Islanders Fire Trotz after 4 seasons.

GASabresIUFAN

I can only guess they want a change in style and/or type of play. Trotz has that D first shut down style that likes to play the 1 goal game. Maybe they feel the league is moving to a more open offensive style (which it sort of is) and they want that high flying offense. idk but I bet he gets another job fast if he wants one. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I can only guess they want a change in style and/or type of play. Trotz has that D first shut down style that likes to play the 1 goal game. Maybe they feel the league is moving to a more open offensive style (which it sort of is) and they want that high flying offense. idk but I bet he gets another job fast if he wants one. 

They lost a few players that could score  this year, I think. 

The Islanders were a deep team but they have let a steady stream of players leave (Okposo, Tavares, Leddy, Toews, Eberle, Greiss, Dehaan) or get old (Boychuk, Bailey, Hickey, Lee, Martin, Clutterbuck, Ladd, Palmieri, Parise, Chara) without effectively replacing them.

• Like (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Good luck painting racing stripes on those Clydesdales

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

https://nypost.com/2022/05/09/islanders-fire-barry-trotz-in-stunner/

The team completely underachieved this season.  I guess he is the fall guy.

Can't fire all the players so it's gotta be the coach...

They played that annoying defend at all costs style for the first few seasons pretty well and once they had a 1-0 lead it was pretty much over...

Didn't work so well this year...

2 hours ago, Ducky said:

Let's hope he is on his way home to MB and coaching the Jets.

Might as well be there.  As long as he's out of the east, it's good.

Do you really think he'd join on out there at the beginning of the rebuild?  (Presuming that's the direction they're heading.)  You think they might just retool on the run?

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if Vegas gives Him a call

37 minutes ago, SDS said:

Jack in a defense first style team would be amazing.

Honestly, LVGK should try for Trotz.  Their defencive positioning at the end of the year was not good.  How that plays with Eichel and others,...

Besides the performance of the team, I assume end of season interviews with players are taken into account with this decision.  If some of the top players on the team (Barzal, Nelson, Lee, etc.) have grown tired of the style of play with Trotz (along with a down year) it's likely easy to give the coach a shove out the door.  My assumptions only.  I was thinking the last time we played the Islanders that a guy like Barzal would love to be playing under Granato and the style the Sabres were playing at the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Digger said:

Besides the performance of the team, I assume end of season interviews with players are taken into account with this decision.  If some of the top players on the team (Barzal, Nelson, Lee, etc.) have grown tired of the style of play with Trotz (along with a down year) it's likely easy to give the coach a shove out the door.  My assumptions only.  I was thinking the last time we played the Islanders that a guy like Barzal would love to be playing under Granato and the style the Sabres were playing at the end of the season.

Lou said he didn’t give any credence to anything players said in regards to Trotz’s firing.

4 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If the league is moving towards a more open offensive style, then why would he get another gig quickly?

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I wonder if Vegas gives Him a call

Isn't LV more built for offense instead of what Trotz specializes in?

17 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

If the league is moving towards a more open offensive style, then why would he get another gig quickly?

I don’t think the bolded is true.  Based on their personnel, they should be able to be a strong team defensively.  

24 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

This is something of a fallacy regarding Trotz: He tailors how his teams play based on the roster he has. The Caps certainly didn't play a low event style because they had tons of skilled players. The Isles didn't have lots of skilled players. Think Pat Riley coaching the Showtime Lakers and then coaching the 90's Knicks that won by beating the living ***** out of tbeir opponents

No surprise.  The coaching carousel that is the NHL. Trotz prior to this firing was the 5th most tenured coach with a team.  Only Cassidy, Bednar, Sullivan and Cooper have been in their respective positions longer.  Really makes you appreciate what Lindy did in Buffalo. 

• Like (+1) 2

All coaches are hired to be fired.  Isn't that the general rule in all pro sports.  Also how many coaches have every won a Cup with more than one team besides Bowman? The answer is 1 and that is Dick Irvin in the 1930's and 40's with Tor and Mon.   Ruff, Maurice and Vigneault all have 722 to 7823 wins and zero Cups.  

Good coaches usually have to go through the carousel a few times before finding the right situation.  For example, Quenneville got his during his 3rd job, Trotz his second, Laviolette his second, and Sutter his 4th.  

I guess Lou being Lou decided it was time to put his stamp on this version of the NYI.  Hard to question Lou given his track record.

29 minutes ago, sabresparaavida said:

Out of curiosity… with the new lottery rules, if a team between 12-16 wins the first lottery, and then a bottom ten team wins the second lottery, do they still move up to second overall? Or do they move up to first overall?

The first winner moves up 10 spots or to first overall. The second winner moves up 10 spots or to second overall. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.