2022 UFAs, Who do Sabres have a chance at

North Buffalo

Because of the way the team finished we really don't know how much that finish and the noticeable change in culture improved free agent players' opinion of the club and increased their willingness to come to play here. 

We also know that KA must spend some money to get to the cap floor.   There also aren't many roster spots.  13 (12 if we dump Bjork) forward jobs are accounted for by re-signing VO and bringing up Quinn and JJP.  6 D jobs are accounted for once RFA Bryson is re-signed.  UPL, once re-signed, gets one of the two goalie slots.  That's 20 jobs.  About 52.5 mill is accounted for with those 20 players.  10 mill to spend to get to the floor.  

I expect spending on two fronts, a RHD and a goaltender.  If Ka can get to the cap floor that way, those maybe the only moves he makes.

The bad news is there isn't a deep roster of FA RHD to sign.  Do we really want 35 your old guys like Stalman or Braun or defensively challenged players like Subban?  Are guys like Manson or Rutta an upgrade over Pysyk?

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

MAF's career earnings are about $80MM.

2 years x $10MM per year would increase his career total by 25%.  And he'd get to join a situation with some parallels to the expansion Vegas team he joined -- team spirit, passionate fan base looking for a reason to jump back in -- plus some familiar faces from Vegas and some promising young talent.

Is there a cup contender that could afford to pay him even $5MM per year?

10 hours ago, JohnC said:

From what I have read about his mind-set at this stage of his career I don't think he would make a two year commitment with any team because of family considerations. He's at the stage of his illustrious career where he is in position to consider presented offers without having to pursue offers. It's really hard to say what he will decide. I wouldn't be surprised if he decides to hang the skates up. He's in a similar situation that Anderson is in with mulling over whether to go one more year or settle down due to family reasons. 

I look at your Buffalo proposal for Fleury and it makes me even more entrenched in my opinion that KA made a mistake in not signing Ullmark.  

Fleury has already publicly stated that he will be playing at least one more season.

https://sports.yahoo.com/marc-andre-fleury-says-he-plans-on-returning-for-at-least-one-more-season-202840054.html

• Thanks (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Doohickie said:

2 x $10 million for MAF.  From what I'm hearing he's a younger, better Craig Anderson (not just a solid goalie but a solid team guy).

Well that much money might get it done, but do we want to go full mercenary? idk. If his heart's not in it and he's just here for the cash might backfire. Don't see the Pegulas dumping a boatload on anyone. 

• Like (+1) 2

23 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well that much money might get it done, but do we want to go full mercenary? idk. If his heart's not in it and he's just here for the cash might backfire. Don't see the Pegulas dumping a boatload on anyone. 

I wouldn't exactly see him a mercenary as he'd have a 2 year deal and is considered one of the best locker room guys in the league. 

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I wouldn't exactly see him a mercenary as he'd have a 2 year deal and is considered one of the best locker room guys in the league. 

idk, I think if you grossly overpay anyone he becomes a mercenary. 

I just don't see it happening. Happy to eat my own words if it does, but I'm not giving it any thought as a possibility.

12 hours ago, nfreeman said:

MAF's career earnings are about $80MM.

2 years x $10MM per year would increase his career total by 25%.  And he'd get to join a situation with some parallels to the expansion Vegas team he joined -- team spirit, passionate fan base looking for a reason to jump back in -- plus some familiar faces from Vegas and some promising young talent.

Is there a cup contender that could afford to pay him even $5MM per year?

There are enough Sabres connections to MAF. It's not unreasonable to think he could sign here. MAF/UPL in '22/'23.

13 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Because of the way the team finished we really don't know how much that finish and the noticeable change in culture improved free agent players' opinion of the club and increased their willingness to come to play here. 

We also know that KA must spend some money to get to the cap floor.   There also aren't many roster spots.  13 (12 if we dump Bjork) forward jobs are accounted for by re-signing VO and bringing up Quinn and JJP.  6 D jobs are accounted for once RFA Bryson is re-signed.  UPL, once re-signed, gets one of the two goalie slots.  That's 20 jobs.  About 52.5 mill is accounted for with those 20 players.  10 mill to spend to get to the floor.  

I expect spending on two fronts, a RHD and a goaltender.  If Ka can get to the cap floor that way, those maybe the only moves he makes.

The bad news is there isn't a deep roster of FA RHD to sign.  Do we really want 35 your old guys like Stalman or Braun or defensively challenged players like Subban?  Are guys like Manson or Rutta an upgrade over Pysyk?

I suspect a RHD will come via trade.  Maybe use one of the first round picks to acquire said player. 

17 minutes ago, inkman said:

I suspect a RHD will come via trade.  Maybe use one of the first round picks to acquire said player. 

They have a lot of picks, & they have more prospects than they have room for.  If they take on a ST salary dump to go along w/ it, they should be able to find a guy that's better than Pysyk to fit into the top 6.  Can probably even get a guy better than Jokiharju that way.

Then the top 4 are set & Jokiharju plays w/ Bryson for a year or 2 until Johnson (hopefully he signs) is ready to pair w/ Joker.

The spares ST are Fitzgerald & Pysyk.  Longer term they become Bryson & probably somebody not in the org at present or maybe Laaksonen.  (Hopefully not Laaksonen, just not sold on him as an NHLer.)

And if they luck out & land Jiricek, then when that 2RD is ready to move on, Jiricek slides into that spot & they're set until they have to try to pay everybody full rate deals.  At which point, guys go out via trade and younger, cheaper replacements fill those bottom minutes.

They should inquire with Chicago about Jonathan Toews. He has 1 year left at $10.5 million, which would give Chicago cap relief, get the Sabres closer to the cap minimum, and provide a good face off man and experience who could take Eakins place.

6 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

They should inquire with Chicago about Jonathan Toews. He has 1 year left at $10.5 million, which would give Chicago cap relief, get the Sabres closer to the cap minimum, and provide a good face off man and experience who could take Eakins place.

I will give them a 7th round pick in 2024 for Toews. 

• 1 month later...
4 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Trade for Erik Johnson to be Power's partner for the next few years? I doubt they'd trade him to us but.....  They may need to free up cash to keep Kadri (28g 87pts), Burakovsky (22g 61 pts) and Nichuskin (25g 52 pts),

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

they should be interested. Would love for them to sign him and Zadorov 

Why Zadorov?  Yes, he's physical and big, but the few times saw him play this year he always seems to be good for at least 1 boneheaded cheap shot resulting in a PP for the other team.  And he seems to take himself out of position too often as well.

What is this guy missing that you're seeing?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Why Zadorov?  Yes, he's physical and big, but the few times saw him play this year he always seems to be good for at least 1 boneheaded cheap shot resulting in a PP for the other team.  And he seems to take himself out of position too often as well.

What is this guy missing that you're seeing?

Did Risto tutor him? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

10 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Wonder if Sabres would be interested in Josh Manson?  What would be the cost... Veteran guy... Stanley cup winner and right handed.. 

Will they be idk, but they should be. 

The way I look at it, is if any of these guys are upgrades from who was playing the position on this year's team, well then it's a good signing, even if it might not be a perfect signing. There are many options. 

Team culture is talked about a lot.  Last years team looked to be tight group.  KA should be taking some definite steps to improve this team and to allow the current core to improve in the standings and make a push for the playoffs.  That means to get a goalie to play with UPL.  FA or trade, I don’t care how, just do it.  The roster can be improved without sacrificing the future salary structure.  

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.