NHL Playoffs 2022 - Rnd 1

SwampD

Toronto is in a tough position.

Once 'cooler' heads prevail, it would seem you would want to run the same core back out there next year, and their cap situation, while not DIRE, dictates you may not have many options because they won't have much flexibility. No major contracts come off the books next year....but if you want to keep Campbell in goal he will require a big pay increase. There really isn't any room to improve the team by spending more money, but the point is you are good enough (and the core is young enough) where you don't need to. The old Billy Beane philosophy of team building....make a team good enough to get to the playoffs and when you do just hope for the best.

The tough part is....you aren't getting any BETTER,  and is basically 'the same' good enough? You might be as good as or slightly better than Tampa next year again, but they will be a tough out in the playoffs.  And, with 'the same' team I see Toronto has having a tough time getting by what Carolina will be next year, and it would be an upset for them to get by Florida.  Then if you do all that, if you make it to the cup finals are you better than a team like Colorado in a 7 game season?

I don't know. Again, logic says it will be very hard to make major changes so go with what you have, but I just look at the Leafs and see too many areas that may not be weaknesses, but at least 'non strengths', that they seem to be built a bit flawed to defeat multiple other top teams in 7 game series.

I'd love to have another year by Campbell in net like he had this year (or someone else to do the same) and I think in a playoff series they need one or 2 D-men who are young, great skaters who can control the game...and I would gladly trade one of their forwards to get that guy on the back end.   I just don't see a team that has an 'under 30, all star level D-man' trading them to the leafs for someone like Nylander, and the Leafs have no cap room to sign or offer sheet one to get them over the top.

Edited by mjd1001

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Toronto is in a tough position.

Once 'cooler' heads prevail, it would seem you would want to run the same core back out there next year, and their cap situation, while not DIRE, dictates you may not have many options because they won't have much flexibility. No major contracts come off the books next year....but if you want to keep Campbell in goal he will require a big pay increase. There really isn't any room to improve the team by spending more money, but the point is you are good enough (and the core is young enough) where you don't need to. The old Billy Beane philosophy of team building....make a team good enough to get to the playoffs and when you do just hope for the best.

The tough part is....you aren't getting any BETTER,  and is basically 'the same' good enough? You might be as good as or slightly better than Tampa next year again, but they will be a tough out in the playoffs.  And, with 'the same' team I see Toronto has having a tough time getting by what Carolina will be next year, and it would be an upset for them to get by Florida.  Then if you do all that, if you make it to the cup finals are you better than a team like Colorado in a 7 game season?

I don't know. Again, logic says it will be very hard to make major changes so go with what you have, but I just look at the Leafs and see too many areas that may not be weaknesses, but at least 'non strengths', that they seem to be built a bit flawed to defeat multiple other top teams in 7 game series.

I'd love to have another year by Campbell in net like he had this year (or someone else to do the same) and I think in a playoff series they need one or 2 D-men who are young, great skaters who can control the game...and I would gladly trade one of their forwards to get that guy on the back end.   I just don't see a team that has an 'under 30, all star level D-man' trading them to the leafs for someone like Nylander, and the Leafs have no cap room to sign or offer sheet one to get them over the top.

Leafs will also lose a couple of their low key difference makers in Mikheyev and Engvall and probably have to move Kerfoot.

They have no young goalie to come up so I don’t know what they do. They have something like $2.5 million to sign 8 guys.

One of the most alarming stats I have seen with this Leafs team is:

Record in  games where they can close out a series: 0-9  There is a massive mental issue with that group.

Edited by Flashsabre

10 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

Geez, Ullmark turned out to be pretty worthless...and we more years at $5,000,000 per year.

Yes I agree.  He was given the opportunity to take the #1 spot and failed to meet the challenge.

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Don’t watch this video. I know you are not going to want to watch this video.😀

This was just freaking hilarious! He sure does know how to mix together Sam Kinison with Jermaine “Funnymaine” Johnson.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Leafs will also lose a couple of their low key difference makers in Mikheyev and Engvall and probably have to move Kerfoot.

They have no young goalie to come up so I don’t know what they do. They have something like $2.5 million to sign 8 guys.

One of the most alarming stats I have seen with this Leafs team is:

Record in  games where they can close out a series: 0-9  There is a massive mental issue with that group.

Many/most of us root against the Leafs, but I do find it interesting as a fan of Hockey to look at their situation and think about what could be done to make things better.

So much so that when working outside today I was listening to Toronto Sports talk.

-Many fans calling in want major changes. Some of it really extreme, like tearing things down and rebuilding from scratch, but that I assume is just emotion talking.

-Lots of fans calling in asking for more 'toughness'.  Tom wilson guys...guys that will play borderline dirty and make other players not want to come over the middle.

-Biggest thing fans (and radio hosts) were advocating was to change coaches. Seems to be an early cry for them to hire Trotz.

-LOTS of complaining about officials, how they are against Toronto. At one point even the hosts said "they didn't lose because of the officials" but then they went on for 10 minutes about how the calls were bad against the leafs and some of those calls may have changed the flow of the game against them and caused them to lose.

At one point, they got onto a topic I mostly agree with. They said you need a good team to win, but if you look at most teams that win the cup or at least go deep in the playoffs, they usually have a D-man or 2 that are franchise D-men or very close to it, and they have franchise Goalies or at least a goalie that has the ability to get really really hot and carry them under pressure. Toronto doesn't have either of those and its not clear how they can get one.

The more i think about it, the fans may be against it, but I think one of the 'big 4' might have to be traded.  Tavares is probably not moveable because of his age and contract.  Matthews is the one guy you don't want to move for anything.  That leaves Marner and Nylander. IF Toronto could trade one of them and get a stud D-man who can control the game from the backend, it might be worth it.  No one wants to trade a young D-man like that, But if Toronto floated Marner (preferable) or Nylander, a future #1 pick (although it would likely be a later round pick) and a top Minor league prospect, MAYBE they could get someone to give up a Young D-man.

Toronto is in Win-Now mode.  Tavares is showing some slight signs of slowing down due to age, Matthews only has 2 more years left on his deal before he is unrestricted. Maybe you forget about the future and say we have to win in the next 2 years...so you offer up to anyone Nylander, your next 2 first round picks, a 2nd rounder, any prospect they want, and maybe take back a long term injury contract and see what is the Best D-man you can get for that package. 

From the Sabres point of view..if Toronto offered you Marner and their next 1st rounder for Dahlin would you do it?  It would free up cap room for Toronto to get a goalie also.

Edited by mjd1001

31 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Many/most of us root against the Leafs, but I do find it interesting as a fan of Hockey to look at their situation and think about what could be done to make things better.

So much so that when working outside today I was listening to Toronto Sports talk.

-Many fans calling in want major changes. Some of it really extreme, like tearing things down and rebuilding from scratch, but that I assume is just emotion talking.

-Lots of fans calling in asking for more 'toughness'.  Tom wilson guys...guys that will play borderline dirty and make other players not want to come over the middle.

-Biggest thing fans (and radio hosts) were advocating was to change coaches. Seems to be an early cry for them to hire Trotz.

-LOTS of complaining about officials, how they are against Toronto. At one point even the hosts said "they didn't lose because of the officials" but then they went on for 10 minutes about how the calls were bad against the leafs and some of those calls may have changed the flow of the game against them and caused them to lose.

At one point, they got onto a topic I mostly agree with. They said you need a good team to win, but if you look at most teams that win the cup or at least go deep in the playoffs, they usually have a D-man or 2 that are franchise D-men or very close to it, and they have franchise Goalies or at least a goalie that has the ability to get really really hot and carry them under pressure. Toronto doesn't have either of those and its not clear how they can get one.

The more i think about it, the fans may be against it, but I think one of the 'big 4' might have to be traded.  Tavares is probably not moveable because of his age and contract.  Matthews is the one guy you don't want to move for anything.  That leaves Marner and Nylander. IF Toronto could trade one of them and get a stud D-man who can control the game from the backend, it might be worth it.  No one wants to trade a young D-man like that, But if Toronto floated Marner (preferable) or Nylander, a future #1 pick (although it would likely be a later round pick) and a top Minor league prospect, MAYBE they could get someone to give up a Young D-man.

Toronto is in Win-Now mode.  Tavares is showing some slight signs of slowing down due to age, Matthews only has 2 more years left on his deal before he is unrestricted. Maybe you forget about the future and say we have to win in the next 2 years...so you offer up to anyone Nylander, your next 2 first round picks, a 2nd rounder, any prospect they want, and maybe take back a long term injury contract and see what is the Best D-man you can get for that package. 

From the Sabres point of view..if Toronto offered you Marner and their next 1st rounder for Dahlin would you do it?  It would free up cap room for Toronto to get a goalie also.

Absolutely no to Marner and a 1st for Dahlin.

The Leafs died the day they signed Tavares. They had Matthews, Marner and Nylander all coming up for new contracts and those deals crippled the franchise.  

Dubas did a masterful job this season putting a team together with such limited cap space but in the end the result was the same.

0-9 in games to put a series away. That is a mental weakness in your core.

They have like $2 million to sign 8 players. 

Nylander has been their best forward the last two playoffs but he will have to go. No one is touching Tavares with a ten foot pole, they are not trading Matthews and Marner is BFFs with Matthews and the Toronto kid.

But moving Nylander won’t be about bringing a top end dman back. It will be about futures to open up some cap space they are desperate for to ice a team. I don’t Know what they do in net. Pray that Kallgren becomes a saviour. They can’t resign Campbell unless he wants $750,000 a year.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

No way I trade Dahlin for either Marner or Nylander, regardless how many picks they throw in.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Kristian said:

No way I trade Dahlin for either Marner or Nylander, regardless how many picks they throw in.

I probably agree with you on not making a deal like that, but Marner is very productive. Almost 100 points this year in 72 games (would have had 100+ without missing those games). Only 25 years old. his last full season before this one had 90+ points. 9th in the entire league in points per game over the last 4 seasons. Again, I wouldn't trade Dahlin for Marner and a 1st myself, but the guy is not just good, he is bordering on elite point production.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2

I read somewhere earlier today that the difference between TB and Tor is that TB players have adopted roles and stick to them.  Tor has the skill but noone is picking up roles beyond being skill guys.

Coach and culture is what it sounds like to me.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.