off season trade ideas

sweetlou

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Didn't work for Myers all that well. 

More importantly Karlsson is not anywhere near worth his contract at this point of his career already and has always had defensive short comings. If urns were a couple years younger and more defensively sound I'd be interested in him but alas that is not reality. 

What didn’t work for Myers all that well?

Burns actual salary for the next 3 years is $16.5 million while his cap hit would be $8million a year.  That helps Buffalo get to the cap floor the next two years.  If the Sabres start running into trouble the third year maybe he would be ok at "retiring" or being placed on LTIR like so many player who are in their late 30's.

3 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Burns actual salary for the next 3 years is $16.5 million while his cap hit would be $8million a year.  That helps Buffalo get to the cap floor the next two years.  If the Sabres start running into trouble the third year maybe he would be ok at "retiring" or being placed on LTIR like so many player who are in their late 30's.

The Sabres won’t have any problem getting to the floor in 2023-24.  Thompson, KO, Z, Asplund and Cozens all need new deals. 

• Like (+1) 2

• 2 weeks later...

Has KA identified another Tuch like player that would love to be closer to home and play for Buffalo?

Iafallo from Eden won't be moved by LA.

Joel Farabee from Syracuse just re upped with Flyers.

Sean Kuraly with Columbus hat NTC with Columbus.

Dustin Brown set to retire.  Would have loved him in Sabres uni for one year to help mentor kids.

Nick Foligno has NMC with Boston.

Andrew Poturalski is an UFA from Williamsville.  Had a great year in AHL.  Could be a nice depth signing for Amerks, and always a chance to get called up to your home town. 

Justin Bailey is from Buffalo and could also be a nice depth signing for Amerks as well. 

Miles Wood is an RFA and would look great in a Sabres uni.  I would trade Olofsson, R2and Fitzgerald to NJ for Wood and McCloud.

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Has KA identified another Tuch like player that would love to be closer to home and play for Buffalo?

Dustin Brown set to retire.  Would have loved him in Sabres uni for one year to help mentor kids.

Andrew Poturalski is an UFA from Williamsville.  Had a great year in AHL.  Could be a nice depth signing for Amerks, and always a chance to get called up to your home town. 

Justin Bailey is from Buffalo and could also be a nice depth signing for Amerks as well. 

Miles Wood is an RFA and would look great in a Sabres uni.  I would trade Olofsson, R2and Fitzgerald to NJ for Wood and McCloud.

Can't see Miles Wood happy in Buffalo.  There was very bad blood between his dad & the Sabres w/ the way his Sabre tenure ended.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, sweetlou said:

Think you'd need to expand your idea into southern Ontario for a decent pool of players who might want to be closer to "home" even if maybe Buffalo is second choice to the Laughs. 

1 hour ago, EBG said:

Nicholas Paul from Tampa is a UFA from Missisauga 6’3” centerman 

Like that. 

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Think you'd need to expand your idea into southern Ontario for a decent pool of players who might want to be closer to "home" even if maybe Buffalo is second choice to the Laughs. 

Like that. 

Nick Paul played his junior hockey here in North Bay. Good kid.

He has an awkward skating style but he gets there. He is a big body who can play C or W. He scored the game winner for Canada at the World Championship last year, on the team with Power. He wore an A in Ottawa. He reminds me of Gaustad.

He has earned a larger role with Tampa now that Point is hurt.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Like that. 

I think that is something that matters in SOME cases.  A few years ago I remember a discussion where a few players from in and around Toronto (maybe Skinner was one?) would say they would like to play near their family, where the family could drive to games easily, but simply did not want the pressure/lifestyle of playing for the Maple leafs.   For others, playing for the Leafs is a dream, it depends on who it is.

From the late 1990's for almost a decade I lived in Boston and that was an issue that came up with the Red Sox at times.  The fanbase for the Redsox (like the Leafs) was SO intense that there were some players that just wanted no part of it.  Could not walk down the street, could not go grocery shopping without being talked to (and yelled at after a loss) and it wasn't just the players, it was often the players wife that would have to deal with that.

9 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I think that is something that matters in SOME cases.  A few years ago I remember a discussion where a few players from in and around Toronto (maybe Skinner was one?) would say they would like to play near their family, where the family could drive to games easily, but simply did not want the pressure/lifestyle of playing for the Maple leafs.   For others, playing for the Leafs is a dream, it depends on who it is.

From the late 1990's for almost a decade I lived in Boston and that was an issue that came up with the Red Sox at times.  The fanbase for the Redsox (like the Leafs) was SO intense that there were some players that just wanted no part of it.  Could not walk down the street, could not go grocery shopping without being talked to (and yelled at after a loss) and it wasn't just the players, it was often the players wife that would have to deal with that.

This is a good point. There are a million different reasons why people want to live where they want to live. Also, just because someone was born in or around Buffalo doesn’t make it their home. I’m sure we all have friends who couldn’t wait to get out of here and some who want to come back.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, tom webster said:

This is a good point. There are a million different reasons why people want to live where they want to live. Also, just because someone was born in or around Buffalo doesn’t make it their home. I’m sure we all have friends who couldn’t wait to get out of here and some who want to come back.

Oftentimes, though not always, they are the same people.  😉

Definitely agree with getting a bit more physical. This team has drafted smaller skilled players for awhile and needs some physicality. I am all for adding some skilled size players that are seriously physical for the 3rd/4th line. Agree with most though that Asplund should not be moved....he is great defensively and when he is on the ice, the ice always seems to tilt away from the Sabres net.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

He seems to like staying in front of the net looking for the rebounds.... a good thing.

He showed that very early in the season I think.  Part of the problem is that he needs scoring line time/power play time in order to get those opportunities.  The good thing is he's demonstrating to Granato he's capable of performing when he gets those opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, EBG said:

Nicholas Paul from Tampa is a UFA from Missisauga 6’3” centerman 

I like him as a player, just don't know what term he wants.  He rejected a 4 year $10million extension by Sens.

Would he come to Buffalo for a 4 year $13million contract?

5 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I like him as a player, just don't know what term he wants.  He rejected a 4 year $10million extension by Sens.

Would he come to Buffalo for a 4 year $13million contract?

Hmm that’s interesting.  On one hand, that’s definitely a lot for a bottom 6 C, on the other hand it is the profile that Buffalo needs.

I think that some of this will depend on their plans for Cozens.  It seems to me that they expect Cozens to fill that role of middle 6 shutdown C and are grooming him for it.

If that holds true, I have a hard time seeing them invest the money and term in someone like Paul.  They may be looking for more of a 10-12 min per night, 4th line energy C, for a lot cheaper.

On 5/5/2022 at 3:50 PM, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

I'd offer FLA's 2022 first pick which we own... rights to Ryan Johnson... and Portillo for Kane... perhaps Philly's 2023 2nd round as a sweetner... Toews contract 10.5 million is unmovable... Kane is off the books at 10.5 million which would give the Hawks extra cap space after spending stupid money on Jones along with giving up picks in that belied the rebuild that is coming... does Kane fit culture and would he stay on a new contract... don't know, but the Sabres have thrown cash (spaghetti) against the wall many times... it may worth trying it with Kane  

We don't need a Kane, we need help on D and between the pipes. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/17/2022 at 6:24 PM, sweetlou said:

Justin Bailey? If he's smart he hangs them up, I didn't think he was an NHLer when we had him and for his sake I wouldn't bring him back.

17 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Definitely, and that was part of the Skinner scenario. Also why JBot should have stuck to a line in the sand with a more reasonable number. Skinner wanted to play near southern Ontario. JBot held almost as much leverage as Skinner's agent had, but he was worried for his job I guess and I suppose hadn't worked out a line with the owner. It was a failed negotiation regardless but that's yesterday's news. 

Point is you're right, it used to be a desirable place to play and could be again. Should be. Word will travel from players like Power and Tuch. Assuming we start winning of course. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.