Sabres have 40.3 million in cap space for next year, tops in the NHL. What to do with it?

matter2003

That sounds about right.  Goalie and RHD.  Extend Tage.

Goaltending is a major problem.  UPL seems to be perpetually injured and even if healthy, he's unproven.  Portillo and Levi are excellent prospects, but have not signed yet, may never sign, and even if they do sign next year, it's not likely either one will be NHL-ready.  Subban sings well, but isn't a very good goalie.  Anderson has flashes and is a great "organization" guy, but he'll be 41 years old and will likely have injury issues, as he did this past season.  Tokarski and Houser have played well at times, but are not quality NHL starters.  Thus, goaltending has to be the #1 priority and the place to spend the cap money.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Bingo. Here's a 2023 4th to take this guy off our team this year

Go Higher, Florida’s 2023 1st from Montreal for Shea Weber’s Deal. 4 years at 7.8 Million, but only 6 Million in actual Cash remaining. 

He can be moved to LTIR when they become a cap team in three to four seasons. 

3 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Go Higher, Florida’s 2023 1st from Montreal for Shea Weber’s Deal. 4 years at 7.8 Million, but only 6 Million in actual Cash remaining. 

Is that 1st unprotected?

14 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I don't see why Montreal gives up a first to move this contract unless I've missed something.

25 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

22 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Is that 1st unprotected?

Agree with the general notion of weaponizing our cap space for the next two years.  What is surprising to me is that I did not realize how much Montreal is spending.  I know it's only been a year since their cup run, but I've been distracted by other team's caps like Vegas.  Montreal has some big salaries that are tied up for several more years, including Price, Petry, etc. (in addition to Weber).

21 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We really don’t have the roster space to take on to many cap dumps.  KA also won’t bring in someone that doesn’t fit in the lockerroom.  Subtle will be the watch word. 

Weber never has to set foot in Buffalo. 

57 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Cap dumps for assets is a possibility as well

I personally don't want any of that any more. Time to turn the corner and stop future building and start winning now. I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed near cap floor but I'd rather overpay a goalie and a defenseman to get there rather than taking on some dead weight/contract for another extra draft pick or something. 

• Like (+1) 7

20 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Weber never has to set foot in Buffalo. 

What a waste, when you can accomplish the goals without resorting to that kind of move, still improve the team and not block a single kid.  You give VO 4 years @ 5.5, re-sign Vinnie for a year at 2.5, sign DeSmith 3 years at 3.5, sign Jan Rutta for 2 years at 2.25 and then find a solid depth veteran LHD like Marc Staal for 2 mill.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We really don’t have the roster space to take on to many cap dumps.  KA also won’t bring in someone that doesn’t fit in the lockerroom.  Subtle will be the watch word. 

55 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I personally don't want any of that any more. Time to turn the corner and stop future building and start winning now. I wouldn't be surprised if we stayed near cap floor but I'd rather overpay a goalie and a defenseman to get there rather than taking on some dead weight/contract for another extra draft pick or something. 

46 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What a waste, when you can accomplish the goals without resorting to that kind of move, still improve the team and not block a single kid.  You give VO 4 years @ 5.5, re-sign Vinnie for a year at 2.5, sign DeSmith 3 years at 3.5, sign Jan Rutta for 2 years at 2.25 and then find a solid depth veteran LHD like Marc Staal for 2 mill.

Cap Dumps come in many shapes and sizes. 

Toronto Traded Patrick Marleau, a 1st and a 7th to Carolina for a 6th for Carolina to buyout His Contract. 
Mrazek would be a candidate for the same scenario this Summer

Others could be buried in Rochester

There is a significant chance that Toews and Kane do not want to be part of a rebuild in Chicago and are moved this Summer, the Sabres could be a broker and retain 50% of their salary at a cost of 2.5-5 Million on the Cap. 

GA, as You Know, the Sabres have the room to take the Weber Deal and sign all those guys, the question is will they. 

Adams mentioned not sacrificing the long term future and adding to the prospect pool, taking cap dumps in exchange for draft picks  helps the latter. 

Besides Weber is probably going to the Desert 

• Like (+1) 2

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Completely agree.  The type of cap dump Buffalo should take advantage of is something like Kane's or Toew's $10.5M salary next year or give Giroux 10x2 to come in and help our forwards develop.  The Sabres have a ton of cap flexibility the next two years but after that we need to start handing out significant new deals to several projected core players (Krebs, Cozens, Casey, Tage, Samuelson, Powers, Dahlin (again), goalie 1A or 1B, etc).  

I don't know if this is a great idea, but we could bring in players who are still solid but maybe a bit overpaid.  I am thinking of someone like J.T. Compher, except that they would be defencemen and goalkeepers.  Is this a good idea?  If so, who qualifies?

• Like (+1) 2

This could go in a few threads, but this one seems to be the most recent.

Lance Lysowski in today's News:

"The Sabres are expected to add a veteran goalie to work in tandem with Luukkonen. They’ll likely have to target an overlooked option in free agency – like they did with Anderson last summer – or acquire someone via trade.

Adams isn’t looking to land a franchise goalie. He simply needs a bridge option and expressed excitement for what’s ahead, including Levi’s potential arrival next spring. The Sabres hold Levi’s NHL rights until the summer of 2024."

According to Lysowski's piece, Adams is very high on Levi for the future.

I'm not sure what Lysowski means by "overlooked."  There's no reason why the Sabres can't target Fleury.

• Thanks (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I don't know if this is a great idea, but we could bring in players who are still solid but maybe a bit overpaid.  I am thinking of someone like J.T. Compher, except that they would be defencemen and goalkeepers.  Is this a good idea?  If so, who qualifies?

I also don't know who that would be, but there should be guys out there like that.

Good players, good guys.  But guys who signed a deal that was a bit overpriced a couple years ago, and still have 2-3 years left on it at a high cap number with a current team that is closer to the cap than the Sabres.

A bonus for ownership would be that the remaining salary the Sabres might owe would be less than the cap figure due to any signing bonuses already paid.

Maybe someone playing in the World Championships with team USA that will get a chance to work with Granato when he is over there?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Eleven said:

This could go in a few threads, but this one seems to be the most recent.

Lance Lysowski in today's News:

"The Sabres are expected to add a veteran goalie to work in tandem with Luukkonen. They’ll likely have to target an overlooked option in free agency – like they did with Anderson last summer – or acquire someone via trade.

Adams isn’t looking to land a franchise goalie. He simply needs a bridge option and expressed excitement for what’s ahead, including Levi’s potential arrival next spring. The Sabres hold Levi’s NHL rights until the summer of 2024."

According to Lysowski's piece, Adams is very high on Levi for the future.

I'm not sure what Lysowski means by "overlooked."  There's no reason why the Sabres can't target Fleury.

Overlooked maybe someone like Eric Comrie who at 26 finally made the show and played well for WPG in his 19 games or someone like Casey DeSmith who at 30 is the perfect bridge age and may relish an opportunity to be the starter.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.