Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Scott Wheeler's new mock, based on what his hearing in the scouting community and what he knows about team tendencies.

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgårdens IF
My rank: No. 9

Of the trio of 5-foot-9/10 forwards projected to go in the No. 5-10 range, Lekkerimaki feels like the most likely to be selected third even after his star grew following his brilliant U18 worlds performance. The Sabres should take whichever remains at No. 9 and while I suspect they’re more likely to take the potential centre in Savoie* if he’s here (they’ve got plenty of talented wingers in their pool), I think they’re more likely to pounce on Lekkerimaki as the best player available (BPA) play, hoping that they can get one of the next-best centres (like a Frank Nazar or a Conor Geekie) with their next selection at No. 16.  (*He had Savoie going a pick earlier to Detroit)

16. Buffalo Sabres (from Vegas): Frank Nazar, C, U.S. NTDP
My rank: No. 11

If the Sabres take a winger at No. 9, look to them to take a centre here. I’ve gone with Nazar, who is not as beloved in the private sphere as he is publicly, but offers speed and playmaking that the Sabres can afford to wait for if he takes two or three years in college. This is also the range where centres Jiri Kulich and Noah Ostlund will start to creep toward the top of boards so they’d make sense here. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabres, with their strong pool and multiple high picks, took a swing on Lambert or Yurov here either (though Yurov is strictly a winger so the likelihood that they take him drops if they take a winger with the first pick).

28. Buffalo Sabres (from Florida): Jagger Firkus, RW, Moose Jaw Warriors
My rank: No. 34

I didn’t think when I began this exercise, that I’d have the Sabres taking three forwards. I think it’s more likely they take two forwards and one defenceman. But with the way things played out here and the number of teams that I suspect will be eager to take defencemen, I actually really like the way things broke for the Sabres in this exercise. Lekkerimaki, Nazar and Firkus would be a substantial injection of skill into the organization; drafting all three would make for a potentially huge day for the organization’s future. Teams will tell you they try not to be influenced in their decision-making by the number of picks that they have, but the truth is that the first two do allow the Sabres to really go after a high-upside kid here and there may not be a bigger one left than the diminutive but uber-talented Firkus.

If the Board doesn’t like Rosen’s Size, Firkus is going to cause an uproar. 

Dude has some small shoulders

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

If the Board doesn’t like Rosen’s Size, Firkus is going to cause an uproar. 

Dude has some small shoulders

I don’t want to give off a vibe that I know a ton about these guys, but from my superficial knowledge, I’m not a huge fan of Wheeler’s mock.

Lekkerimaki seems like legit value at 9, but this team has invested high picks in Rosen, Poltapov, Kisakov, Quinn and Peterka in the past two years, and Skinner is going to be around for a while. There are going to be other players on the same tier who better fit.

Nazar at 16 I like. good fit and value. He’s another mid-size forward with offence, but he can play centre. He seems to be more versatile than Lekkerimaki and can develop in multiple roles. He also seems a good match to the Sabres type.

I have serious reservations about Firkus’ size and he seems like terrible fit given other players likely to be there, and especially with the other guys he projects us to take.

Edited by dudacek

image.thumb.png.e1539b9a7dec806ad985eeee616a111c.png

Here are the projections from 5 recent mock drafts.

Some quick thoughts.  No to Nazar or Geekie at 9.  Lekkerimaki at 9 would be fine. I like Ohgren or Nazar at 16.  16 is much to early on Bichsel, or Pickering.  I like Luneau, a RHD, at 28.  I love Kulich there even more. 

Someone will fall to us at 41 that we didn't expect to be there like Seamus Casey, or even Bichsel.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, French Collection said:

Isaac Howard is a guy I was impressed by at the U18s, he also led the USNDTP in scoring. 
He doesn’t seem to be generating much attention on draft boards.

i have Howard at 20th on my current draft board with a recent ranking by Wheeler at the Athletic at 10.  I would not be a stretch to see him taken at around 16.  The biggest issue for me is our depth in the system Buffalo, Rochester and the draft picks at LW.  Despite the groaning of people on this board, don't rule out KA taking a LHD at 16 like Korchinski, Mintyukov or Mateychuk.  Kasper would be my personal selection at 16.  Geekie will also get play at 16 is not taken earlier, but 9 is to early for him IMHO.

48 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

i have Howard at 20th on my current draft board with a recent ranking by Wheeler at the Athletic at 10.  I would not be a stretch to see him taken at around 16.  The biggest issue for me is our depth in the system Buffalo, Rochester and the draft picks at LW.  Despite the groaning of people on this board, don't rule out KA taking a LHD at 16 like Korchinski, Mintyukov or Mateychuk.  Kasper would be my personal selection at 16.  Geekie will also get play at 16 is not taken earlier, but 9 is to early for him IMHO.

I like Kasper at 16. He doesn’t sound like a high ceiling C but is defensively solid and works hard. Sounds like Lundell from a few years ago. I think they need to take a C at 9 or 16, the Sabres have plenty of W in the system.

I am watching Korchinski play in the WHL finals right now. He can certainly skate and handle the puck. It seems like he never leaves the ice.

32 minutes ago, French Collection said:

I like Kasper at 16. He doesn’t sound like a high ceiling C but is defensively solid and works hard. Sounds like Lundell from a few years ago. I think they need to take a C at 9 or 16, the Sabres have plenty of W in the system.

I am watching Korchinski play in the WHL finals right now. He can certainly skate and handle the puck. It seems like he never leaves the ice.

Yep.  It's why so many people really like his game.  I have him 13th on my board and I'd grab him at 16 if he is still available.  

Should the Sabres trade up from 9 to 5 to get one of the top 2 rhd Nemac or Jiricek? I see them possibly have to give up pick #9, their 2nd rounder, a 3rd, and maybe a young player as Bryson? What do you think they may have to give up to get to 5? Is it worth it? 

Edited by Happy Days

4 hours ago, Happy Days said:

Should the Sabres trade up from 9 to 5 to get one of the top 2 rhd Nemac or Jiricek? I see them possibly have to give up pick #9, their 2nd rounder, a 3rd, and maybe a young player as Bryson? What do you think they may have to give up to get to 5? Is it worth it? 

NHL doesn't usually see teams trading out of the top of the draft, so it's probably an academic exercise.

• Like (+1) 1

Three somewhat realistic dream draft scenarios for me (at least for today!):

#9 Savoie, #16 Nazar, #28 Chesley

#9 Lekkermaki, #16 Korchinski, #28 Miroschnichenko

#9 Kemmel, #16 Yurov, #28  Snuggerud

Which of these three specific packages would you be happiest with, and why? Realistically, what three picks would you like to see?

Edited by SDBillsfan

31 minutes ago, SDBillsfan said:

Which of these three specific packages would you be happiest with, and why? Realistically, what three picks would you like to see?

First one for sure even though Savoie and Nazar might be redundant. 

Second one is more a boom/bust but the boom could turn out great.

10 hours ago, Happy Days said:

What was that you said?  I was distracted by your avatar ... something something trades something picks something ...

1 hour ago, SDBillsfan said:

I like #1 the best because I think Savoie and Nazar have the highest ceilings and play C. Chesley is a RHD, which is a need.

Lekkeremaki is like Quinn, Korchinski is a LHD but Miro could be a steal. No Cs in that group or the 3rd one.

https://draftprospectshockey.com/draftpro-2022-nhl-draft-final-rankings/

Another day, another online draft ranking.

I really think Gauthier is the McTavish of this draft and will go a lot higher then most of these sites rate him.

I have a feeling that Savoie might be the guy who drops to #9. Whether the Sabres pick him will be another story.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, SDBillsfan said:

#1 for me but the other two would be fine.

Dont love Korchinski as a Sabre, only because I think we have plenty of what he brings....sub in Bicshel or Chesley and i would love it.

7 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't know anything about any of these guys, but Jagger Firkus from Moose Jaw would be an all-time top-10 Sabres cool hockey name.

Eh, pretty sure the Sabres have already had way too many JAGs just through poor luck &/or scouting.  No need to waste a draft pick grabbing one intentionally.  😉

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I don't know anything about any of these guys, but Jagger Firkus from Moose Jaw would be an all-time top-10 Sabres cool hockey name.

That is why I am hoping that Baron Von Barnekow develops, is signed, and becomes a Sabre! 😂

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, nfreeman said:

- Does Jagger have moves like Jagger?

- For a minute, I was wondering if he was related to Scut Farkus, but I see the name is spelled different.

a christmas story GIF

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Eh, pretty sure the Sabres have already had way too many JAGs just through poor luck &/or scouting.  No need to waste a draft pick grabbing one intentionally.  😉

Someday, someone will name their kid Jaggerest and we'll have to take them.

55 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

That is why I am hoping that Baron Von Barnekow develops, is signed, and becomes a Sabre! 😂

Baron William von Barnekow-Løfberg

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.