Sabres have 40.3 million in cap space for next year, tops in the NHL. What to do with it?

matter2003

Hoping we get a goalie and one or two additional pieces to help accelerate the rebuild. Gotta be the right fit, we don't need anymore random FA signings that end up playing the worst hockey of their careers here 

What are you hoping for in FA with the cap space available?

Luckily I trust GMKA to be very selective and careful. We do not need any more over priced and under-working FA's. Truth is, we are pretty well set on defense, and up front with Quinn and maybe JJ coming too I think we could use a good vet center for face-offs. Otherwise, sit back, be patient and take good players off of other teams that are in cap hell (see Vegas for starters)...

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, sabrefanday1 said:

Luckily I trust GMKA to be very selective and careful. We do not need any more over priced and under-working FA's. Truth is, we are pretty well set on defense, and up front with Quinn and maybe JJ coming too I think we could use a good vet center for face-offs. Otherwise, sit back, be patient and take good players off of other teams that are in cap hell (see Vegas for starters)...

I keep reading this, or a similar version of this, and while I understand the excitement, you can’t go into next year expecting people like Mitts, Cousins and JJ to make a seamless step to their next progression. You have to be aggressive and look for the right piece or two to add. If Casey has a Tage like breakthrough, tremendous but they have the flexibility and the means, and I believe the desire, to add a significant piece at forward as well as a RHD to pair with Power and a legitimate number one goaltender

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, tom webster said:

I keep reading this, or a similar version of this, and while I understand the excitement, you can’t go into next year expecting people like Mitts, Cousins and JJ to make a seamless step to their next progression. You have to be aggressive and look for the right piece or two to add. If Casey has a Tage like breakthrough, tremendous but they have the flexibility and the means, and I believe the desire, to add a significant piece at forward as well as a RHD to pair with Power and a legitimate number one goaltender

You can never add too many high quality defenseman, IMO 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sign Rasmus and Tage to team friendly long-term deals of 6 years at about $7M to $7.5M per.

Of course, that would not impact the cap this offseason, so I really don't know.  Maybe sign 40 JAGs at the league minimum ...

Carry on ...

Literally can't sign Rasmus Dahlin this summer. 

• Like (+1) 1

If ever there was an opportunity to poach an RFA from a team, this is it.

This is also why I expect one of our favored young players to be traded.  We have a rare opportunity to use a combination of weaponized cap space and plethora of under 23 players/prospects to land a really big ***** fish.

• Like (+1) 4

33 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Sign Rasmus and Tage to team friendly long-term deals of 6 years at about $7M to $7.5M per.

Of course, that would not impact the cap this offseason, so I really don't know.  Maybe sign 40 JAGs at the league minimum ...

Carry on ...

has anyone ever suggested we sign a player to a non team friendly deal?

• Haha (+1) 4

51 minutes ago, tom webster said:

Mitts was already making that kind of jump last year and before injury this year. Cozens I'm not seeing yet but others have and urge patience.

15 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Don't expect much of the that money to be spent.  Expect about 15 mill to get to the cap floor.  5 mill to VO and then 10 mill on upgrading the goaltending and a RHD or two.  

you just spent $30M of the $40M....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.