Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

26 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Hope they get Nazar, he's dynamic and a plus skater with plus quickness.  He fits their blueprint.

Plus they will have detailed knowledge of the USNTDP Players from Adam Nightengale 

1 minute ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Former Buffalo Sabres picks at 9OA and 16OA:

1982 (9OA) Paul Cyr

1982 (16OA) Dave Andreychuk

1995 (16OA) Martin Biron

2011 (16OA) Joel Armia

2013 (16OA) Nikita Zadorov

1982 was a very good draft for the Sabres 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Just curious. 

When you guys are saying “I want so and so,” have you actually watched them play in full games, or are you basing your want on highlight clips and media opinions?

McGroarty sounds like a much better hockey name than Geekie.

Personally, I have limited viewings of the non OHL guys, except for World Juniors, U18 and Olympics. CHL top prospects game was one game so that is a small sample. Even the OHL modified their schedule this year so the East and West have not played each other at all. I have only seen Eastern Conference teams.

I don’t consider myself an expert by any means but I read quite a bit about draft prospects and watch a few videos on favourites. My go to is Elite Prospects consolidated list, where they have about a dozen reputable mock drafts and use a player’s average ranking. I don’t know how to use fancy stats but I will take a guy’s word that so and so has better possession numbers than another guy.

Long winded way of saying that my guess has a tiny fraction of the experts’ knowledge, and they guess wrong quite a bit.

#9 I'm hoping for RW Joakim Kemell, he isn't huge at 5'11" 176 lbs. by any means but he is very scrappy, plays at a high energy and is a relentless shooter. at #16 Cutter Gauthier would be another excellent addition, decent size at 6'2" 190 lbs., he isn't a power forward yet but I think he could easily turn into 1 down the road, just sucks he's another one that is at Boston College, that always makes me wonder if the kid will sign or go somewhere else.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

1982 (9OA) Paul Cyr

1995 (16OA) Martin Biron

2011 (16OA) Joel Armia

Interesting that the only other time we drafted 9OA was along with a 16OA. And exactly 40 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, IKnowPhysics said:

1982 (9OA) Paul Cyr

1995 (16OA) Martin Biron

2011 (16OA) Joel Armia

Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

McGroarty sounds like a much better hockey name than Geekie.

Personally, I have limited viewings of the non OHL guys, except for World Juniors, U18 and Olympics. CHL top prospects game was one game so that is a small sample. Even the OHL modified their schedule this year so the East and West have not played each other at all. I have only seen Eastern Conference teams.

I don’t consider myself an expert by any means but I read quite a bit about draft prospects and watch a few videos on favourites. My go to is Elite Prospects consolidated list, where they have about a dozen reputable mock drafts and use a player’s average ranking. I don’t know how to use fancy stats but I will take a guy’s word that so and so has better possession numbers than another guy.

Long winded way of saying that my guess has a tiny fraction of the experts’ knowledge, and they guess wrong quite a bit.

McGroarty has too many “r”s in weird places.  I like Geekie.  

11 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Just curious. 

When you guys are saying “I want so and so,” have you actually watched them play in full games, or are you basing your want on highlight clips and media opinions?

Don't have access to watch full games.  I usually base my predictions on size and pedigree and not on just statistics.  

Going back over the past 10 years I do remember some of my predictions.

I liked Boldy over the Cozens pick in 2019 because of Boldy's size.

I know I liked Matthew Tkachuk the year we took Nylander.  He just didn't fall to us and Sabres didn't trade up together him. 

The big one for me was Draisaitl.  You could tell he had good speed and had an NHL body when drafted.  Sabres went with the safe choice in Reinhart.

In 2013 we took Risto and let Canucks take Horvat one pick behind us who I also really liked.

16 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Don't have access to watch full games.  I usually base my predictions on size and pedigree and not on just statistics.  

I know I liked Matthew Tkachuk the year we took Nylander.  He just didn't fall to us and Sabres didn't trade up together him. 

The big one for me was Draisaitl.  You could tell he had good speed and had an NHL body when drafted.  Sabres went with the safe choice in Reinhart.

In 2013 we took Risto and let Canucks take Horvat one pick behind us who I also really liked.

There are full games for pretty much all of these guys on YouTube.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

This seems like an inconsistent post. You say you like size (I assume bigger being better), but Cozens is bigger than Boldy and Risto is bigger than Horvat (i.e. 50% of the options you list). Personally, I don't like factoring weight too much into things - an NHL body for an 18-year old who likely won't play for a year or two, by which the string bean also has put on muscle and has an NHL body.

I also think an NHL body can actually over-value the prospect, as they have been able to muscle their way through the lower leagues and cant do that in the NHL and don't have the skill to compensate (see Kassian as an example, but its a super common problem).

I also (personally) draft away from pedigree, I think someone's father or brother being a good player is also used to over-evaluate players (i.e. Nylander, Subban, Staal etc.). I'd take the players on their own merit rather than family connections.

Finally, I think it's unfair to 'criticise' Sabres for not drafting a player who was already drafted, or not trading up for them - they may have really liked Tkachuk, but Calgary wanted 3 firsts to move the three spots.

21 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Hope they get Nazar, he's dynamic and a plus skater with plus quickness.  He fits their blueprint.

My son played with Nazar. Dynamic offensive player. Not a team player or a 200 ft player. I hope the Sabre DO NOT take him or McGroarty

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.