A Letter from Kyle Okposo to Fans

Brawndo

Writing letters and scoring goals. What can't this guy do? 

It's been apparent since the season began that he'd become the next captain. He's done the work and he's earned it. It's too early to talk about his next contract, we have to see if he can keep up the level of play.

6 hours ago, dudacek said:

Listening to Donnie and Kevyn at the end of the year, I think they are going to make his captaincy official.

The issue is how does Z fit in?

Because I think they'd prefer the As to go to younger leaders, probably Tuch and Dahlin.

I don't know the players personally, so I don't know who deserves the A's.  I've heard great things from their teammates about the leadership that Kyle and Zemgus have showed this year.  I also hope and think that Tuch will be a great leader.

I just hope they give the C and the A's to people who deserve them and who will serve the team well.  We've all learned not to just give a captaincy to a player because he is a skilled player or is the highest paid.

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think that Zemgus will care either way.  He has said that he will play his game and lead by example.  He is not an inspiring speaker he has said.

That said, I do beleive that when Zemgus is in the line up he will wear an *A*.  Is there some rule against having 3?  I would have Zemgus a permanent *A* and the other two you suggested rotate home and away.  If any of the 3 *A*s are out  of the lineup the other two wear the *A*.

Teams are allowed to have up to 3 skaters wearing a letter in a game.  If nobody wears the C, there can be 3 A's.  If there is a C, there can only be 2 A's.  Goalies aren't allowed to officially be designated as in game C's/A's.  

How a team chooses who wears the letters for any given game is strictly up to them.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

C = Kyle

A = Tuch 

A = Dahlin 

I think Zemgus said it himself.  He is comfortable leading without a letter, because he is quiet and he leads by example.  

Tage has potential to get a letter. 

Down the road longer, you could see Power evolving to a leadership role.  

With the changes that Adams made we have solid character on the team.  

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

C = Kyle

A = Tuch 

A = Dahlin 

I think Zemgus said it himself.  He is comfortable leading without a letter, because he is quiet and he leads by example.  

Not quite sure I saw that in a small 8 game sample. 

What I saw, was a player playing a simple game and trying not to screw up, and getting humbled by Tarasenko. 

Pinching in on plays didn’t scream leadership to me. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

C = Kyle

A = Tuch 

A = Dahlin 

I haven't heard Cozens name mentioned yet.  Not now, but in a couple years, after Kyle retires I see Cozens & Tuch as having the greatest potential/character/leadership to deserve the C.  Of course they have to earn it first. In the years ahead, our Workhorse from Whitehorse will have had lots of time to be mentored/taught how to be a leader of men by Kyle. If he earns it and proves he is ready to graduate from Padawan to Jedi Master, it will be obvious and he will be awarded a letter.

It is fun to think about where this team is heading and the quality of the people (not just talent) that is being assembled & maturing together. They will be special, fun to watch, and have sustainable success for many years in the not too distant future.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wow people jump on and off the bandwagons fast here. Two years ago Kyle had a horrible contract, we were stuck with dead money, how could we get rid of him, and now Saint Kyle for captain. 

He can keep the A, but I still say anything other than Tuch as Captain will be a mistake.  

Well, when you get 25 goals and 61 points over 3 seasons in exchange for $18M the contract will look pretty bad.  I wouldn’t call that bandwagon jumping, it’s just the way it is.  I think that all along people respected Kyle as a person.

The only thing about Okposo for C is that it would be a very short term thing.  I don’t really like that.  Kyle is a great mentor and resource for the young players on this team, but he will not be a leader of the next Buffalo Sabres cup contender.

Should it be Tuch?  The stories of his demeanor and how he treats people are really nice.  Seems like a fine choice, but I’m not in the room.  If for whatever reason, he doesn’t want it or management doesn’t think it’s the right time, I don’t really care if they leave it vacant for another year.  

8 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Not quite sure I saw that in a small 8 game sample. 

What I saw, was a player playing a simple game and trying not to screw up, and getting humbled by Tarasenko. 

Pinching in on plays didn’t scream leadership to me. 

Pinching in on plays?   Think bigger.  

I’m talking 5+ years down the road.  He will be a cornerstone for the franchise.    

Edited by Pimlach

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Wow people jump on and off the bandwagons fast here. Two years ago Kyle had a horrible contract, we were stuck with dead money, how could we get rid of him, and now Saint Kyle for captain. 

He can keep the A, but I still say anything other than Tuch as Captain will be a mistake.  

Am i correct to conclude you don't invest a lot of time in player interviews?

On 5/5/2022 at 10:26 AM, Brawndo said:

I love the way he referenced and worded the VGK game. Instead of giving “that other guy” any further free advertising, he lauded TOG’s replacements and their performance.

No need to further let TOG live rent free in their heads (or ours). They’ve clearly moved on from him, and are looking to build with their current roster/chemistry.

8 hours ago, Curt said:

Well, when you get 25 goals and 61 points over 3 seasons in exchange for $18M the contract will look pretty bad.  I wouldn’t call that bandwagon jumping, it’s just the way it is.  I think that all along people respected Kyle as a person.

The only thing about Okposo for C is that it would be a very short term thing.  I don’t really like that.  Kyle is a great mentor and resource for the young players on this team, but he will not be a leader of the next Buffalo Sabres cup contender.

Should it be Tuch?  The stories of his demeanor and how he treats people are really nice.  Seems like a fine choice, but I’m not in the room.  If for whatever reason, he doesn’t want it or management doesn’t think it’s the right time, I don’t really care if they leave it vacant for another year.  

I'm just saying 2 years ago if anyone had suggested Kyle as captain they'd have been mocked and laughed at so it's kind of funny to see all this love for him now. 

The short term thing is my point really. It's time to solidly build forward and not look at temporary things. Kyle could have a crap year next season. He might reach his end and struggle with the tempo. He might get dealt at the deadline. I want a captain who stays captain for years to come. 

You can see Tuch's demeanor, attitude, the local boy thing. Everything got better with his arrival. Naming him captain will make his day and he will give back all he can and be a lifer. 

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Am i correct to conclude you don't invest a lot of time in player interviews?

correct.

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm just saying 2 years ago if anyone had suggested Kyle as captain they'd have been mocked and laughed at so it's kind of funny to see all this love for him now. 

The short term thing is my point really. It's time to solidly build forward and not look at temporary things. Kyle could have a crap year next season. He might reach his end and struggle with the tempo. He might get dealt at the deadline. I want a captain who stays captain for years to come. 

You can see Tuch's demeanor, attitude, the local boy thing. Everything got better with his arrival. Naming him captain will make his day and he will give back all he can and be a lifer. 

Agree completely with the 2nd paragraph.

3rd paragraph: Tuch does seem like a galvanizing force that brings everyone together and if becomes captain that definitely is my hope as well.  He just may be the right guy to captain this team at this moment.

• Like (+1) 1

I really appreciate a player taking the time to write a letter to fans. I don't remember a player ever doing this before. I will admit I only pay attention to the Sabres and don't remember this happening before. But I really appreciate it when it is heart felt.

4 minutes ago, sabresouth said:

I really appreciate a player taking the time to write a letter to fans. I don't remember a player ever doing this before. I will admit I only pay attention to the Sabres and don't remember this happening before. But I really appreciate it when it is heart felt.

Back when the Superbowl Era Bills team was being dismantled a few of the players took out full page letters in the BN to thank fans for their support through the years when they left town.  Can't really think of a lot of other examples.

So, yeah, it seems quite uncommon.  But also remember that the Sabres PR group is MUCH better now than past incarnations & the new team was installed starting around last summer.  It may have been Okposo's idea, but it also might have been suggested by others.

Not saying it wasn't cool of Kyle to do so.  It was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, sabresouth said:

This actually isn’t the first letter that Okposo has written to the fans.  He also wrote one last offseason I believe.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.