A Letter from Kyle Okposo to Fans

Brawndo

9 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Next year’s Captain and Team President , Kyle Okposo😁

Listening to Donnie and Kevyn at the end of the year, I think they are going to make his captaincy official.

The issue is how does Z fit in?

Because I think they'd prefer the As to go to younger leaders, probably Tuch and Dahlin.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Listening to Donnie and Kevyn at the end of the year, I think they are going to make his captaincy official.

The issue is how does Z fit in?

Because I think they'd prefer the As to go to younger leaders, probably Tuch and Dahlin.

I don't think that Zemgus will care either way.  He has said that he will play his game and lead by example.  He is not an inspiring speaker he has said.

That said, I do beleive that when Zemgus is in the line up he will wear an *A*.  Is there some rule against having 3?  I would have Zemgus a permanent *A* and the other two you suggested rotate home and away.  If any of the 3 *A*s are out  of the lineup the other two wear the *A*.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't think that Zemgus will care either way.  He has said that he will play his game and lead by example.  He is not an inspiring speaker he has said.

That said, I do beleive that when Zemgus is in the line up he will wear an *A*.  Is there some rule against having 3?  I would have Zemgus a permanent *A* and the other two you suggested rotate home and away.  If any of the 3 *A*s are out  of the lineup the other two wear the *A*.

Maybe you go Zemgus and Tage at home and Ras and Alex away?

Then when KO moves on, the new captain is chosen out of the other three, with other two getting the As full time.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Then when KO moves on, the new captain is chosen out of the other three, with other two getting the As full time.

5-1 =4.  Unless you mean when KO and Zemgus move on. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

That would work when both Kyle and Zemgus move on, eh??

Not a bad plan atoll.

1 minute ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I know next year is last on KO contract but he needs to stay and keep leading this group of kids. I personally think he would easily stay!

I agree.  I think he should be signed for 2 years at $5M per.  He would stay for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I know next year is last on KO contract but he needs to stay and keep leading this group of kids. I personally think he would easily stay!

I wouldn’t keep him for his current salary. But that’s just me.

if he wants to do one year contracts at 4 mil per (or less) … fine.

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Sabres would not offer only $4M ... 2 years at $5M per is going to be the deal.

Like I said. Ok. Fine. It’s my opinion… I wouldn’t sign him for that. Sabres Will probably have a different opinion… And that’s fine. I won’t bitch and complain about it. It’s not my money. 😂

• Like (+1) 1

Culture change can be a fragile thing.  Kyle needs to have a presence on this "work in process" for it to continue its upward trend.  We hear it constantly in pro sports that it's a "business".  Young leaders will emerge, but IMHO we still need Kyle for at least 2 more years.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Like I said. Ok. Fine. It’s my opinion… I wouldn’t sign him for that. Sabres Will probably have a different opinion… And that’s fine. I won’t bitch and complain about it. It’s not my money. 😂

You may be right.  I just think it's low for how the Sabres view Kyle.  Also, they are going to have to get to the cap floor ... what a joke.  I believe the Sabres will spend much closer to t he cap this coming season and especially the next one when Kyle's new contract (if he gets one) will kick in.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...

3 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The Sabres would not offer only $4M ... 2 years at $5M per is going to be the deal.

That's too much impo. If he's getting 2 more years, anything over 4m is too much and 3.5 is my preferred number. 

Just now, Sabres Fan in NS said:

You maybe right.  I just think it's low for how the Sabres view Kyle.  Also, they are going to have to get to the cap floor ... what a joke.  I believe the Sabres will spend much closer to t he cap this coming season and especially the next one when Kyle's new contract (if he gets one) will kick in.

And again, in 2 more years from right now they have a ton of raises to give out. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

That's too much impo. If he's getting 2 more years, anything over 4m is too much and 3.5 is my preferred number. 

The contract will be $3.5M for his *hockey skills* PLUS $1.5M for his *other services* (leadership and a reward for being a good soldier during the darkest years).

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I wouldn’t keep him for his current salary. But that’s just me.

if he wants to do one year contracts at 4 mil per (or less) … fine.

I see what you are saying. Although if his production stays the same as this year he is more then worth the 5 per along with his leadership and the respect that "Dad" has in the locker room. They have the money and this is working. Again, i do get what you are saying. Sabres have a higher view of him i am sure.

I like how he flipped the Vegas game from the anti-Eichel game to a Krebs and Tuch game. Okposo is the captain in all but a sewn "C" on his jersey.

As for Okposo's extension I'd offer 2 contract options. 2x3.5mil or 1x5mil and another 1x2.5mil if he's still interested.  

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

I see what you are saying. Although if his production stays the same as this year he is more then worth the 5 per along with his leadership and the respect that "Dad" has in the locker room. They have the money and this is working. Again, i do get what you are saying. Sabres have a higher view of him i am sure.

This is not correct. They have money now, they don't have it in 2024. 

4 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

The contract will be $3.5M for his *hockey skills* PLUS $1.5M for his *other services* (leadership and a reward for being a good soldier during the darkest years).

We don't agree. 

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I like how he flipped the Vegas game from the anti-Eichel game to a Krebs and Tuch game. Okposo is the captain in all but a sewn "C" on his jersey.

As for Okposo's extension I'd offer 2 contract options. 2x3.5mil or 1x5mil and another 1x2.5mil if he's still interested.  

I'm good with this, splitting the year with 2 deals

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is not correct. They have money now, they don't have it in 2024. 

Kyle seems like the type that would take a team friendly contract with an agreement to be paid for another function after retirement.

That would also strengthen the culture that is brewing.

• Like (+1) 6

That's an awesome letter by Kyle and I have to say the Sabres team and management have been killing it finally in bringing good will to the fan base to revel in. It's been an inspiring year and they made strides in giving us fans something to feel good about and cheer.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.