Sabres have 40.3 million in cap space for next year, tops in the NHL. What to do with it?

matter2003

51 minutes ago, carpandean said:

We could trade for a Jack Eichel.  I'm sure Vegas would be interested.

Sorry, wrong thread ...

Shouldn't you be working on a chart of some sort?  😛

At least 1 new logo you've got to add at minimum. 😉

Welcome back.  🍺

• Haha (+1) 1

Shea Weber has 4 years left on a contract with a $7.9MM annual cap hit.  There is zero possibility that KA takes that on.

Which is too bad, because I have this fantasy of Weber, having missed this entire season, continuing to heal his broken body this summer and fall, staying in shape by chopping wood and wrestling grizzly bears outside his cabin in the woods in British Columbia, watching the Sabres, who got a couple of picks from the Habs to take on his contract, take the league by storm next fall, and getting more and more antsy until he can't take it any more. 

It snows like crazy over Christmas.  He skates a couple of days on the frozen pond in the back yard and now he can't sleep at night. 

He throws his skates and his toothbrush into a hockey bag, gets his cousin Doug to drive him to the airport and shows up on a Tuesday in January in KA's office.

BTW, he's a RHD.  And one of the best and toughest NHL players in the last 20 years.

• Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/3/2022 at 10:00 AM, LGR4GM said:

Either give a bunch of money to MAF or sign Ville Husso.

I can go for this.  

Plus -  I want to add a physical veteran RHD,  and a physical veteran forward - preferably get better at center.  

Watching the playoffs and there 3 levels of physicality that we need to climb.  One is to challenge for the playoffs and we are almost there.  The second is to get to the level to win in the playoffs and be a real contender, and then one more level to get our hands on Lord Stanley’s Cup.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

I have this fantasy of Weber, having missed this entire season, continuing to heal his broken body this summer and fall, staying in shape by chopping wood and wrestling grizzly bears outside his cabin in the woods in British Columbia, watching the Sabres, who got a couple of picks from the Habs to take on his contract, take the league by storm next fall, and getting more and more antsy until he can't take it any more. 

It snows like crazy over Christmas.  He skates a couple of days on the frozen pond in the back yard and now he can't sleep at night. 

He throws his skates and his toothbrush into a hockey bag, gets his cousin Doug to drive him to the airport and shows up on a Tuesday in January in KA's office.

BTW, he's a RHD.  And one of the best and toughest NHL players in the last 20 years.

@PASabreFanesque

14 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Shea Weber has 4 years left on a contract with a $7.9MM annual cap hit.  There is zero possibility that KA takes that on.

Which is too bad, because I have this fantasy of Weber, having missed this entire season, continuing to heal his broken body this summer and fall, staying in shape by chopping wood and wrestling grizzly bears outside his cabin in the woods in British Columbia, watching the Sabres, who got a couple of picks from the Habs to take on his contract, take the league by storm next fall, and getting more and more antsy until he can't take it any more. 

17 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

👍🏻

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Sign Olofsson, sign Bryson, sign or trade for a bottom 6 C, sign or trade for a RD who can play PK, sign or trade for a starting goalie.  That’s it.

They may not even do that.  I am an advocate of acquiring a real 2 way center, but realize that puts either Z or Asplund in the pressbox if JJP makes the team.  Putting one of our best defensive players in the pressbox probably won't fly with DG and if Z is the odd man out, that also takes one of the team leaders off the ice.  I doubt DG and KA want to do that at this point.  If they re-sign Vinnie, I would doubt they add another outside forward for the Sabres at least.

The defense is another matter.  I expect at least 2 new D.  A partner for Power and one other veteran D who KA considers an upgrade on Pysyk.  I think they love their top 3 in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson and believe in the development of Joki and Bryson.  If I remember correctly, DG mentioned Joki like 4 times in his press conference.  Fitz is the second coming of Rory Fitzpatrick.  That leaves 1-2 openings for outside players. 

47 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

They may not even do that.  I am an advocate of acquiring a real 2 way center, but realize that puts either Z or Asplund in the pressbox if JJP makes the team.  Putting one of our best defensive players in the pressbox probably won't fly with DG and if Z is the odd man out, that also takes one of the team leaders off the ice.  I doubt DG and KA want to do that at this point.  If they re-sign Vinnie, I would doubt they add another outside forward for the Sabres at least.

The defense is another matter.  I expect at least 2 new D.  A partner for Power and one other veteran D who KA considers an upgrade on Pysyk.  I think they love their top 3 in Dahlin, Power and Samuelsson and believe in the development of Joki and Bryson.  If I remember correctly, DG mentioned Joki like 4 times in his press conference.  Fitz is the second coming of Rory Fitzpatrick.  That leaves 1-2 openings for outside players. 

Yeah, they might not do all of that.

The forwards are already a bit crowded, but an Eakin replacement/upgrade is a glaring void.  I don’t know if they plan on bringing Vinnie back, and I don’t know if Peterka is going to start the season in the NHL.  I understand not wanting to force someone to the press box, but it’s also true that it’s fair for all 12 forwards to be healthy.

I kind of doubt that they bring in 2 D for the top 6. I think that Dahlin, Samuelsson, Power, Jokiharju, and Bryson will play.  I think they will get the best guy they can for the right side then maybe  find a low level veteran character guy to compete with Bryson and Fitzgerald and fill the 6/7/8 spots.

Sign a vet gritty forward that can pot 15-20 a year and can crush the stupid and help the kids grow some more kahunas. Other then that, i would sign/extend Victor and Don't touch any high end F/A. JJ and Quinn up, add some young talent to Ra cha cha and i am happy..... ohhhhhhhhhh GET A DAMN MINDER!!!!!!! That is all....

• Like (+1) 2

12 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't see much added to the roster this offseason. You and everyone else have called for a need for an upgrade in net.  What happens if Anderson decides to play one more year? Does the GM accept him as a #1 goalie and UPL as the backup? That would be a horrible mistake not because Anderson can't play but because he lacks the durability that one can rely on. How about the durability issue with UPL? The GM needs to spend a large amount of money just to get to the cap floor. My recommendation would be to spend it on a goalie or two. My fear isn't that the GM seems invested in UPL as one of his goalies as it is his willingness to risk playing him as the primary goalie. That's a gamble that chills me. 

I separate myself from the crowd here regarding Joki. I'm very comfortable with him paired with Power as a second pair member. It's probable that another defenseman is added to the mix but I'm not sure it is going to be a second pairing caliber of player. Most likely it will be a defensive defenseman who will be a third pairing and a depth player. 

The Sabres need to spend a lot of money to just get to the cap floor. How are they going to do it? Don't be surprised if they again take on a contract or two for the sake of a credit as it did last year. 

On 5/3/2022 at 10:34 AM, matter2003 said:

Hoping we get a goalie and one or two additional pieces to help accelerate the rebuild. Gotta be the right fit, we don't need anymore random FA signings that end up playing the worst hockey of their careers here 

What are you hoping for in FA with the cap space available?

A goalie, 2 RHD is aust imo, I just don't see too many goalies lining up to want to play here. Maybe if we crazily overpay 1. That will be the theme this off-season. Plus we need upgrades to Vinny Hinostroza, maybe Olofsson if he isn't re-signed. Drafting well is going to be extremely important also. I'd like to get bigger and tougher to play against.

2 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

A goalie, 2 RHD is aust imo, I just don't see too many goalies lining up to want to play here. Maybe if we crazily overpay 1. That will be the theme this off-season. Plus we need upgrades to Vinny Hinostroza, maybe Olofsson if he isn't re-signed. Drafting well is going to be extremely important also. I'd like to get bigger and tougher to play against.

A 3/4 pair RHD or 2 RHDs? I don't see a need for 2 RHDs with Dahlin playing top RHD and Jokiharju being a very capable 5/6 Dman if needed.

4 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why wouldn't we re- sign olofsson?

6 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Why wouldn't they? This is a young, up and coming team. 

Adams said they won't do anything that will create a roadblock for the younger goalies they expect to have in the system like UPL, Levi and Portillo...perhaps they are afraid they are merely a place holder until one of hem gets here?

9 hours ago, matter2003 said:

Why wouldn't they? This is a young, up and coming team. 

Adams said they won't do anything that will create a roadblock for the younger goalies they expect to have in the system like UPL, Levi and Portillo...perhaps they are afraid they are merely a place holder until one of hem gets here?

I like as much as anyone that we had a couple of months of solid hockey but I don't think it makes up for the decade plus of being mediocre do you? You think a Keumpfer or somebody like that coming from a top notch playoff team wants to come to a team that hasnt made the playoffs in the most consecutive years ?

Also Levi and Portillo might not even sign here. I also said we may not re-sign Olofsson as in he may not want to re-sign or he might be asking for more than what we think he is worth etc. , Odds are he'll re-sign but I was just saying things can turn sour fast.

Im not trying to be a debbie downer but I'm trying to be realistic. We have to spend 22M to reach the cap floor so I'd really like to spend it wisely, if Dahlin is going to transition to RHD we still need a solid RHD to take the vacancy of Colin Miller. Hopefully and upgrade over Hinostroza at Wing and a goalie, even if Portillo and Levi sign next season they'll be headed to the Amerks, I doubt they bypass the AHL and go straight to NHL so that's at least 2 years before they arrive.

7 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I like as much as anyone that we had a couple of months of solid hockey but I don't think it makes up for the decade plus of being mediocre do you? You think a Keumpfer or somebody like that coming from a top notch playoff team wants to come to a team that hasnt made the playoffs in the most consecutive years ?

Also Levi and Portillo might not even sign here. I also said we may not re-sign Olofsson as in he may not want to re-sign or he might be asking for more than what we think he is worth etc. , Odds are he'll re-sign but I was just saying things can turn sour fast.

Im not trying to be a debbie downer but I'm trying to be realistic. We have to spend 22M to reach the cap floor so I'd really like to spend it wisely, if Dahlin is going to transition to RHD we still need a solid RHD to take the vacancy of Colin Miller. Hopefully and upgrade over Hinostroza at Wing and a goalie, even if Portillo and Levi sign next season they'll be headed to the Amerks, I doubt they bypass the AHL and go straight to NHL so that's at least 2 years before they arrive.

Actually in this case yes I do in regards to what they are building. Depends on the players makeup. Many athletes like challenges, and this is a great spot to come in and make a big difference to the success of the franchise. There is excitement in the air about what's going on and I am pretty sure it's not just among the players in the room...other players around the league are starting to take notice. 

It was clear the catalyst for this was the return of players from injury and the additions of Tuch and Krebs. There is no reason to think with a few more pieces added to the mix, better goaltending, more growth for the young players and some more time in Granato's system that they won't continue to get better.

They played at a 102 point pace since March 1st. I honestly think that over the course of an entire year that probably is a little too high right now but I think they are capable of 90-94 points next year. Probably will just miss the playoffs but will be in it til the end of the season.

So why wouldn't a player want to come to a team that is potentially getting ready to go on a run with a bunch of young talented guys?

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Actually in this case yes I do in regards to what they are building. Depends on the players makeup. Many athletes like challenges, and this is a great spot to come in and make a big difference to the success of the franchise. There is excitement in the air about what's going on and I am pretty sure it's not just among the players in the room...other players around the league are starting to take notice. 

It was clear the catalyst for this was the return of players from injury and the additions of Tuch and Krebs. There is no reason to think with a few more pieces added to the mix, better goaltending, more growth for the young players and some more time in Granato's system that they won't continue to get better.

They played at a 102 point pace since March 1st. I honestly think that over the course of an entire year that probably is a little too high right now but I think they are capable of 90-94 points next year. Probably will just miss the playoffs but will be in it til the end of the season.

So why wouldn't a player want to come to a team that is potentially getting ready to go on a run with a bunch of young talented guys?

Those are all fair points and questions.

I still feel that even though we had a good run there we're going to have a very difficult time getting a top notch goalie here. I hope I'm wrong and that you're right about opposing teams are seeing a culture shift here.

Another problem I have assessing this Sabres team is Granato basically gave players the freedom to do what they wanted knowing this season is over (It was said in many interviews after games). I want to see how this team plays when there is something on the line, it was great to see them change the culture towards the end now I want to see a run at the playoffs.

I didn't have the Sabres making the playoffs this season but I think with a few additions that I mentioned it's quite possible and it really will depend on our goalie situation.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sweetlou said:

UFA goalie options-  MAF, Holtby, DeSmith, Husso, and Comrie all fit the two year option that KA is looking for.

Still need a bigger winger/ center and big stay at home defenseman.

Comrie is intriguing.  He is younger and less experienced, so perhaps a higher risk as you may not know for certain what you are getting.  The flip-side is that uncertainty means he might be your long-term answer.

I like that we have 3 good young goalie prospects whose rights currently belong to us; but none of the 3 have done anything in my view to warrant the organization taking a position of not wanting to "box them out".  I don't disagree with Adams' philosophy of keeping a lane open for the kids, particularly as it applies to Cozens, Krebs, Quinn, Peterka, Power and Samuelsson.  But none of our goaltending prospects are in a position where we can say with confidence that they are going to be a good NHL goalie, for the Sabres, in the near future. 

I'm not advocating anything rash like a trade for Gibson or Binnington, but I also don't see that we currently have any goalies to box-out.  We have a kid in Rochester who has struggled to be consistent at that AHL level and to stay healthy and two college prospects who have yet to commit. Our goaltending prospects are good and I'm glad we have them and I'm not about to panic because Luukkonen has yet to take the next step or because Portillo and Levi have not signed.  We have no goalie prospects that we can be sure to count on at the NHL level anytime soon though.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.