off season trade ideas

sweetlou

Trying to utilize the Sabres cap space next two years while not depleting the prospects and or draft picks.

I want this to be for fans to list creative but realistic trade ideas for players that would fit into the Sabres plans.

1st trade idea-

Vegas is in trouble next year and do not have cap space for all their current players under contract and to sign RFA's. Although I like Asplund's game and he is under a good contract for next year at 825K, I'd rather get a player similar to him that is more physical, so that is why I target RFA Kolesar from Vegas. Dadanov is a player that Vegas tried to move this year but ran into the whole NTC fiasco.  Dadanov probably has the Sabres on his no trade list as well but Sabres could be middle team and even retain salary and move him to a team he wants to go to.  RFA Hague is a solid 6'6" 3rd pairing LD who is from Kitchener who I believe would love being closer to home.

Asplund and Vegas 2nd rd pick to Vegas.

Dadanov, Hague, Kolsesar and 3rd rd Buffalo pick to Buffalo.

Deal is basically Asplund for Kolesar, 2nd rd pick for Hague, and Dadanov and Buffalo 3rd for future considerations. Again Vegas needs to shed cap.

Buffalo then would turn around and send Dadanov to Washington for Eller, or another team for a pick and retain salary if needed.

2nd trade idea-

Florida is also in cap trouble and will need to shed salary. 

3rd rd pick to Florida for Radko Gudas.

Sabres defense for 22-23.

Mule, Dahlin

Power, Joker

Hague, Gudas

Edited by sweetlou
mis spelled words
  • Thanks (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

Trying to utilize the Sabres cap space next two years while not depleting the prospects and or draft picks.

I want this to be for fans to list creative but realistic trade ideas for players that would fit into the Sabres plans.

1st trade idea-

Vegas is in trouble next year and do not have cap space for all their current players under contract and to sign RFA's. Although I like Asplund's game and he is under a good contract for next year at 825K, I'd rather get a player similar to him that is more physical, so that is why I target RFA Kolesar from Vegas. Dadanov is a player that Vegas tried to move this year but ran into the whole NTC fiasco.  Dadanov probably has the Sabres on his no trade list as well but Sabres could be middle team and even retain salary and move him to a team he wants to go to.  RFA Hague is a solid 6'6" 3rd pairing LD who is from Kitchener who I believe would love being closer to home.

Deal is basically Asplund for Kolesar, 2nd rd pick for Hague, and Dadanov and Buffalo 3rd for future considerations. Again Vegas needs to shed cap.

Buffalo then would turn around and send Dadanov to Washington for Eller, or another team for a pick and retain salary if needed.

2nd trade idea-

Mule, Dahlin

Power, Joker

Hague, Gudas

They are not trading Asplund unless it’s an unbelievable offer.

@sweetlou

When I did my first drafts of possible teams for next year, I like you assumed most of the new talent would be trades for players with term.  I went in with the idea that what UFA would want to come here if they had a choice.  However the last 8 weeks have changed that narrative.  Also I think KA has been pretty clear that he doesn't plan to move any of the 1st rd picks and he and DG expect to bring back the majority of the roster.  

That doesn't leave much trade bait except our cap space.  

Right now I think KA can accomplish his goals with second tier UFAs, but I'm still not adverse to a trade, I just think the odds have gone down.

On the trade front, I can see KA going after someone like Dreiger from Seattle for the goaltending.  I also like Nick Jensen from the Caps.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd offer FLA's 2022 first pick which we own... rights to Ryan Johnson... and Portillo for Kane... perhaps Philly's 2023 2nd round as a sweetner... Toews contract 10.5 million is unmovable... Kane is off the books at 10.5 million which would give the Hawks extra cap space after spending stupid money on Jones along with giving up picks in that belied the rebuild that is coming... does Kane fit culture and would he stay on a new contract... don't know, but the Sabres have thrown cash (spaghetti) against the wall many times... it may worth trying it with Kane  

Edited by Standing Room Smoking Cigs
added

1 hour ago, Porous Five Hole said:

If the Sabres are looking to improve via trade and utilize their cap flexibility, I would think they would go shopping on teams that are resigned to a rebuild, but behind the Sabres timeline. Teams like Chicago, Phili, Montreal. 

Teams find a way in and out of cap jail pretty easily. 

Chicago.

Instead of a pure cap dump like Boychuk why not get a guy with a bit of tread on his tires.

Jonathan Toews could replace Eakin on the 4th line. He has won at every level, and has been a leader on those teams. Chicago could retain some salary and/or add an asset for the Sabres to take him. He wouldn’t come in here as a 1C or 2C and block the young guys.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Chicago.

Instead of a pure cap dump like Boychuk why not get a guy with a bit of tread on his tires.

Jonathan Toews could replace Eakin on the 4th line. He has won at every level, and has been a leader on those teams. Chicago could retain some salary and/or add an asset for the Sabres to take him. He wouldn’t come in here as a 1C or 2C and block the young guys.

I could get behind something like this.

But I don’t know if Toews has anything left. He scored 12G, 25A for 37 points in 71 games, makes 10.5M next year, and has a no move clause.  

6 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

I could get behind something like this.

But I don’t know if Toews has anything left. He scored 12G, 25A for 37 points in 71 games, makes 10.5M next year, and has a no move clause.  

Like I said, Boychuk was $6M to sit at home. Toews $10.5 for a bottom six C. I’d be OK with those numbers if he can play a shutdown role, mentor young guys, PK and win some face offs.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Toews $10.5 for a bottom six C. I’d be OK with those numbers if he can play a shutdown role, mentor young guys, PK and win some face offs.

It just seems like a play out the string situation for him though.  Maybe getting on a team on the upswing would invigorate him, but I think it's just as likely he's part of the reason the Hawks are on a downswing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Standing Room Smoking Cigs said:

I'd offer FLA's 2022 first pick which we own... rights to Ryan Johnson... and Portillo for Kane... perhaps Philly's 2023 2nd round as a sweetner... Toews contract 10.5 million is unmovable... Kane is off the books at 10.5 million which would give the Hawks extra cap space after spending stupid money on Jones along with giving up picks in that belied the rebuild that is coming... does Kane fit culture and would he stay on a new contract... don't know, but the Sabres have thrown cash (spaghetti) against the wall many times... it may worth trying it with Kane  

so basically we get Kane, who just came off one of his top scoring seasons, for almost nothing.

6 hours ago, sweetlou said:

1st trade idea-

2nd trade idea-

Mule, Dahlin

Power, Joker

Hague, Gudas

If you're going to do all this work, could you at least get us a starting goalie?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

7 hours ago, sweetlou said:

1st trade idea-

2nd trade idea-

Mule, Dahlin

Power, Joker

Hague, Gudas

Why would we trade for a lhd? 

7 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Kolesar and Asplund are not even close to being similar players. Asplund’s Defensive Metrics are amongst the NHL’s Best. Kolesar’s are below league average.

EBFEE42D-C5DE-4395-AC30-C5D37D79A3E8.jpeg

Asplund will continue to get hate until his sh% regresses. 

12 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It may not.  Maybe he has a flaw in his shot that NHL goalkeepers can read.  That's what happened to Pat Falloon.

When you can see the whole ice, you can really see how good Asplund is defencively.

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

As to a LHD, maybe KA wants to upgrade Bryson with a bigger more physical player? 

I don’t think we want Asplund’s shooting % to regress; it was only 6.2 last season.  If he could get it to 11 or so he’d become a fixture here.

Despite my saying I doubt KA makes a major trade, I do think UPL, Fitz, Asplund, Bryson and Girgensons should all be available in the right deals.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

As to a LHD, maybe KA wants to upgrade Bryson with a bigger more physical player? 

I don’t think we want Asplund’s shooting % to regress; it was only 6.2 last season.  If he could get it to 11 or so he’d become a fixture here.

Despite my saying I doubt KA makes a major trade, I do think UPL, Fitz, Asplund, Bryson and Girgensons should all be available in the right deals.

Then Adams is a moron if he thinks Hague is good. 

Regression to a mean can be positive or negative so yes I want Regression back to Asplunds mean sh%.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That’s not what you wrote.

Which part?

17 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Let's see... lhd and that was about Hague

Sh% regresses... that's almost verbatim.

36 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Which part?

Let's see... lhd and that was about Hague

Sh% regresses... that's almost verbatim.

the word regress basically means to diminish.  If Asplund's Shooting % diminishes any further it would be zero.  

You didn't write that his shooting % needs to regress back to the mean.  This has a completely different meaning.  

19 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

the word regress basically means to diminish.  If Asplund's Shooting % diminishes any further it would be zero.  

You didn't write that his shooting % needs to regress back to the mean.  This has a completely different meaning.  

Regress means return but we're splitting hairs. Asplund needs to get his sh% back to his mean or improve it. 

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Regress means return but we're splitting hairs. Asplund needs to get his sh% back to his mean or improve it. 

Why didn't you just simply write he needs to improve his shooting.  in his 3 seasons he has shot 8%, 20% and 6%.  He needs to get more consistent and and improve.  His shot is good enough to be at least consistently in the 10-12 range.  If he gets there and combines that with stellar two way play, he'll become a core player.  He isn't there yet.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.