Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can see the Sabres taking Korchinski.

Go back to Adams marching orders to the scouting staff:

• don’t look for where a player has come from, look to where he is going
  • look for self-motivated guys wired for self-improvement
  • We want fearless players who play fast

Read Wheeler’s fresh profile in the Athletic: Korchinski really ticks all those boxes, and possibly better than anyone in the draft who reasonably projects to 9 or 16. He’s had a very Jack Quinn-like trajectory and draft year.

If they really don’t care about position, this pick wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I would disagree. Mintyukov outproduced (primary points a game) Korchinski on a worse team all while missing the previous year because the OHL was shutdown. His trajectory is IMO, higher even though Korchinski is younger. I will confess that I love Mintyukov, his offensive vision and aggression is amazing to watch. Korchinski does a lot of cut backs which I wonder if they transfer to the NHL as well. Mintyukov has a different arsenal at his disposal with multiple layers of deception to call upon. I think his defensive game will rapidly improve on a team that isn't the dumpster fire he was on and with more time on NA ice.

Korchinski: 0.269 EV/P1, 0.463 P1/GP

MIntyukov: 0.373 EV/P1, 0.597 P1/GP

• Like (+1) 2

On 6/25/2022 at 6:05 PM, Dr. Who said:

There's a young fella that posts over at the hockeybuzz site. I don't much care for the tone of conversation over there, but occasionally you hear something interesting. In any event, this fella claims to be close to the Pegulas and some have speculated in the past that he is Kevyn Adams' son. I don't know, but his hockey acument is pretty good from my purely amateur perspective.  In any event, he posted I surmise his top ten at the moment which I thought interesting enough to share.

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Shane Wright
3.Matthew Savoie
4.simon nemec
5 .Logan Cooley
6.Jiri Kulich
7.Danila Yurov
8.Jimmy Snuggerud
9.Frank Nazar
10. Gleb Trikozov

Savoie at three, Yurov at seven, and Snuggerud at eight surprise me. I don't know again, if this reflects in any way where the Sabres value on them is, but I like those three. Ohgren is another fella I'm personally getting more interested in at 16 . . . 

If that were the Sabres draft board I would be highly concerned about their inclusion of analytics in their drafting process. That looks like a team that just goes to the U18s and anyone who looks good goes to the top of the board,  a very bad and dangerous approach to drafting. Kulich, Snuggerud, Trikozov in those slots is borderline Boucher at 10 level insanity IMO. Guess we will find out soon.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

If that were the Sabres draft board I would be highly concerned about their inclusion of analytics in their drafting process. That looks like a team that just goes to the U18s and anyone who looks good goes to the top of the board,  a very bad and dangerous approach to drafting. Kulich, Snuggerud, Trikozov in those slots is borderline Boucher at 10 level insanity IMO. Guess we will find out soon.

Again this is not the Sabres draft board. It is a guy who posts at hockeybuzz who some think has a relative who works for the Sabres  but no one knows.

Even if he had access to the Sabres he is not going to be stupid enough to post their draft list in a chat forum.

And remember with Mintyukov that he played with Bloom at Saginaw so Buffalo scouts probably had more eyes on him this season then a lot of the other draft eligible players. That is usually a big determining factor when choosing between potential picks. Won’t mean he will be the pick at 16 if available but they will  be very well versed in his abilities.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Again this is not the Sabres draft board. It is a guy who posts at hockeybuzz who some think has a relative who works for the Sabres  but no one knows.

Even if he had access to the Sabres he is not going to be stupid enough to post their draft list in a chat forum.

And remember with Mintyukov that he played with Bloom at Saginaw so Buffalo scouts probably had more eyes on him this season then a lot of the other draft eligible players. That is usually a big determining factor when choosing between potential picks. Won’t mean he will be the pick at 16 if available but they will  be very well versed in his abilities.

Nobody said it was or thinks it is the Sabres’ draft board. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

As it stands today, 21, 22 & 23 drafts…

6 1st round picks

and 

6 2nd round picks

It really has the power to set us up for a 10-year run if properly used.

It's an injection of 12 players with a good chance of contributing, during a period when most will be adding half that, or less.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

He's a young fella who has disappeared for a span on that forum before because he "let the cat out of the bag" apparently, but I am supposing this is his personal list, not any kind of official Sabres' draft board.

Only thing I see is he got lucky with the devon Levi trade.

Did he get anything else ? 

20 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Yakupov, hall,  Wouldn't have saved the franchise

Yakupov would've been a year too late. The Sabres would have received Edmonton's 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2011 firsts. The teams would both have finished in different spots in the standings, the Sabres arguably a bit worse without a 30-goal scorer in Vanek and the Oilers arguably a bit better with him.

In altered reality, the Sabres/Kings/Oilers were all involved in 2008 trades that allowed the Sabres to draft Tyler Myers, so that would have been modified by the Sabres already owning Edmonton's 1st in the Vanek offer sheet. DR loved Myers, so the new reality isn't much different -- just add another top 15 pick (Erik Karlsson went 15th) and then Tyler Ennis for the pick from San Jose.

2008, Another 10-15ish pick, plus the two Tylers.  (In reality: 22nd EDM - Eberle, but their original pick was ... 12th BUF Myers; 26th Ennis)

2009, two top-15 picks -- both maybe somewhere 8-15. (reality: 10th EDM - Paajarvi; 13th BUF - Kassian)

2010, definitely a top-4 pick for EDM and if slightly worse, somewhere in the 16-23 range for Buffalo (reality: 1st - Hall; 23rd - Pysyk)

2011, definitely a top-4 pick for EDM and if worse, somewhere 10-16 for Buffalo (reality: 1st - Nugent-Hopkins; 16th - Joel Armia)

How would this have impacted the team's sale, sale price, the drafts of GM DR or the play of the team is all TBD. Would the have made the playoffs or (more likely) missed the playoffs a couple seasons sooner, meaning no Ehrhoff/Leino signings to make an immediate push because the team was not a playoff contender. Too much altered reality to know.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Lance Lysowski on the Maintenance Day Podcast this AM said that He spoke to Kevyn Adams and He mentioned they will be drafting BPA. 

Unless Adams defined what BPA means, hard for me to learn much other than LHD might be on the table.

Speaking of which...

Korchinski:

Korchinski.png.e8759778e5a971618ba65c2c024a66f7.png

Mateychuk:

Mateychuk.png.f0f142b5fe01fc1aab4a90d109bf97db.png

Mintyukov:

Mintyukov.png.afe7ec0222016fa34ef9cfabd1ee3da7.png

Again, once I consider Mintyukov didn't play last year, 1st year in the OHL, and that he played on a bad team (he was their points leader), I really have to favor him and think as a Russian, he might fall a little in this draft. Mateychuk is interesting because he is only 5'10.5" but he has a mid july bday so will he grow a little? Korchinski concerns me the most of the 3 because I think he has the most questionable skills but I could be wrong, just wanted to explain my thoughts.

• Like (+1) 3

Lance Lysowski on the Maintenance Day Podcast this AM said that He spoke to Kevyn Adams and He mentioned they will be drafting BPA. 

BPA off their personal draft rankings?  Does their ranking have team positional needs baked in?  Isn’t any player drafted because the team determined them to be the best available?

I know you don’t know, I just find these statements kind of funny.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard a GM say that they were not going to draft the best player available.

• Like (+1) 2

Within this WGR link there is a 19 min Paul Hamilton segment talking about the takeaway from the Colorado Cup win and how it translate to the Sabres. Paul Hamilton believes that from how Kevin Adams works he believes that the GM will continue on with his patient draft strategy. And it's his opinion that he doesn't believe that he will engage in the FA or trade market to get a marquee player. P. Ham also noted that Colorado won the cup without a top tier goalie. 

https://www.audacy.com/wgr550/authors/howard-and-jeremy-show

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Curt said:

BPA off their personal draft rankings?  Does their ranking have team positional needs baked in?  Isn’t any player drafted because the team determined them to be the best available?

I know you don’t know, I just find these statements kind of funny.  I don’t think I’ve ever heard a GM say that they were not going to draft the best player available.

Don't know for sure, but would take 2 things from the "BPA" bit.  1.  Don't expect them to try to trade up should Nemec or Jiricec slide to 6 or 7.  And 2. don't be shocked if a "non-need" LHD goes at 16.

• Like (+1) 4

22 minutes ago, Curt said:

It will be from the Draft Board that the Front Office puts together, Lysowski made it sound like positions wouldn’t matter

It will be from the Draft Board that the Front Office puts together, Lysowski made it sound like positions wouldn’t matter

Yeah, but my point was that BPA is such a flexible phrase and does not in itself so much to describe a draft strategy.  It could mean any number of things.  It’s a non answer answer that a GM can throw out there when asked about his draft strategy.

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

It really has the power to set us up for a 10-year run if properly used.

It's an injection of 12 players with a good chance of contributing, during a period when most will be adding half that, or less.

Assuming normal odds hold, its more like 4 players and a handfull of tweeners.

16 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don’t know man.  In a three year period, if they keep them, they will have picked:

2022: 1st, 13th, 33rd, 53rd

2023: 9th, 16th, 28th, 41st

2024:  a 1st, three 2nds

Those are a lot of high picks.  I would expect that to result in at least 3 top 6/top 4 players and 3 lower quality but solid NHL players.

Then there are a bunch of 3rd round and lower picks too.  You would expect to get 2-3 good NHL contributors from that group too, although probably taking longer to develop.

Just go look at Sabres’ top 40 draft picks from the recent past.  Quinn, Peterka, Cozens, Johnson, Dahlin, Samuelsson.

Edited by Curt
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

Probably semantics, but if in general teams get 2 players on average every draft and a bit less than 1 "good" one each draft, having 6 drafts worth of the top 1/2 of a draft would guess they SHOULD get 4 top 6 / top pairing guys (or at least guys that are comfortably middle 6/ 4/5's that aren't too out of place bumping up in a pinch) with 4-6 more bottom 6/3rd pairing guys and then 2-4 guys that are essentially washouts but who will get their cup of coffee.

Expect there'll only be 2-4 of those tweeners.  Which IMHO are guys that are top line guys in the A & have to claw &/or get lucky to be in the show.

Edited by Taro T

4 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Only thing I see is he got lucky with the devon Levi trade.

Did he get anything else ? 

Fella I am talking about doesn't usually signal signings or trades that I can recollect. He usually talks about future plans and what the front office thinks about individual players. I think his draft evaluations have been reasonably accurate, though he misses like everyone else. It's possible he's blowing smoke about the connection the the Sabres. He comes across as plausible to me and he seems to have pretty good credibility over on that forum. I just lurk there, because some of the regulars tend to devolve into competitive recrimination and sophomoric nastiness about politics and the like.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.