Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

This. So much this.

You’ve got a physically gifted kid who may have peaked relative to his peers at 16 and has never learned how to properly play hockey with his brain and his teammates.

He screams Benoit Pouliot.

He screams the antithesis of the Adams guy.

He won't slide to 41, but that's the 1st spot the Sabres might consider him IMHO.

Cutter Gauthier is growing on me for pick 9. 

Liam Ohgren is still top of the list for what I think makes it to 16. 

Owen Beck is prob my favorite hopeful here but Danny Zhilikin or if someone slides are also options at 28. Someone is almost guaranteed to slide.

Mattias Havelid at 41 would a steal. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

The more I read, the more all over the map this draft might be after the top 5 picks (Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, Nemec, and Jiricek), and even the the 2 D could slip in the right circumstances, although I doubt it.  

In this draft, I can see guys who go at 9 also fall to 16.  This is one time you just have to go with your gut and trust the scouts.

• Like (+1) 1

I am starting think there’s are only 8 legitimate top 10 picks in this draft (Wright, Slav, Cooley, Nemec, Gauthier, Jiricek, Kemmel, Savoie, roughly in that order.)

If none of them fall, I think the player next most likely to become a core piece might be Miroshnichenko.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I am starting think there’s are only 8 legitimate top 10 picks in this draft (Wright, Slav, Cooley, Nemec, Gauthier, Jiricek, Kemmel, Savoie, roughly in that order.)

If none of them fall, I think the player next most likely to become a core piece might be Miroshnichenko.

Ray is gonna love sayin' that dude's name.

• Haha (+1) 1

Looking at the group of good LHD that may still be available around 16, I’d consider dangling that pick to a team wanting a D, and moving down a few slots.

If the defencemen aren’t picked, the level of forward available at 16 and say 21 won’t be much different, and I wouldn’t mind an extra 2nd to take a shot at one of the many projects that might be available there.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, dudacek said:

I'm going to slightly disagree.  I think there are 6 top players and then after that, I think it's anyone's guess.  They top 6 are Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, the 2 D Nemec and Jiricek and then Kemell.  Most rankings have Savoie in the top 10, but the range is 4 to 17.  The gap after the top 6 is why I hope could package the 9 and move up if some one of the top 6 fall to 7 or 8.

I don't mind the idea of taking a chance on Miro @16, but not at 9.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I'm going to slightly disagree.  I think there are 6 top players and then after that, I think it's anyone's guess.  They top 6 are Wright, Cooley, Slafkovsky, the 2 D Nemec and Jiricek and then Kemell.  Most rankings have Savoie in the top 10, but the range is 4 to 17.  The gap after the top 6 is why I hope could package the 9 and move up if some one of the top 6 fall to 7 or 8.

I don't mind the idea of taking a chance on Miro @16, but not at 9.

But what do think of the guys after your 6?

I’m seeing lots of interesting players, just not seeing guys (other than my eight) that strike me as likely core top 6ers like Quinn, Cozens and even Mitts. I’m sure there must be some, but they aren’t jumping out to me. Lots of Victor Olofssons and Henri Jokiharjus.

It feels like 2017 when the guys around 9/10 probably get passed by a handful of guys available 10 picks later.

44 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’m seeing lots of interesting players, just not seeing guys (other than my eight) that strike me as likely core top 6ers like Quinn, Cozens and even Mitts. I’m sure there must be some, but they aren’t jumping out to me. Lots of Victor Olofssons and Henri Jokiharjus.

It feels like 2017 when the guys around 9/10 probably get passed by a handful of guys available 10 picks later.

For me, I think Nazar, Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, and Miroshnichenko are the next forwards with the highest offensive upsides.

10 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Cutter Gauthier is growing on me for pick 9. 

Liam Ohgren is still top of the list for what I think makes it to 16. 

Owen Beck is prob my favorite hopeful here but Danny Zhilikin or if someone slides are also options at 28. Someone is almost guaranteed to slide.

Mattias Havelid at 41 would a steal. 

You’ll be happy with some of their interviews then 

• Thanks (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The next tier after the top 6 are Savoie, Lekkermaki, Gauthier, Yurov, Nazar, and Lambert.  

After them are Korchinski, Mintyukov, Mateychuk, Geekie and Kasper, all of which have some ratings in the top 10.  

For me at 9, Savoie is the most talented I think, but I think he'll end up on the wing in the NHL instead of center.  For me 9 comes down to Gauthier or Lekkerimaki.  

At 16 if Kasper is still there, I grab him.  I don't mind any of the 3 LHDs.  I'm even tempted to take Kasper at 9.  I also like McGroarty's leadership.  

I'm very interested in Kulich at 28 if he slides there, but he could easily be a player someone loves and takes him at high as 16.  His rankings continue to go up with each new addition.  The last 4 rankings I added to my spreadsheet ranked him 14, 17, 15 and 22.

RHD Seamus Casey is 36th on my current board, but his latest rankings are 23,25,28 and 27.   

27 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The next tier after the top 6 are Savoie, Lekkermaki, Gauthier, Yurov, Nazar, and Lambert.  

After them are Korchinski, Mintyukov, Mateychuk, Geekie and Kasper, all of which have some ratings in the top 10.  

For me at 9, Savoie is the most talented I think, but I think he'll end up on the wing in the NHL instead of center.  For me 9 comes down to Gauthier or Lekkerimaki.  

At 16 if Kasper is still there, I grab him.  I don't mind any of the 3 LHDs.  I'm even tempted to take Kasper at 9.  I also like McGroarty's leadership.  

I'm very interested in Kulich at 28 if he slides there, but he could easily be a player someone loves and takes him at high as 16.  His rankings continue to go up with each new addition.  The last 4 rankings I added to my spreadsheet ranked him 14, 17, 15 and 22.

RHD Seamus Casey is 36th on my current board, but his latest rankings are 23,25,28 and 27.   

Savoie, Gauthier, Lekkerimaki, all 3 probably end up on the wing.  Savoie is the only one who plays C full time so far.  Gauthier has played both this season.  Lekkerimaki is a W.

Im on board with the Kasper love.  McGroarty too, at 16.

I think Kulich almost surely goes before 28.

9 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I am no draftnik.  But reading some of the comments here, and then researching the names makes me think we can land a few good players in this draft. 

I like you am not a draft afficionado. I appreciate the commentary from those here who are knowledgeable about the prospect pool. From an overview standpoint, although there are specific disagreements about some of the decisions the GM has made, in general, there is a coherency and rationality to how the franchise is being run that hasn't existed for a long time. There is a rebuild plan that emphasizes a draft and development approach that is being implemented. It is a pleasant surprise that it is moving along at a faster pace than I thought possible after KA took over as a GM. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

I like you am not a draft afficionado. I appreciate the commentary from those here who are knowledgeable about the prospect pool. From an overview standpoint, although there are specific disagreements about some of the decisions the GM has made, in general, there is a coherency and rationality to how the franchise is being run that hasn't existed for a long time. There is a rebuild plan that emphasizes a draft and development approach that is being implemented. It is a pleasant surprise that it is moving along at a faster pace than I thought possible after KA took over as a GM. 

Yes, KA as a plan and he probably has Pegula's on board for his approach.  I would not tout a faster pace just because they didn't suck as bad last year as most people expected.  Lets see how next season goes.  He has cap room, draft picks, and a stronger analytics department - but he does not have a proven NHL goalie on his roster yet.  

Murray had a plan  - it was a total tear down to build-up assets and then rapidly use the assets to accelerate the re-build.  Unfortunately, it was a colossal failure in execution, and it gutted Rochester and left an NHL roster filled with bad chemistry.   

JBOT might have had a plan too - it was rebuild to Rochester and then flail around I guess.  Trading ROR, the Skinner Contract, Housley and Ralph - Ugh!

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

I mean we are almost 2 years to the day into KA regime now.  This is a hard salary cap league where nearing half of the teams make the playoffs and we still missed by 25 points last season.  I’m not saying KA hasn’t done a good job so far; he has.  I just think the past few GMs have really set our bars low.  Look at the Rags, I feel like they’re turning things around very nicely and it didn’t really take that long.  Let’s hope we see a nice big step forward this year.  If KA can do something he has yet to do, find us a legitimate starting nhl quality goalie, then I think we will. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I mean we are almost 2 years to the day into KA regime now.  This is a hard salary cap league where nearing half of the teams make the playoffs and we still missed by 25 points last season.  I’m not saying KA hasn’t done a good job so far; he has.  I just think the past few GMs have really set our bars low.  Look at the Rags, I feel like they’re turning things around very nicely and it didn’t really take that long.  Let’s hope we see a nice big step forward this year.  If KA can do something he has yet to do, find us a legitimate starting nhl quality goalie, then I think we will. 

I really hate to sound like I’m letting Sabres off the hook, but the NYR really are not comparable because it’s NYC.

The Rangers’ rebuild included another team’s prospect stiffing his team by refusing to play anywhere but the garden then turning into a Norris level player, another top pair defenseman forcing a trade to NY, and one of the elite offensive wingers in the league choosing to sign there.  That’s 3 of their top 6 players who they got for little to no cost because the player chose them.

Not to mention that a 4th round pick from 2014 just emerged as a Vezina goalie for them.  That had nothing to do with steps they took over the past 3-4 years to rebuild the team.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

I really hate to sound like I’m letting Sabres off the hook, but the NYR really are not comparable because it’s NYC.

The Rangers’ rebuild included another team’s prospect stiffing his team by refusing to play anywhere but the garden then turning into a Norris level player, another top pair defenseman forcing a trade to NY, and one of the elite offensive wingers in the league choosing to sign there.  That’s 3 of their top 6 players who they got for little to no cost because the player chose them.

Not to mention that a 4th round pick from 2014 just emerged as a Vezina goalie for them.  That had nothing to do with steps they took over the past 3-4 years to rebuild the team.

Let's not also forget moving from 6th to the 2nd pick in the draft in 2019 and moving from 16th to winning the lottery and getting the #1 pick in the 2020 draft. They've been very fortunate in many ways to get their rebuild going. And as you said they went from Lundqvist to Shesterkin in net. 

• Like (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, jsb said:

Let's not also forget moving from 6th to the 2nd pick in the draft in 2019 and moving from 16th to winning the lottery and getting the #1 pick in the 2020 draft. They've been very fortunate in many ways to get their rebuild going. And as you said they went from Lundqvist to Shesterkin in net. 

There rebuild consists of a world class goalie playing for them and a world class offensive forward Panarin) and world class young  dman (Fox) deciding he would only sign with them.

They got tremendous draft luck with the lottery but Laf and Kakko are no great shakes at this point. 

Put Georgiev in net as their starter and they don’t even sniff the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Derrico said:

I understand the frustration due to the systemic ineptitude of this organization. But it would be a horrible mistake to deviate from this regime's rebuild plan due to impatience. The resorting to expediency and a quick-fix mentality are what has set this franchise back for half a generation. No one needs to agree with everything  this young GM has done in his short tenure. What he has done right is establish a blueprint for the rebuild and with discipline adhere to it. This process is working and is materializing at a faster pace than I thought possible when he first took over the stewardship of this bedraggled franchise. I encourage you to be a little more patient. The last third of the past season should provide you with some realistic hope. Stay the course. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Yes, KA as a plan and he probably has Pegula's on board for his approach.  I would not tout a faster pace just because they didn't suck as bad last year as most people expected.  Lets see how next season goes.  He has cap room, draft picks, and a stronger analytics department - but he does not have a proven NHL goalie on his roster yet.  

Murray had a plan  - it was a total tear down to build-up assets and then rapidly use the assets to accelerate the re-build.  Unfortunately, it was a colossal failure in execution, and it gutted Rochester and left an NHL roster filled with bad chemistry.   

JBOT might have had a plan too - it was rebuild to Rochester and then flail around I guess.  Trading ROR, the Skinner Contract, Housley and Ralph - Ugh!

I wholeheartedly agree with you on our deficiency at the goalie position. If that position can be significantly upgraded this offseason, our assessment of this team dramatically shoots up. Let's see how the GM handles this issue this offseason. I'm not making any predictions because I just don't know what the GM's is going to do this offseason????

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.