Islanders Fire Trotz after 4 seasons.

GASabresIUFAN

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Winnipeg interviewing Trotz. That would be a good fit imo. They were close to playing Trotz style hockey in the bubble season. Won't take a lot to get them to play his way and be a tough team to play against. 

I'd be happy to see him go out west.  Hated playing the Islanders while he was coaching although they say Lane Lambert is the same style of coach.

7 hours ago, inkman said:

Doesn’t he coach dead puck era style? Taking the air out of the puck if you will.  How many nonsensical adjacent sports references can I make in one post?  I’m taking it to the house!!

None the less, GMs need to be held accountable for hiring guys like that.  Look at Meatballs.  He’s got the kids flying. Florida, Tampa, Colorado.  All the current good teams are employing uptempo styles, why keep letting teams set your league back to 1980.  Let’s have fun. 

Yes they're flying, and they are also letting a lot of goals in. I don't think Trotz advocates slow, he just has tight structure and they don't let the other team do what they want. We struggled mightily against those sort of teams (eg. Boston) and those 2-1 playoff games are Trotz type hockey. 

let's revisit this after Calgary -Edmonton because that is a perfect clash of what you see as old and new. If Edmonton wins you're right, but if Calgary wins, and I think they will, then maybe it's not completely outdated just yet. 

37 minutes ago, Digger said:

I'd be happy to see him go out west.  Hated playing the Islanders while he was coaching although they say Lane Lambert is the same style of coach.

Ya, don't see Lambert changing them too much,   the rumor going around is that Trotz and Barzal had beef and Barzal I guess won. 

6 hours ago, K-9 said:

I don’t see Scheifele being a fit with Trotz. Then again, if Ovie could adapt, perhaps he can, too.

Doesn't Scheifele want out anyway? That was a rumor a while back. idk, I think Winnipeg won more games when they grinded it out. They don't have the talent to play wide open. So he fits unless they want to tear down and redo. 

Yes they're flying, and they are also letting a lot of goals in. I don't think Trotz advocates slow, he just has tight structure and they don't let the other team do what they want. We struggled mightily against those sort of teams (eg. Boston) and those 2-1 playoff games are Trotz type hockey. 

let's revisit this after Calgary -Edmonton because that is a perfect clash of what you see as old and new. If Edmonton wins you're right, but if Calgary wins, and I think they will, then maybe it's not completely outdated just yet. 

The NHL shouldn’t be concerned about who’s is winning and who is losing.  They should be concerned about the quality of their product.  Games that end 2-1 generally suck.  Yeah, yeah, goalie battle, hard fought defensive game.  Sucks. Gimme goals.  If the NHL wants to gain popularity, they need excitement.  Goals = Excitement. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, inkman said:

The NHL shouldn’t be concerned about who’s is winning and who is losing.  They should be concerned about the quality of their product.  Games that end 2-1 generally suck.  Yeah, yeah, goalie battle, hard fought defensive game.  Sucks. Gimme goals.  If the NHL wants to gain popularity, they need excitement.  Goals = Excitement. 

As long as it doesn’t resemble the NBA where both teams score at will and then start playing some D in the last two minutes.

I like the fast, swashbuckling type of game. Teams would need 2 good goaltenders because of the amount of shots they would face.

4 hours ago, inkman said:

I will get shouted down by the boards vocal minority, but you know what else brings excitement to the crowd…hitting and fighting.  👍🏻

• Thanks (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I will get shouted down by the boards vocal minority, but you know what else brings excitement to the crowd…hitting and fighting.  👍🏻

One of those still happens on a regular basis… and One of those is a dying dinosaur that rarely happens in today’s NHL. It’s more like a wrestling match/tug-of-war/cracking knuckles on helmets activity. 😂

4 hours ago, inkman said:

The NHL shouldn’t be concerned about who’s is winning and who is losing.  They should be concerned about the quality of their product.  Games that end 2-1 generally suck.  Yeah, yeah, goalie battle, hard fought defensive game.  Sucks. Gimme goals and/or chances. If the NHL wants to gain popularity, they need excitement. Goals and/or chances = Excitement. 

FIFY.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/17/2022 at 5:41 PM, K-9 said:

I don’t see Scheifele being a fit with Trotz. Then again, if Ovie could adapt, perhaps he can, too.

Good points.

That said, I don't think any sentence, especially a very short one, should ever have three (3) commas.

😉 😘

*The grammar police*

*They live inside my head*

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Good points.

That said, I don't think any sentence, especially a very short one, should ever have three (3) commas.

😉 😘

*The grammar police*

Bite, your, tongue, now!  😉

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Bite, your, tongue, now!  😉

My wife always says that it is impossible to follow along with anything that I say.

My putting periods at odd places in the middle of sentences and the fact that I have marbles in my mouth does not help.  I am cursed by the habit of starting to talk before I have the thought completed in my head.  Cursed, I say.

• Thanks (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Good points.

😉 😘

*The grammar police*

The use of a coma before “too” is completely a matter of choice; there is no right or wrong way grammatically speaking, but I can see where others would choose not to use the comma there. Just a matter of habit with me.

The other two commas in my sentence make perfect grammatical sense as they serve to emphasize my thought. 

Just wait until I start stringing colons and semi-colons together. Your head will explode, grammar cop.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I was gonna say the exact same thing, but figured I'd get lit up. They get just as many cheers from fans as when goals are scored. You also see all the players tapping sticks after some fisticuffs. 

It's kind like NASCAR. When the cars are in a train for 80 laps, it's boring. The last 2-3 laps when guys are going balls out and they start wrecking each other, that's when the races are most exciting. Those green, white, checker finishes are doozies.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

7 hours ago, Zamboni said:

One of those still happens on a regular basis… and One of those is a dying dinosaur that rarely happens in today’s NHL. It’s more like a wrestling match/tug-of-war/cracking knuckles on helmets activity. 😂

1 hour ago, Claude Balls said:

I was gonna say the exact same thing, but figured I'd get lit up. They get just as many cheers from fans as when goals are scored. You also see all the players tapping sticks after some fisticuffs. 

It's kind like NASCAR. When the cars are in a train for 80 laps, it's boring. The last 2-3 laps when guys are going balls out and they start wrecking each other, that's when the races are most exciting. Those green, white, checker finishes are doozies.

It may be cheap thrills but hitting and fighting are fan grabbers.  It is why I was so crushed when Borgen left via the expansion draft.  Jus the right amount of skill mixed with sandpaper.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

It may be cheap thrills but hitting and fighting are fan grabbers.  It is why I was so crushed when Borgen left via the expansion draft.  Jus the right amount of skill mixed with sandpaper.  

That's why I would love to see KA take a run at Tkachuk, but know there's no way in hell he will.  

And speaking of Borgen, wasn't he the one that beat the brakes off now Amerk MacInnis?

Edited by Claude Balls

17 hours ago, inkman said:

Disagree entirely. Big saves, blocked shots, heavy hits, lots of things besides goals make for good games. Intensity is what matters, not how many go in the net. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Disagree entirely. Big saves, blocked shots, heavy hits, lots of things besides goals make for good games. Intensity is what matters, not how many go in the net. 

To you, the most traditionalist poster on Sabrespace 

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Claude Balls said:

That's why I would love to see KA take a run at Tkachuk, but know there's no way in hell he will.  

And speaking of Borgen, wasn't he the one that beat the brakes off now Amerk MacInnis?

Yes.  MacInnis sucks and Quinn plays with him too much.  He’s barely a 3rd line player in the AHL. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

The use of a coma before “too” is completely a matter of choice; there is no right or wrong way grammatically speaking, but I can see where others would choose not to use the comma there. Just a matter of habit with me.

The other two commas in my sentence make perfect grammatical sense as they serve to emphasize my thought. 

Just wait until I start stringing colons and semi-colons together. Your head will explode, grammar cop.

This tune inspired my *grammar police* post ...

On 5/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, inkman said:

Sure. If they are exciting. I think the number of goals scored in the EDM/CGY game made it less exciting. It would have been way more exciting if EDM had tied it at 3-3 in the 3rd as opposed to 6-6. It may have actually meant something.

I will say I find it exciting then the Sabres score. Been some dark years.

I agree. In recent years, some of those "Vegas style" back and forth games, where nobody gets hit and, for the most part, the two teams just trade losing the puck, and then a goal is scored on some lucky bounce, are some of the the most painfully boring games I've ever seen (all while reading on here someone telling me how exciting they are).

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, K-9 said:

Please keep your colons out of here.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, inkman said:

To you, the most traditionalist poster on Sabrespace 

"traditionalist" is an interesting word. I'm taking it as a compliment because the game was good when I started watching it, that's why I started watching it. Changing from good isn't always a good thing. Otherwise, I'm not really that. The word I will repeat is "intensity". That's the key to a good game. Just that. The rest follows with that. 

On 5/17/2022 at 3:41 PM, K-9 said:

If Scheif doesn't start playing both sides of the red line, I hope he is gone next season.

If he decides to play D a bit, I am okay with him being on the team but he was a liability this season.

Lots of turmoil in the Jets' room and rumors have it that they are centered around his lack of gaf.

If Trotz signs here, we'll probably be a playoff team again and that is all that I want. Missing the playoffs suck big time.

I see him deciding between Detroit and Winnipeg unless someone offers him a job in management.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.