Vegas pick...do the Sabres want them to win the lottery this year?

sweetlou

I have not seen this discussed yet on the board so I want to get others opinion on this matter.  So if Vegas happens to win the lottery this year the highest they can pick would be 6th. (Teams can only move up 10 spots). 

By them winning it gives Buffalo an unprotected 1st rd pick in 2023 which is supposed to be a much deeper draft.  

So my question is:

Do the Sabres want pick #16 in 2022, or

a chance at a higher or lower pick in 2023 depending on how Vegas does next year?

With all the turmoil going on in Vegas right now I'd almost wish they win the lottery this year, struggle again next year and the Sabres get a top 10 pick in 2023.

Vegas has a 1% chance of moving up in the draft, so this is moot.

I doubt that Vegas is worse next season.  Much higher chance that they are better, make the playoffs, and draft somewhere in the 17-28 range.

Now even a 22nd pick in 2023 might be a slightly better prospect than 16th in 2022, but I would bet that the Sabres are excited to a good prospect into the system this year.

Like I said, moot anyway. Literally a 99% chance that it will be the 16th pick in the 2022 draft.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 3

55 minutes ago, Curt said:

Vegas has a 1% chance of moving up in the draft, so this is moot.

I doubt that Vegas is worse next season.  Much higher chance that they are better, make the playoffs, and draft somewhere in the 17-28 range.

Now even a 22nd pick in 2023 might be a slightly better prospect than 16th in 2022, but I would bet that the Sabres are excited to a good prospect into the system this year.

Like I said, moot anyway. Literally a 99% chance that it will be the 16th pick in the 2022 draft.

Well stated.

We want the pick this year.  There is good depth in this draft through 22.  I have guys like McGroarty, Isaac Howard, Snuggerud, Geekie, Ohgren and Meser in that tier.  I think all will be good NHL players.

Depending on how the draft goes:  

9 -10  Jiricek, Lekkerimaki, Gauthier, Nazar

16. Ohgren, McGroarty, Howard, Geekie, Mesar

32. ?? Lain Bichsel

I'd love 2/3 of the excellent Swedish line and grab Lekkerimaki and Ohgren.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

I think they want players in the system now but that's an interesting question because the 2023 draft is supposed to be so deep. 

Two first round picks next year isn't the worst thing that could happen imo.

3 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A more interesting question would be if Las Vegas wins the lottery and moves to 6, would they decline the pick.

Decline meaning refuse to make a pick or decline meaning waiving the lottery protection to give Buffalo the pick this year? 

11 minutes ago, tom webster said:

A more interesting question would be if Las Vegas wins the lottery and moves to 6, would they decline the pick.

The Aisles kept pick 5(?) in a weaker draft year expecting they'd be giving up a significantly lower pick the next year.  And their bet on themselves being significantly better the following year was right.

Seriously doubt Vegas wouldn't keep pick 6.  Would absolutely love to have that pick as it significantly increases the chance the Sabres land Jiricek and makes 9 a no brainer to grab the F the Sabres have assigned the highest ranking.

• Like (+1) 1

I'd rather have the pick this year.  Whoever you pick in the middle of the round is likely at least 3 years away from the NHL, and if they do become a major part of your team probably 4-5 years away from making a major contribution.  Take the pick now, keep the pipeline filled for a few years down the road.

I'm not so sure about them being better.    I see 3 teams better than them in pacific next year.    Kings/Flames/Oilers and about even as sharks and ducks.
And they still need to dump around 10 million without signing Smith.   

That being said I would take the pick this year for sure.   But I wouldn't be 100% sure they will be better next year.    

Dadonov / Smith are gone and then they still need 5 mill relieve.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Waiving the lottery protection 

That is an interesting question.  I guess the question for them would be do they, internally, believe that they will be substantially better next year.  If they believe that then they should keep the pick at 6 and give away next year's.  If they don't think that then they should give 6 to Buffalo.  How much better will 27 or 28 next year be than 6 this year?

I think the other aspect would be if they kept next year's pick they would be able to trade it again to add at the deadline which seems to be their MO.

4 hours ago, sweetlou said:

I have not seen this discussed yet on the board so I want to get others opinion on this matter.  So if Vegas happens to win the lottery this year the highest they can pick would be 6th. (Teams can only move up 10 spots). 

By them winning it gives Buffalo an unprotected 1st rd pick in 2023 which is supposed to be a much deeper draft.  

So my question is:

Do the Sabres want pick #16 in 2022, or

a chance at a higher or lower pick in 2023 depending on how Vegas does next year?

With all the turmoil going on in Vegas right now I'd almost wish they win the lottery this year, struggle again next year and the Sabres get a top 10 pick in 2023.

No.  Take the pick.  Vegas might be better next year.  

4 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

I'm not so sure about them being better.    I see 3 teams better than them in pacific next year.    Kings/Flames/Oilers and about even as sharks and ducks.
And they still need to dump around 10 million without signing Smith.   

That being said I would take the pick this year for sure.   But I wouldn't be 100% sure they will be better next year.    

Dadonov / Smith are gone and then they still need 5 mill relieve.

They just need to drop Lehner

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.