John Vogl moves on from the Sabres beat

SDS

4 minutes ago, SwampD said:

Good, lord. If there is a purgatory, it’s covering the the Sabres for the last decade.

He can do whatever he wants to next and announce it any way he wants. He’s earned it and I wish him well.

The purgatory line is fantastic ... lol !!  

2 minutes ago, Malazan said:

hey man, maybe he's just not good with words. 

Welcome!!

Sent you a beer.

The guy makes his living writting and talking, but I understand that does not necessarily make him good with words.

3 minutes ago, NJhopelessSabresfan66 said:

Was not a fan of his. In fact i stopped reading his crap. But wish him well as long it is away from any Buffalo team.

I’m the same. I actually cancelled my Athletic membership because I wasn’t finding his Sabres coverage to be worth anything. I got game logs, a mailbag, and one deep-dive once a month that was actually worth reading.  

Seems like a nice guy and I would wish him well if I saw him.  But we’re onto Cincinnati.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, dudacek said:

John has generally been a pro, and I wish him well.

Hope the new guy brings something fresh to the general coverage we get of the Sabres: humour, a storytelling voice, passion, connections, an eye for angles no one else is taking...maybe all of the above.

By and large, Sabres media tends to consist too much of familiar takes and echoes of games and post-game pressers — which I now watch first-hand instead.

I'd like to see someone leading some fresh conversations.

I couldn't have said this better. I'd like to get a fresh voice with some newer/modern ideas. I generally liked his writing over the years but I think he mailed in too many of his articles lately that didn't really broaden my horizons so to speak.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

i mean: he could have called it a "coveted opportunity" rather than one that was "long desired."

Well said. The onus is always on the communicator not the communicatee.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

John has generally been a pro, and I wish him well.

Hope the new guy brings something fresh to the general coverage we get of the Sabres: humour, a storytelling voice, passion, connections, an eye for angles no one else is taking...maybe all of the above.

By and large, Sabres media tends to consist too much of familiar takes and echoes of games and post-game pressers — which I now watch first-hand instead.

I'd like to see someone leading some fresh conversations.

Thank you. The Sabres media department has almost all of the media eating from their hands. It's amazing that hours to a day after player availabilty the same 10 stories are circulating. UPON RETURN GIRGENSONS IS LOOKING TO REGAIN SCORING TOUCH

39 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Jerry Sullivan?

I hope not haha

They already have Tim Graham as long-form. I don’t think they also need a columnist.  
But I’m sure there are plenty of seasoned hockey reporters from shuttered newspapers across the country that would like to be back on a hockey beat. 

Joe Yerdon would be excellent re-hire for them. 
He has been around the team for almost a decade, provides more in depth coverage of the team. 
Embraces multiple platforms such as radio appearances, and podcasts. He already has a Podcast with TBN Reporter Lance Lysowski called Maintenance Day. 

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Joe Yerdon would be excellent re-hire for them. 
He has been around the team for almost a decade, provides more in depth coverage of the team. 
Embraces multiple platforms such as radio appearances, and podcasts. He already has a Podcast with TBN Reporter Lance Lysowski called Maintenance Day. 

Started listening to the pod a few weeks ago. Enjoy it.

I like Joe. He’s a step up from most of the familiar faces. I’d rather they bring in a new voice than move an old one.

36 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Started listening to the pod a few weeks ago. Enjoy it.

I like Joe. He’s a step up from most of the familiar faces. I’d rather they bring in a new voice than move an old one.

I wouldn’t call Joe an old voice, He and Lance provide a great counterbalance to elder statesman of Sabres Coverage namely Hamilton and Harrington. 

He got the shaft when Covid Hit and The Athletic decided to cut staff and His Mom Died a short while ago. 

He’s a good dude that deserves a break.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.