Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

23 minutes ago, Weave said:

Assuming normal odds hold, its more like 4 players and a handfull of tweeners.

Maybe that’s what you’ll end up with, but you still get 12 chances in the range that matters. Over the next 3 years, Florida gets 1.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Fella I am talking about doesn't usually signal signings or trades that I can recollect. He usually talks about future plans and what the front office thinks about individual players. I think his draft evaluations have been reasonably accurate, though he misses like everyone else. It's possible he's blowing smoke about the connection the the Sabres. He comes across as plausible to me and he seems to have pretty good credibility over on that forum. I just lurk there, because some of the regulars tend to devolve into competitive recrimination and sophomoric nastiness about politics and the like.

I apologize if I was coming off rude btw.

Thank you

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Unless Adams defined what BPA means, hard for me to learn much other than LHD might be on the table.

I agree.  Depending on how he and the staff have created their draft board, I think a LHD is very much on the table if one of the big 3 is still available at 16.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

15 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I apologize if I was coming off rude btw.

Thank you

No, you're fine. Handle the young fella uses is gerbe75pts. Annoying juvenile avatar, but he's had it for years. Predicts Sabres are interested in/ or maybe just he thinks they should be interested in Elias Salomonsson at pick #41, btw.

47 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Maybe that’s what you’ll end up with, but you still get 12 chances in the range that matters. Over the next 3 years, Florida gets 1.

Agreed.  Just pointing out the odds.  2/3 of those picks are in the 50/50 odds and later range.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, but my point was that BPA is such a flexible phrase and does not in itself so much to describe a draft strategy.  It could mean any number of things.  It’s a non answer answer that a GM can throw out there when asked about his draft strategy.

They also mentioned that Adams only has two drafts so it’s hard to pin down The Sabres Draft Strategy,  but that they seem to gravitate to players with high skill sets so far. 

Adams is holding a pre draft press conference on Thursday, so it will be interesting to see what comes or more likely does not come from it 

3 hours ago, Curt said:

Yeah, but my point was that BPA is such a flexible phrase and does not in itself so much to describe a draft strategy.  It could mean any number of things.  It’s a non answer answer that a GM can throw out there when asked about his draft strategy.

Selecting the BPA means nothing more than taking a higher ranked player at a lesser position of need and it can be a way to describe a draft strategy because it’s an admission that you won’t reach for a need when there are higher ranked players available at other positions. And it’s a good strategy because reaching for need results in poor outcomes far more often than taking the better player. 

• Like (+1) 2

I would say the only time a team doesn’t take “best player available” by its own criteria high in the draft is because of market or ownership pressure.

Louis Leblanc may have been picked because the Habs were under pressure to add French kids, or Zach Kassian because the Sabres were under pressure to add toughness or Alex Nylander because “Terry hates Russians.”

Right now, the centre-poor Habs are probably under immense market pressure to take Shayne WRIGHT.

I can’t see a GM ever picking a clearly inferior player in his own mind for any other reason. It’s not like that 14th overall 17-year-old defenceman is going to make or break your roster this year.

Later on, sure. GMs will look for things like size, or speed or positions deeper in the draft when the odds are slim and the choices many.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Selecting the BPA means nothing more than taking a higher ranked player at a lesser position of need and it can be a way to describe a draft strategy because it’s an admission that you won’t reach for a need when there are higher ranked players available at other positions. And it’s a good strategy because reaching for need results in poor outcomes far more often than taking the better player. 

That’s what it means to you, but that might not be universal.

I’m just saying that a team’s draft list could take into account team need in how the players are ranked.  Then by following that list a team could say that the were drafting BPA.

Edited by Curt

19 minutes ago, Curt said:

That’s what it means to you, but that might not be universal.

I’m just saying that a team’s draft list could take into account team need in how the players are ranked.  Then by following that list a team could say that the were drafting BPA.

That’s what it means to me and several NFL GMs, scouts, and personnel directors I’ve known personally over the years. Granted, I don’t know any NHL talent evaluators personally, but I can’t imagine the concept is too much different. 

You’re correct in that team needs are always part of the equation and I certainly don’t mean to imply otherwise. It’s a balance and chances are good that a highly ranked player on your board play will match a need at times. But if a team drafts strictly on a need basis, then they will invariably reach for a player when there are better players available. Good players are always a “need” regardless of position. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I would say the only time a team doesn’t take “best player available” by its own criteria high in the draft is because of market or ownership pressure.

Louis Leblanc may have been picked because the Habs were under pressure to add French kids, or Zach Kassian because the Sabres were under pressure to add toughness or Alex Nylander because “Terry hates Russians.”

Right now, the centre-poor Habs are probably under immense market pressure to take Shayne WRIGHT.

I can’t see a GM ever picking a clearly inferior player in his own mind for any other reason. It’s not like that 14th overall 17-year-old defenceman is going to make or break your roster this year.

Later on, sure. GMs will look for things like size, or speed or positions deeper in the draft when the odds are slim and the choices many.

I went back and looked at my consensus board for 2016 and Nylander was 6th, Sergachev 10th, Keller 9 and Chychrun 8th. The bust Joulevi was 7th.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I went back and looked at my consensus board for 2016 and Nylander was 6th, Sergachev 10th, Keller 9 and Chychrun 8th. The bust Joulevi was 7th.

I was looking for potential illustrations. Don’t know if any of them were real scenarios.

3 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

No, you're fine. Handle the young fella uses is gerbe75pts. Annoying juvenile avatar, but he's had it for years. Predicts Sabres are interested in/ or maybe just he thinks they should be interested in Elias Salomonsson at pick #41, btw.

Someone should recruit that kid over on this board but ban that avatar ha.

18 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

If that were the Sabres draft board I would be highly concerned about their inclusion of analytics in their drafting process. That looks like a team that just goes to the U18s and anyone who looks good goes to the top of the board,  a very bad and dangerous approach to drafting. Kulich, Snuggerud, Trikozov in those slots is borderline Boucher at 10 level insanity IMO. Guess we will find out soon.

Definitely agree on Kulich and Snuggerud, but all the advanced stats I’ve seen on Trikozov are top of class, especially in transition and offensive data (albeit in a weak league). Not to mention the fact he’s one of the youngest players in the draft with an August birthday. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Someone should recruit that kid over on this board but ban that avatar ha.

I think I sent him a pm a couple years ago advising him that this was a better venue. My memory is fuzzy, so maybe I only thought about doing so, but now I don't want to try again and come across as a fella with Alzheimer's . . . 

8 hours ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

Definitely agree on Kulich and Snuggerud, but all the advanced stats I’ve seen on Trikozov are top of class, especially in transition and offensive data (albeit in a weak league). Not to mention the fact he’s one of the youngest players in the draft with an August birthday. 

I love Trikozov, he may end up better than Yurov. When motivated his deception and passing are otherworldly. Yurov is more of a sure thing and I do hope he is around at 16 to make the Sabres think long and hard about who to draft.

26 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Speaking of Yurov.

10 hours ago, GrassValleyGreg said:

I did not recognise you immediately, so welcome back to the board!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.