Playoff GDT 5/10/22 - Rochester @ Utica 7pm AHLTV

inkman

11 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

When people defend UPL numbers saying the the D in front of him is a tire fire - this is exactly what they are talking about 

Right, but why were Dell’s numbers much better for the whole season? Surely UPL should be able to outplay Dell, even behind a bad defense. Truth is, UPL is largely responsible for a lot of the bad goals he’s given up. 

Edited by Amerks8796

2 hours ago, Amerks8796 said:

Right, but why were Dell’s numbers much better for the whole season? Surely UPL should be able to outplay Dell, even behind a bad defense. Truth is, UPL is largely responsible for a lot of the bad goals he’s given up. 

Why were UPLs number drastically better with the Sabres than Dells?   

maybe Dell has more experience playing in front of the key stone cops? 

26 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Maybe Dell had much more time with Samuelsson, Fitzgerald and other vet D in the lineup. I don’t care enough to look it up. 

14 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

this is a question and concern for me: quinn's gone quiet on the score sheet. cause for concern, or, as baker posits, a step in his development?

i am fairly comfortable concluding that this is developmental. the A obviously doesn't have the speed or skill that the big league does, but, lord, it seems like they can bang bodies just about as well (and it appears that sometimes AHL teams will focus on  doing just that more than a team would in the NHL (??)).

59 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Over a very short sample? Dell has played a lot of NHL games with quite respectable numbers. 

My observations of UPL is he gives up way too many weak goals. That’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed. Like goals you can’t believe a professional would give up, let alone a supposed too prospect.

8 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

Over a very short sample? Dell has played a lot of NHL games with quite respectable numbers. 

My observations of UPL is he gives up way too many weak goals. That’s the biggest thing I’ve noticed. Like goals you can’t believe a professional would give up, let alone a supposed too prospect.

I would say the exact same thing about professional defencemen that have put on an Amerks sweater this year

All I know, over 2 seasons UPL has looked the part in the NHL and not so much in the AHL.  I wouldn’t write off any goalie prospect that had to play in front of the Amerks d corps  this past season.  They’ve been bad if not putrid for most of the season.    

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would say the exact same thing about professional defencemen that have put on an Amerks sweater this year

All I know, over 2 seasons UPL has looked the part in the NHL and not so much in the AHL.  I wouldn’t write off any goalie prospect that had to play in front of the Amerks d corps  this past season.  They’ve been bad if not putrid for most of the season.    

I’m not writing him off. But the larger sample is in Rochester. He’s barely played in the NHL. His game has a lot of weaknesses. I’m a Sabres fan, too, and I’m not counting on him to be anything more than a replacement level backup. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I certainly agree that a bad D corps makes life tough for a goalie, but that doesn’t mean one can’t evaluate the goalie’s play separately. UPL has had some hot streaks where he looks fantastic and then stretches where he can’t stop a beach ball. I think he has issues and even if he managed to get thru a season without injury, I don’t see anything more than a 20 game backup at the next level. 

20 minutes ago, Amerks8796 said:

I’m not writing him off. But the larger sample is in Rochester. He’s barely played in the NHL. His game has a lot of weaknesses. I’m a Sabres fan, too, and I’m not counting on him to be anything more than a replacement level backup. 

To me, it's shots from the outside that he is ready for.

He looks NHL level in terms of tracking, technique and athleticism and seems very strong down low.

Edited by dudacek

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He looks NHL level in terms of tracking, technique and athleticism and seems very strong down low.

The analysis of UPL's game that you just gave is the same analysis that Marty Biron gave on him. He stated that he was worried about his less than stellar ability to stop those long shots. To state the obvious: Those are deflating goals to let in! 

1 hour ago, Amerks8796 said:

57 minutes ago, dudacek said:

21 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The analysis of UPL's game that you just gave is the same analysis that Marty Biron gave on him. He stated that he was worried about his less than stellar ability to stop those long shots. To state the obvious: Those are deflating goals to let in! 

This is in-line with what I've heard and read as well: really good down low and in tight, and perplexingly unreliable on tracking long shots.

Are we going to see the UPL WTF Wave replace the Miller WTF Wave?

millershrug.0.gif

And whither @Ghost of Dwight Drane with a theory on UPL's eyes not being level?

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is in-line with what I've heard and read as well: really good down low and in tight, and perplexingly unreliable on tracking long shots.

Are we going to see the UPL WTF Wave replace the Miller WTF Wave?

millershrug.0.gif

And whither @Ghost of Dwight Drane with a theory on UPL's eyes not being level?

It's likely that if there is a technical issue with his proclivity to missing long shots that it will be corrected. My biggest concern about him is durability. That is starting to bother me a lot. The thought of Anderson and UPL being our two top goaltenders to start the season next year would be a big gamble, and in my eyes be a mistake. There is a lot of good things happening with this roster. I would hate to see it sabotaged because of our goaltending situation.  

4 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

this is a question and concern for me: quinn's gone quiet on the score sheet. cause for concern, or, as baker posits, a step in his development?

i am fairly comfortable concluding that this is developmental. the A obviously doesn't have the speed or skill that the big league does, but, lord, it seems like they can bang bodies just about as well (and it appears that sometimes AHL teams will focus on  doing just that more than a team would in the NHL (??)).

Gut feel is that his drop-off is as simple as running out of gas at the end of his 1st full pro season.  (Remember he dealt w/ a couple of issues last year (mono & sports hernia?).)

Haven't noticed him on the ice in ~ a month.  He was the most noticeable F on the team before that (as the stats well document).

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Gut feel is that his drop-off is as simple as running out of gas at the end of his 1st full pro season.  (Remember he dealt w/ a couple of issues last year (mono & sports hernia?).)

Haven't noticed him on the ice in ~ a month.  He was the most noticeable F on the team before that (as the stats well document).

Could be inured too

• Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.