Pre-Game Atmosphere at Key Bank Arena is Lacking

CallawaySabres

I am about as old school as it gets, but when I see place like Vegas, Tampa, Carolina, etc with their pre-game hype machine, I get jealous every time. It is going to take at least another year to get the fans back but why not have some sort of pageantry before the game starts. A lot of the fans going right now are kids/teens and families. Bring the energy up and think of something else besides the same old video on the jumbotron.

I watch the knights arena before a game and it looks like the fans are gearing up for the Stanley Cup games. Our arena has been void of excitement for over 10 years and they need to figure something out (besides icing a good team) to get the puck moving. You can think the Vegas intro is cheesy and unnecessary but it accomplishes everything they are trying to do to get the energy going. Can they not even pass the flag around like they used to? Their whole idea of amping the fans up is blaring crappy music at every break of the game...it's freaking brutal.

One of these days, I am going to bring back the Sabres on the warpath chant.....THAT is what needs to be encouraged during the breaks.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am about as old school as it gets, but when I see place like Vegas, Tampa, Carolina, etc with their pre-game hype machine, I get jealous every time. It is going to take at least another year to get the fans back but why not have some sort of pageantry before the game starts. A lot of the fans going right now are kids/teens and families. Bring the energy up and think of something else besides the same old video on the jumbotron.

I watch the knights arena before a game and it looks like the fans are gearing up for the Stanley Cup games. Our arena has been void of excitement for over 10 years and they need to figure something out (besides icing a good team) to get the puck moving. You can think the Vegas intro is cheesy and unnecessary but it accomplishes everything they are trying to do to get the energy going. Can they not even pass the flag around like they used to? Their whole idea of amping the fans up is blaring crappy music at every break of the game...it's freaking brutal.

One of these days, I am going to bring back the Sabres on the warpath chant.....THAT is what needs to be encouraged during the breaks.

How is it that you don’t think this mindset is exactly the problem? People with this mindset claim that anything anyone else wants, primarily the younger generation, is crap. However, these same people want everyone to embrace things that get them excited because that’s what they grew up with 45 years ago.

While I’m not defending anything about the Sabres game day presentation, anyone who thinks substituting things they like, for things that other people like, is solving a problem is greatly mistaken.

44 minutes ago, SDS said:

How is it that you don’t think this mindset is exactly the problem? People with this mindset claim that anything anyone else wants, primarily the younger generation, is crap. However, these same people want everyone to embrace things that get them excited because that’s what they grew up with 45 years ago.

While I’m not defending anything about the Sabres game day presentation, anyone who thinks substituting things they like, for things that other people like, is solving a problem is greatly mistaken.

I am 51 years old and would love to see that type of atmosphere. I am not saying it is just for the young folks, everyone my age who sees other teams do this type of pregame ceremony says they would love to see it in Buffalo as well. I think the majority of fans that attend these games would enjoy it thoroughly. Why not have entertainment on AND off the ice?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CallawaySabres said:

I want to like that but in the current PC climate I can't imagine the team getting behind that, considering what people say about the tomahawk chop and stuff.

It's been kicked around, but I like the idea of a rousing rendition of The Erie Canal:  From Albany to BUFFALO.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I am 51 years old and would love to see that type of atmosphere. I am not saying it is just for the young folks, everyone my age who sees other teams do this type of pregame ceremony says they would love to see it in Buffalo as well. I think the majority of fans that attend these games would enjoy it thoroughly. Why not have entertainment on AND off the ice?

You guys tell on yourself all the time. Whenever anything new is ever tried, there is someone here calling it stupid and lame and it sucks. That’s not how I enjoy the game when I was 13 years old! I don’t want those people playing music I don’t listen to! I don’t want people playing a goal song that I don’t like! I don’t want to hear hip-hop! I don’t want people looking at the Jumbotron!

I don’t want anyone doing anything anywhere at any time that doesn’t mirror exactly what I want. 

A market like Vegas has it easy because they don’t have half their crowd bitching at the other half about their choices.

Also... if the Golden Knights do slip in the standings and don't make the playoffs several years running, all that hype will feel misplaced.

The Sabres are apparently on the way up, it would be good to create some synergy.  Like maybe a video of Blur's Song 2 during warmups and having the lyrics replaced the first time or two with Tuch screaming WOOOO! and then switching over to live camera of the crowd.  The WOOO would get the team up and rolling.  There's probably better stuff than that, but I like the idea of something that draws the crowd to the players on the team.

4 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I don’t need cannons or knights fighting each. A good singer for the Anthems play hockey. 

Actually, the goal cannon in Columbus is pretty awesome imo.

I would like a strong voice singing the anthem.... and not jazzing it up.

Just now, Doohickie said:

Let's see how things evolve there as they slip from prominence.

That might be the case, but I doubt they change a thing. However, I bet people outside the market will criticize them while they still have a good time.

6 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Exactly my point… “I would like…“

“I want a high energy atmosphere that caters to my exact taste, and that definitely includes eliminating jazzy anthems.” 

One thing I'm *not* a fan of is noise for the sake of noise.  Overall I've enjoyed the presentation at Dallas games (as much as someone rooting for the other team can), but at times they just crank up random metal music (probably mostly Pantera, not sure) and you can't even talk to the person next to you without screaming.  I'm okay with trying to maintain energy but audio assault can go too far.

1 minute ago, SDS said:

Exactly my point… “I would like…“

“I want a high energy atmosphere that caters to my exact taste, and that definitely includes eliminating jazzy anthems.” 

Fine:  You've proved your point.  People have preferences and express them.  Good for you.

Edited by Doohickie

I believe games should be entertaining.  I want there to be music and fans dancing during stoppages.  I want live music before the game and during the intermissions.  For the cost of tickets nowadays, fans should be entertained during the 3 hours they are at the arena. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, spndnchz said:

I don’t need cannons or knights fighting each. A good singer for the Anthems play hockey. 

Anything but the library atmosphere would be fine with me. There needs to be a change and what that change is I don't know....they need to do something as it will probably be another couple years before they can be a top 3 team in the division. Florida, Tampa and Toronto are not going away any time soon....and Boston will probably rebuild for the 5th time on the fly this summer.

48 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Also... if the Golden Knights do slip in the standings and don't make the playoffs several years running, all that hype will feel misplaced.

The Sabres are apparently on the way up, it would be good to create some synergy.  Like maybe a video of Blur's Song 2 during warmups and having the lyrics replaced the first time or two with Tuch screaming WOOOO! and then switching over to live camera of the crowd.  The WOOO would get the team up and rolling.  There's probably better stuff than that, but I like the idea of something that draws the crowd to the players on the team.

I like the Columbus cannon, it is intimidating and different.

My favourite anthem singer is the young girl from Toronto, she just belts them out as they are, not trying to make them her songs.

That is the only thing good about Leafs games.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm exhausted with people complaining. Start winning and the energy will take care of itself. Shabby arena or not.

It’s complaining that their personal preferences aren’t being catered to. There’s absolutely no thought that the rest of the arena may not share their personal preferences. Or that if one part of the arena is having fun and dancing and they are sitting down saying “this sucks “, there’s no realization that they may be the one that is the problem, not the other person. 

• Like (+1) 1

The element of surprise can be so compelling. Although it was planned and predictable, bringing Rick onto the ice was jaw dropping for me. Subban singing the anthem. I might never forget his big sigh and then the remarkable performance that meant so much to him.

Imagine that Perreault pops up some night in a big game for a live performance of The Wonder of You.

Keep it coming, Sabres.

"You won't believe what happens next."

(Still waiting for Sabretooth to rapel down and reveal himself as Rick or Taro to stand up a take a bow.)

• Like (+1) 1

Hopefully people will keep posting ideas for what they'd like to see as a modification for pregame stuff.  Willing to bring any and all ideas back to the Sabres when they're ready to speak of game "presentation" for lack of a better overriding term.

• Like (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

The element of surprise can be so compelling. Although it was planned and predictable, bringing Rick onto the ice was jaw dropping for me. Subban singing the anthem. I might never forget his big sigh and then the remarkable performance that meant so much to him.

Imagine that Perreault pops up some night in a big game for a live performance of The Wonder of You.

Keep it coming, Sabres.

"You won't believe what happens next."

(Still waiting for Sabretooth to rapel down and reveal himself as Rick or Taro to stand up a take a bow.)

Speaking of Gilbert, where was he all year? 

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I would like the anthem to be remixed into techno / death metal version and sung by Fran Drescher. 😉 That should get everyone pumped. 

Edited by Malazan
  • Haha (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hopefully people will keep posting ideas for what they'd like to see as a modification for pregame stuff.  Willing to bring any and all ideas back to the Sabres when they're ready to speak of game "presentation" for lack of a better overriding term.

Actually I think it would be funny/cool if the nameplate on Sabretooth's jersey was changed to "TARO SEZ" or "TSUJIMOTO" 😄

Or better yet, change it out every game for the name of a Sabre alum or some other Sabres-related thing.... like OOOH!  AAAAH!  or  NO GOAL!

Edited by Doohickie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

Agree. I'm in my late 40's and as I posted in the other thread, the thing to get me out to the games again would be a better presentation at the game and a nicer arena.  I'm good watching the games at home, give me a reason to show up at the game.  And that doesn't mean just turn up the volume on the PA system and bang out more and louder music.  Quality is more important than Quantity when it comes to off-ice entertainment.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.