Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

29 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

My son played with Nazar. Dynamic offensive player. Not a team player or a 200 ft player. I hope the Sabre DO NOT take him or McGroarty

People have talked about the Sabres taking USNDP players because of Nightengale’s extra insight.

Could just as easily lead to them avoiding players.

Didnt someone upthread talk about Nazar’s poor body language?

29 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

My son played with Nazar. Dynamic offensive player. Not a team player or a 200 ft player. I hope the Sabre DO NOT take him or McGroarty

People have talked about the Sabres taking USNDP players because of Nightengale’s extra insight.

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Good point on Nightengale, you want honest evaluation from people that know him well.

Nazar has dropped lately, I wonder if this stuff has leaked.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Good point on Nightengale, you want honest evaluation from people that know him well.

Nazar has dropped lately, I wonder if this stuff has leaked.

After Cooper & Grigorenko dropped significantly & did basically nothing (less than in Dave's case) am perfectly fine w/ Adams letting a guy like Nazar or Lambert drop at least 1 more slot when the Sabres is on the clock.

• Like (+1) 4

49 minutes ago, JKB1646 said:

Why not McGroarty?

Also, at what age/level did your son play with Nazar?

Edited by Curt

50 minutes ago, Derrico said:

Just for discussion sake.  If Sabres wanted to trade up with 9 and 16 to get onto the top 5 would it be worth it and/or possible? 

Worth it? Hard to say. If Nemec falls to where that trade can happen and you don’t expect Jiriceck to make it, I would consider it. But the value of 2 quality prospects is hard to beat for one slightly higher quality prospect. 

Possible? Also hard to say as it will heavily depend on the team/FO

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Curt said:

That’s a low key good take.

I told people at the time "we sure Mitch Marner isn't as elite as Eichel or better?  I think you have to take Eichel but I'm pretty sure Marner is elite."

I wouldn't have had the stones to make that call...

Arizona took Strome at 3 bc you just had to get that Center.  Marner goes to TO at 4th overall.  Thanks Arizona.  

I just feel a bit vindicated.  At least just my evaluation process - which wouldn't land me a job or a job I'd keep very long lol.

FYI pick 16 in that draft was Barzal.  

Rantanen went pick 10.

Imagine coming away with something like this which is why I'm not trading both picks to move up.  The talent is there get it.  

Edited by Second Line Center
  • Like (+1) 2

Your friend and mine, Yuri, said that Marner should be the pick back then.  Sure he was mocked, but look how it turned out.

Yuri was a character alright, but he knew a thing or two about hockey too.  His crusades didn't really work out on here, but seems to have for real in NYS.

Anyway, I miss him.  Too bad he ended up being an agent provocateur sent from The Great Satan.

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Derrico said:

Just for discussion sake.  If Sabres wanted to trade up with 9 and 16 to get onto the top 5 would it be worth it and/or possible? 

I doubt there is anyone at the top that they would have that strong a conviction for.  
Lots of good players in this draft but none that are “franchise altering” 

19 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I doubt there is anyone at the top that they would have that strong a conviction for.  
Lots of good players in this draft but none that are “franchise altering” 

There almost surely will be players from this draft that are “franchise altering”.  Problem is that no one knows who they are yet.

• Like (+1) 5

3 hours ago, Curt said:

There almost surely will be players from this draft that are “franchise altering”.  Problem is that no one knows who they are yet.

This is a draft that could be void of 1st line players and top pair dmen.  The guy who is sitting in the number one slot is thought as a good 2nd line Center 

but you never know.  That’s why I like the Sabres have 2 shots at it in top 16 rather than just 1 

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

This is a draft that could be void of 1st line players and top pair dmen.  The guy who is sitting in the number one slot is thought as a good 2nd line Center 

but you never know.  That’s why I like the Sabres have 2 shots at it in top 16 rather than just 1 

It won’t be.  No drafts are.  Some players from this draft will be top 96 forwards and top 64 defensemen in the league.

57 minutes ago, Curt said:

It won’t be.  No drafts are.  Some players from this draft will be top 96 forwards and top 64 defensemen in the league.

Exactly. There will be Robert Thomases, Nick Suzukis and Josh Norrises. Maybe even a Cale Makar.

We just have to find them.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Exactly. There will be Robert Thomases, Nick Suzukis and Josh Norrises. Maybe even a Cale Makar.

That said, this is the most confident I've felt in years that the Sabres will make the right picks.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Hopefully the Sabres can find them.  Even if they don’t turn out to be top line guys, they still could be big time contributors to the Sabres success

My point was basically the guy in the 16th slot has almost the same chance to hit as the guy in 5th slot.

so I wouldn’t trade 9 and 16 for 5 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Don't forget we have 3 first round picks, not just 2, and before you dismiss the Florida pick remember Samuelsson was taken in the 2nd round. This draft should help fill the prospect cupboard nicely, but they'll all likely be development projects that'll take a few years at least. 

4 in the first 41 picks - one of our best situated drafts ever.

Best comparable was 2013 when we had 8, 16, 35 and 38 (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher and Hurley). For those who tend to expect too much from draft picks, 3 full-time NHLers is a pretty good haul for what those picks typically deliver. Cross your fingers for a Barzal or a Pastrnak, but you shouldn’t expect one.

The Sabres have had multiple 1st rounders in 9 drafts previous to this one. If we hang on to the picks it will be the 3rd time we pick 3 times in the first round.

The best situated draft ever is ever is a toss-up between 1982 (6, 9, 16, 26 and 30) and 1983 (5, 10, 11, 31 and 34). We took Housley, Cyr, Andreychuk, Mike Anderson and Jens Johanssen, then Barrasso, Lacombe, Creighton, Tucker and Hajdu.

In 2015 we had 4 of the first 31 but traded 21, 25 and 31 away.

In 2014 we had just one 1st rounder, but 4 picks in the top 49

Last year we had 7 of the 1st 97, which had only previously happened in ‘82 and ‘83, back when there was just 21 teams, and 1970, when there were 14.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 3

On 5/11/2022 at 7:43 PM, JKB1646 said:

Ryan Reynolds Reaction GIF

On 5/12/2022 at 9:07 AM, Curt said:

Nah Curt we have a half dozen posters here who know who the good players are going to be.  They saw them at the grocery store buying gluten free hot dog buns, a clear indication that said player doesn’t work hard.  

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

4 in the first 41 picks - one of our best situated drafts ever.

Best comparable was 2013 when we had 8, 16, 35 and 38 (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Compher and Hurley). For those who tend to expect too much from draft picks, 3 full-time NHLers is a pretty good haul for what those picks typically deliver. Cross your fingers for a Barzal or a Pastrnak, but you shouldn’t expect one.

The Sabres have had multiple 1st rounders in 9 drafts previous to this one. If we hang on to the picks it will be the 3rd time we pick 3 times in the first round.

The best situated draft ever is ever is a toss-up between 1982 (6, 9, 16, 26 and 30) and 1983 (5, 10, 11, 31 and 34). We took Housley, Cyr, Andreychuk, Mike Anderson and Jens Johanssen, then Barrasso, Lacombe, Creighton, Tucker and Hajdu.

In 2015 we had 4 of the first 31 but traded 21, 25 and 31 away.

In 2014 we had just one 1st rounder, but 4 picks in the top 49

Last year we had 7 of the 1st 97, which had only previously happened in ‘82 and ‘83, back when there was just 21 teams, and 1970, when there were 14.

Ya, I remember that '82 draft. Scotty Bowman genius era. Andreychuk at 16 was the steal of that draft. Looking back on it, also shows you how first overall isn't always the best player. Gord Kluzak was a decent player, Bellows was good, but Scott Stevens at 5, man, that guy turned out to be foundational. 

2015 is just a sad reminder of how Murray screwed things up. Tanking and then trading away your picks. Much sadness.  It's taken years of pain, but it does seem like Adams has reversed that idea and will stick with building via the draft, and it's a good thing. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Ya, I remember that '82 draft. Scotty Bowman genius era. Andreychuk at 16 was the steal of that draft. Looking back on it, also shows you how first overall isn't always the best player. Gord Kluzak was a decent player, Bellows was good, but Scott Stevens at 5, man, that guy turned out to be foundational. 

2015 is just a sad reminder of how Murray screwed things up. Tanking and then trading away your picks. Much sadness.  It's taken years of pain, but it does seem like Adams has reversed that idea and will stick with building via the draft, and it's a good thing. 

When Yzerman returned to Detroit after his stint with Tampa he was asked at his first Detroit draft how was he going to get Detroit back to prominence in the NHL. He tersely told the interviewer: I'll do it the right way: draft and develop. He then walked away. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.