What young player that we got rid of before Donnie Meatballs would you have liked to see how he developed under him?

matter2003

13 minutes ago, inkman said:

I’ve heard rumblings of this but do you have anything other than dismissive info?  

Inky ... we all know that @Buffalonill is the master of master baiters, but you don't have to make it easy for him.

Just kidding, of course, @Buffalonill ... we all love you you master baiter you ...

Actually, good ol' Grigorenko was born and grew up in the most remote part of Russia (very near China).  He was born at point zero in his life, but at that time he could pass for 30.  Pretty rough life for the kid.

33 minutes ago, Curt said:

Show me some evidence.  First I have ever heard of this one.

Toronto Star’s Damien Cox (@DamoSpin) recently brought this rumor to a whole new level tweeting the following.

Another, reason why Mikhail Grigorenko’s status is plummeting? “I think he’s 20, not 18,” said one Western Conference GM.’

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/trending-topics-aren-t-mikhail-grigorenko-rumors-odd-140408138--nhl.html

3 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

How many players are drafted each year?  250 +/-

How many actually play in the NHL?   23 x 32 = 736 +/-

Most do not ever play more than a handful of games in the NHL.

I don't think that the Sabres have drafted any worse than any other team in the NHL over an extended period (10+ year).  It's a crap shoot at best and if you get lucky you may get somewhere.

For some time they really did draft terribly.  In 05, 06, 07, 10, and 11 they got pretty much nothing.  From 2004 to 2013 they did not draft a single 1st line forward, top pair defenseman or starting goalie.

In 2014-2015 the drafts were not too impressive outside of Reinhart and Eichel.

In 2016-2017 the top-10 picks were Nylander and Mittelstadt.

The stretch from 2005-2011 stands out as truly abysmal.  That put the organization in a massive talent hole.  From 2005 onward, what really stands out is the complete lack of high end players.  There were guys who can fill out a bottom 6, 3rd defensive pair, or platoon goalie, but there just aren’t those real difference makers being drafted by the Sabres.

Luckily, from 2018 on the drafts are looking a little better.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Toronto Star’s Damien Cox (@DamoSpin) recently brought this rumor to a whole new level tweeting the following.

Another, reason why Mikhail Grigorenko’s status is plummeting? “I think he’s 20, not 18,” said one Western Conference GM.’

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/trending-topics-aren-t-mikhail-grigorenko-rumors-odd-140408138--nhl.html

I thought you were saying that he was 26 when drafted?

Um, in this story, it says that the rumors are not true and provides some evidence refuting them.  Stating that his KHL team had the Russian secret police look into the rumors and they didn’t find anything.

Do you know if this anonymous western conference GM or Damien Cox had any evidence at all to support this idea?

28 minutes ago, Curt said:

I thought you were saying that he was 26 when drafted?

Um, in this story, it says that the rumors are not true and provides some evidence refuting them.  Stating that his KHL team had the Russian secret police look into the rumors and they didn’t find anything.

Do you know if this anonymous western conference GM or Damien Cox had any evidence at all to support this idea?

You would have to keep on digging all the way back to his draft year  It's not a coincidence 

Let's all be real here it's pretty easy to get a fake birth certificate if you go to the MLB you'll find tons of them

2 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You would have to keep on digging all the way back to his draft year  It's not a coincidence 

Let's all be real here it's pretty easy to get a fake birth certificate if you go to the MLB you'll find tons of them

“You would have to keep on digging all the way back to his draft year”

What do you mean?  Digging for what?  What will I find by digging?

You are acting like you know this for sure and I’m just trying to ask why you are so sure?  So far you have shown me that one anonymous western conference GM supposedly said “I think he is 20, not 18”.

The whole thing is not impossible but I haven’t seen anything that’s at all convincing.

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

“You would have to keep on digging all the way back to his draft year”

What do you mean?  Digging for what?  What will I find by digging?

You are acting like you know this for sure and I’m just trying to ask why you are so sure?  So far you have shown me that one anonymous western conference GM supposedly said “I think he is 20, not 18”.

The whole thing is not impossible but I haven’t seen anything that’s at all convincing.

They were talking about this 4 years ago When Brian Burke Was on talking about Yakupov

He said a unknown player that was highly ranked had a fake birth certificate and lots of General managers became aware of it .

2 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

So, you link an article, in which states that the rumor isn't true, as your proof that's it true?

Whatever. And who gives a *****, anyway?

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the answer here is Zack Kassian.

A guy with a reputation he didn’t want because he desperately wanted to be something else. That’s a guy who needed to come into the league with a coach like DG to work through the things he wanted to be and not be pigeonholed into the things he didn’t.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.