John Vogl moves on from the Sabres beat

SDS

I noticed this yesterday as well.  I've also noticed that the number of writers at the Athletic covering the Buffalo teams has decreased over the years -- i.e. they used to have 2 guys regularly covering the Bills, then one of them left to cover the Patriots and he wasn't replaced.  The same thing happened with the Sabres a couple of years ago.

In any case, I thought Vogl was OK but not great.  I think Joe Buscaglia, who covers the Bills, is better.  I hope Vogl's replacement represents a step up.

• Like (+1) 1

Am I not reading his notice correctly, or is it a not very veiled shot at the the Sabres and maybe even Buffalo?

*A long-desired move ...* is a teriible way to say it, IMO.

I never really liked Vogl, but didn't really follow him much.

Edited by Sabres Fan in NS
more goodly ...
  • Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am I not reading his notice correctly, or is it a not very veiled shot at the the Sabres and maybe even Buffalo?

A guy wants to do something different than being a beat reporter for 20 years - the last 10 which contained copious amounts of misery? That is interpreted as a shot? 🙄

• Like (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, SDS said:

A guy wants to do something different than being a beat reporter for 20 years - the last 10 which contained copious amounts of misery? That is interpreted as a shot? 🙄

I don't blame him.  I just don't like the way he worded the first part of his exit notice.  No need for the eye roll.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't blame him.  I just don't like the way he worded the first part of his exit notice.  No need for the eye roll.

Maybe he always wanted to be an editor, or a politics reporter, or do documentaries.  Its not a shot to say he left to do something he’s wanted to do for a long time.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

This is exciting news, as long as he is replaced. 

There are some local people off the top of my head who would probably kill for the gig (Joe Yerdon or Bill Hoppe), but I hope it is a fresh voice from out of town.  

A clone of Maddy Glab, perhaps?

8 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't blame him.  I just don't like the way he worded his exit.  No need for the eye roll.

Every negative thought you “read” was inserted into those few words by you. John is Buffalo born and bred. Just a couple years ago, I used to play hockey in Maryland with a guy who went to high school with him in Buffalo and stood up at his wedding. The guy loves Buffalo.

So sure, the guy that was born in Buffalo, was raised in Buffalo, lived his  entire life in Buffalo, and covered the Sabres for 20 years, was taking a shot. You get another eyeroll for that. 🙄

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Maybe he always wanted to be an editor, or a politics reporter, or do documentaries.  Its not a shot to say he left to do something he’s wanted to do for a long time.

but it is susceptible to that interpretation. coming from someone who trades in words, that's not nothing.

He always struck me as a diligent and competent reporter when he covered the Sabres. He never particularly wow'd me or anything. I don't subscribe to The Athletic, so I haven't read him in years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, SDS said:

Every negative thought you “read” was inserted into those few words by you. John is Buffalo born and bred. Just a couple years ago, I used to play hockey in Maryland with a guy who went to high school with him in Buffalo and stood up at his wedding. The guy loves Buffalo.

So sure, the guy that was born in Buffalo, was raised in Buffalo, lived his  entire life in Buffalo, and covered the Sabres for 20 years, was taking a shot. You get another eyeroll for that. 🙄

Of course, that is the way I read it.  I have clearly stated that.  I have no problem with anyone else reading it any other way.  I think that he loves Buffalo and liked his work here with the Sabres.

Why can't I say that I did not like his choice of words to start his exit announcement?  And why does my opinion deserve an eye roll?  You and anyone can express their disagreement in a respectful way as is usually the case around here.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

but it is susceptible to that interpretation. coming from someone who trades in words, that's not nothing.

He always struck me as a diligent and competent reporter when he covered the Sabres. He never particularly wow'd me or anything. I don't subscribe to The Athletic, so I haven't read him in years.

Dude, its a twitter post.  He wasn’t going to wax poetic about it.  It was a simple, hey Im going to do something that I think is going to be better for me post.

John has generally been a pro, and I wish him well.

Hope the new guy brings something fresh to the general coverage we get of the Sabres: humour, a storytelling voice, passion, connections, an eye for angles no one else is taking...maybe all of the above.

By and large, Sabres media tends to consist too much of familiar takes and echoes of games and post-game pressers — which I now watch first-hand instead.

I'd like to see someone leading some fresh conversations.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

Dude, its a twitter post.  He wasn’t going to wax poetic about it.  It was a simple, hey Im going to do something that I think is going to be better for me post.

Live by the sword, die by the sword.

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

He did wax poetic about it and it was a wonderful post ... right after a not impressive first few words.  Again, only my opinion.

It would have been better to leave that first line out and just say that he was staying on at The Athletic.

16 minutes ago, Porous Five Hole said:

Well I’m not sure that’s a perfect comp. The Athletic seems to go after seasoned newspaper reporter types.  

I see what you’re saying. I was just throwing something out there - even if it stuck like Teflon.

58 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I am I not reading his notice correctly, or is it a not very veiled shot at the the Sabres and maybe even Buffalo?

He should have said, I have been given a exciting new opportunity or challenge.  How he wrote his good bye makes it seem like he hated his job for the last 20 years and maybe he has.

• Like (+1) 1

Good, lord. If there is a purgatory, it’s covering the the Sabres for the last decade.

He can do whatever he wants to next and announce it any way he wants. He’s earned it and I wish him well.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.