Is Gambling Good For Professional Sports Or Bad?

bob_sauve28

Is Gambling Good For Professional Sports Or Bad?   

38 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gambling Good For Professional Sports Or Bad?

• Good
    • Bad

18 hours ago, SwampD said:

Okay, we know why it may have been viewed as immoral 200 years ago, but why now?

FTR, I don't know a single person who wastes time when they are high.

Everyone's metabolism is different. Big Pharma has many different drugs that treat the same thing, because what works for some with no side effect doesn't work for others or has terrible side effects. Why do people assume MJ would be any different?

And yes, I'm triggered. Having studied it as much as I have for my daughter's situation, while I was using MJ (still illegal at the time) to keep her seizures at bay for over 2 and a half years and keep her from hitting herself in the head over a thousand times a day, I had to listen to all these ridiculous, closed minded, uninformed, borderline offensive "moral" statements, usually based in religion (ya know, something that has never been the cause of harm to anyone).

Did I mention I was triggered?

Oh, and I can't stand the gambling segments during the intermissions, almost as much as I can't stand the fantasy segments before NFL games.

The government should of made it legal for medical use all along as it does have legitimate uses. Additionally the material hemp shouldn't of been made into a evil material as it historically was highly useful.

As for recreational use I'll always be against it due to its terrible smell. (Not very fond of the cigarette smell either) Both in excess can cause me trouble due to my asthma. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, thewookie1 said:

The government should of made it legal for medical use all along as it does have legitimate uses. Additionally the material hemp shouldn't of been made into a evil material as it historically was highly useful.

As for recreational use I'll always be against it due to its terrible smell. (Not very fond of the cigarette smell either) Both in excess can cause me trouble due to my asthma. 

If being stinky is reason for being illegal, I can think of hundreds of people who should be in jail.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

What about the smokeless forms?

Just as tobacco smoking is illegal in and around public buildings, it’s the same for marijuana smoking.

I think going forward, I high percentage of legal marijuana usage will not actually be smoking.

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Like most things, gambling starts off good, then turns to ****.

As for cannabis, it being illegal is more for racial and policing reasons than anything else.

I've heard others say this as well.  What are the racial and policing reasons?

3 hours ago, RangerDave said:

I've heard others say this as well.  What are the racial and policing reasons?

In the 30's marijuana was considered a drug used mainly by Blacks and Hispanics. But when white kids started using it...

In the 1930s Harry J. Anslinger, head of the Federal Bureau of Narcotics, turned the battle against marijuana into an all-out war. Some believe that he was motivated less by safety concerns—the vast majority of scientists he surveyed claimed that the drug was not dangerous—and more by a desire to promote his newly created department. Whatever the impetus, Anslinger sought a federal ban on the drug, and to this end he initiated a high-profile campaign that relied heavily on racism. Anslinger claimed that the majority of pot smokers were minorities, including African Americans, and that marijuana had a negative effect on these “degenerate races,” such as inducing violence or causing insanity. Furthermore, he noted, “Reefer makes ***** think they’re as good as white men.” Perhaps even more worrisome to Anslinger was pot’s supposed threat to white women’s virtue. He believed that smoking pot would result in their having sex with black men.

Aided by an eager news media—and such propaganda films as Reefer Madness (1936)—Anslinger eventually oversaw the passage of the Marihuana Tax Act in 1937, which effectively made the drug illegal across the United States. Although declared unconstitutional in 1969, it was replaced by the Controlled Substances Act the following year. That legislation classified marijuana—as well as heroin and LSD, among others—as a Schedule I drug. Perhaps unsurprisingly, racism was also evident in the enforcement of the law. According to some studies, African Americans in the early 21st century were nearly four times more likely than whites to be arrested on marijuana-related charges—despite both groups having similar usage rates.

https://www.britannica.com/story/why-is-marijuana-illegal-in-the-us#:~:text=Aided by an eager news,illegal across the United States.

Further, pot became a useful tool in arresting anti-war protesters. You can't bust hippies for free speech activities, but you can bust them for weed. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

In the 30's marijuana was considered a drug used mainly by Blacks and Hispanics. But when white kids started using it...

Thanks for the education.  (Although the 30's was, like, 90 years ago and it has just begun to be legalized for recreational use in the last 10 or so years.  I'm pretty sure white kids have been using it for longer than that.  😵  I always heard it was "hip" among the jazz crowd, whether black or white.)

9 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

Thanks for the education.  (Although the 30's was, like, 90 years ago and it has just begun to be legalized for recreational use in the last 10 or so years.  I'm pretty sure white kids have been using it for longer than that.  😵  I always heard it was "hip" among the jazz crowd, whether black or white.)

It's becoming legal because of the almighty buck. Why let the black market keep all that cash?  But there are a few holdouts including my home state of NH. It's all theater.

Gambling has bought every car I've ever owned. It's paid my rent/mortgage since I was 19 years old. It paid off all my student loans too.

Everyone should do it. 

Edited by ubkev
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, ubkev said:

Gambling has bought every car I've ever owned. It's paid my rent/mortgage since I was 19 years old. It paid off all my student loans too.

Everyone should do it. 

I did very well on the Bills two years ago because betting lines are based on what people believe, not what is real. Few though the Bills and Allen were that good, so betting lines were ridiculously unbalanced. Took advantage of that.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Everyone should do it. 

That’s how I feel about advertising and cable distribution services.😂

• Haha (+1) 1

On 5/6/2022 at 7:25 AM, K-9 said:

Can’t stand the non-stop advertising, especially the disingenuous concern for gambling addicts. Who are they kidding? Gambling addicts are their best customers.

hehe --so true. the concern is total BS.

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/7/2022 at 8:24 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

But there are a few holdouts including my home state of NH. It's all theater.

So ironic in the "Life Free or Die" state. Don't need to wear a helmet or a seat belt here, but marijuana is a no-no, despite it being recreationally legal on every border.

As with all types of data, certain trends or patterns of behavior start to surface within a given population. Gambling addiction statistics are no different. Some of the more prevalent gambling trends show:

The likelihood of developing a gambling addiction increases 23-fold for people affected by alcohol use disorders

Over 80 percent of American adults gamble on a yearly basis

Three to five gamblers out of every hundred struggles with a gambling problem

As many as 750,000 young people, ages 14 to 21 have a gambling addiction

https://www.addictions.com/gambling/5-alarming-gambling-addiction-statistics/

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

So ironic in the "Life Free or Die" state. Don't need to wear a helmet or a seat belt here, but marijuana is a no-no, despite it being recreationally legal on every border.

Yup. Mainly due to the influence of certain police organizations. That and a political landscape that has gone from rational purple to MAGA-insanity red.

How? NH's unique form of town meeting governance. It sounds so quaint and quintessentially American. But it's also the easiest to hijack with just a handful of loonies. We have been targeted by a dark money group called the Free State Project that moves members into small towns where they run for office and take over. It's scary how a couple of hundred people can take over an entire state.

On 5/6/2022 at 10:07 AM, JoeSchmoe said:

I'm in favour of letting people bet, but it's not my thing. 

It drives me nuts listening to people on the radio talking about it... I could really care less.

I turn into "Sports Radio" to hear about sports but the morning show on GR has turned into Fantasy Land and gambling city and I would never listen to the afternoon gamblers because they so rarely delve into actual sports.   We all know that eventually a major game is going to get thrown and the culprit caught ... NBA officials have already crossed the line.  

My real question is .... when will Pete Rose be allowed into the Hall of Fame because he merely bet on his own team to win.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, BfloDave said:

My real question is .... when will Pete Rose be allowed into the Hall of Fame because he merely bet on his own team to win.

Never.  You can really hurt your own team in baseball if you've bet on them to win--for example, by leaving an ace pitcher in for too long.

• Thanks (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Never.  You can really hurt your own team in baseball if you've bet on them to win--for example, by leaving an ace pitcher in for too long.

That and, those games that he doesn't bet on his team to win, well maybe he lets his best bullpen guys get a rest for tomorrow's game where there will be money on the line.

Unless he's betting on his own team every game & with the same bet, he'll consciously or unconsciously affect the outcomes of both the games he does bet on & the ones he doesn't.

Had he been exclusively betting on AL games, personally wouldn't have seen any issue w/ it as those games were as relevant to the NL prior to interleague play as the NFL was.

The Gretzky Bet MGM commercial irks me. It has the Bellagio as the background and Wayne is supposed to be standing betweent two ice giants formed out of the frozen Bellagio fountains. I get that MGM Resorts operates the Bellagio, but this is like a Lexus commercial that's full of Toyota's and Scions. The MGM Grand is down the street ffs.

No one on earth cares about this except me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.