Danila Yurov

28. Filip Bystedt

Wright dropped, Jiricek went 2

https://theathletic.com/3391555/2022/06/30/nhl-mock-draft-seven-rounds?source=user-shared-article

Yeah, this was posted a couple days ago.  Bystedt seems like a reach at 28 and it’s kind of dumb to mock Wright dropping to 4.  Not gonna happen.

22 minutes ago, Curt said:

Yeah, this was posted a couple days ago.  Bystedt seems like a reach at 28 and it’s kind of dumb to mock Wright dropping to 4.  Not gonna happen.

Did a quick look and didn't see it posted. Got 3 notifications about a new 7 Rd mock today(love my phone, I'll get notifications weeks late). Now that I think about it I did see it a few days ago. 

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Am I the only one who would be meh about Lekkerimaki at 9? 

No, I’m also meh on Lekkerimaki and Kemell.  Hope they are off the board before #9.  I prefer forwards Gauthier, Nazar, Savoie, Kasper, Ohgren, Yurov.

15 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I wouldn’t go the last 2 at 9 but certainly to any of them at 16

Yeah, I probably wouldn’t take Ohgren or Yurov at 9, mostly because one of Gauthier, Nazar, Savoie, or Kasper will be available.  All those guys have a shot at being C’s.  I really really like Ohgren though.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I am very meh on Lekkerimaki. His game is based mainly on his shooting and his stickhandling which sounds great until you realize he likes the perimeter mostly and isn't exactly the guy maintaining possession or creating the opportunities on his line. He's like Olofsson in a lot of ways and that's worrisome for me at 9. His shot is excellent sure, but he won't just be shooting constantly and I doubt his ability to take the puck to the places he wants to shoot from, versus letting his linemates draw coverage and sitting in the soft spots waiting for passes. I have him in the teens currently and have LHD above him in my rankings, he's basically bigger Kemell and Kemell probably has a slightly better game with a slightly less elite shot.

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Probably my least favourite choice of any of the players being projected to us at 9.

Not even wArm to him at 16. Not my type of player, nor a good fit for team needs.

Many lists have Kemell and Lekkerimaki around the #9 spot. They sound like good prospects but the Sabres have Quinn, Peterka, Rosen, Kisakov and Poltapov as skilled wings. I really want the Sabres to take a C at that pick unless Nemec /Jiricek slide.

My order of preference, assuming Wright and Cooley are gone, are:

Savoie

Nazar

Kasper (would rather pick at 16 but I think he won’t be there)

Gauthier (may be better suited to W but will be a C in the NCAA)

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, steveoath said:

For the draft gurus on the board: What's the thoughts on Isaac Howard from USNTDP? Seems like a Quinn like winger. 2nd in ppg for the NTDP this year. Not heard much on the various scouting/draft podcasts though.

I liked his game at the U18s, he was a top scorer for the USA. He was paired with Nazar most of the year and produced at a good clip.

He is not viewed as a top guy from the US program by scouts. I have read some reports on him to try and understand why he is not ranked higher. The knock on him is his defensive game and that he goes through shifts without being engaged. One report said he was often cherry picking while the team was in the D zone. He is not overly small but plays like a small guy was another comment I read.

He and Nazar produced more points than any other pair at the program but do not get ranked as high as Cooley, Gauthier and even MCGroarty and Snuggerud on some lists.

BTW, I am not a draft guru, I just read a lot of information on these guys along with a bit of video.

• Thanks (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, steveoath said:

For the draft gurus on the board: What's the thoughts on Isaac Howard from USNTDP? Seems like a Quinn like winger. 2nd in ppg for the NTDP this year. Not heard much on the various scouting/draft podcasts though.

I don’t think I’m a guru, but I’ll answer.

My thoughts for the Sabres, he would be a decent upside swing at #28 if he is still there.  I think there will be better options at #16 and if we took him there I’m going to be a little bit bummed.

He is a smallish winger (5’10” 180).  Very good skater, good puck carrier in transition, very good shooter, only a decent passer, defensive play needs work.

He is kind of a sneaky scoring winger who is better finding open ice where he can receive a dangerous pass than he is at playmaking for others.

He is kind of a risky pick because if he can’t make it as a top-6 scoring winger, he probably won’t be an NHL player because of his lack of physicality and defensive play.

Comparing him to Quinn: Quinn is a couple inches taller/bigger, and was noted to have a much better 200 ft game and compete level.  Howard is a better skater though.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I don’t think I’m a guru, but I’ll answer.

My thoughts for the Sabres, he would be a decent upside swing at #28 if he is still there.  I think there will be better options at #16 and if we took him there I’m going to be a little bit bummed.

He is a smallish winger (5’10” 180).  Very good skater, good puck carrier in transition, very good shooter, only a decent passer, defensive play needs work.

He is kind of a sneaky scoring winger who is better finding open ice where he can receive a dangerous pass than he is at playmaking for others.

He is kind of a risky pick because if he can’t make it as a top-6 scoring winger, he probably won’t be an NHL player because of his lack of physicality and defensive play.

Comparing him to Quinn: Quinn is a couple inches taller/bigger, and was noted to have a much better 200 ft game and compete level.  Howard is a better skater though.

“He is a smallish winger (5’10” 180).  Very good skater, good puck carrier in transition, very good shooter, only a decent passer, defensive play needs work.”

So in the general  “neighborhood” of a Skinner type? 

11 hours ago, French Collection said:

Many lists have Kemell and Lekkerimaki around the #9 spot. They sound like good prospects but the Sabres have Quinn, Peterka, Rosen, Kisakov and Poltapov as skilled wings. I really want the Sabres to take a C at that pick unless Nemec /Jiricek slide.

My order of preference, assuming Wright and Cooley are gone, are:

Savoie

Nazar

Kasper (would rather pick at 16 but I think he won’t be there)

Gauthier (may be better suited to W but will be a C in the NCAA)

If Nemec and/or jiricek make it to 6 or 7, I’d do what it takes move up a couple of spots

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

“He is a smallish winger (5’10” 180).  Very good skater, good puck carrier in transition, very good shooter, only a decent passer, defensive play needs work.”

So in the general  “neighborhood” of a Skinner type? 

Hard to say how everything will translate to the NHL, but yeah, definitely some similarities to a Skinner type.

Am I reading too much into Jerry Forton saying “We are going to get a real good player at 9, if we end up picking at 9” and separately “we’ve got a lot of draft capital” in the context of having to be ready to move?

I feel quite strongly that the all-over-the-place nature of this draft, coupled with the return of the in-person setting, the flat cap, and the number of teams with multiple high picks (or none) is highly conducive to movement.

I will be surprised if the Sabres make all 11 picks. It might be as simple as flipping a 6 to jump up for someone in the 3rd, but it also might be something substantial.

I would not be at all surprised to see them jump up from 28 or 41 if someone they like is slipping. I’m kind of expecting it to happen.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.