Locker Clean Out Days

Brawndo

One year ago today, by the hockey calendar, we got McCabe, Risto, Reinhart,  and of course Jack, all saying in different ways “goodbye” and officially lighting the torches for a burn-it-down off-season.

Wont be nearly as incendiary this year. Hope to see a united message of “can’t wait until next year, we’re going to make it worth your while.”

• Like (+1) 7

2 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Interesting Anderson and Pysyk will be speaking to the media, seeing how they aren't going to be under contract for next year.

Pysyk will be interesting.  Would like to know if the team's talked to him about coming back as the #7 & whether he'd be amenable to it.

• Like (+1) 1

In my mind its also become pretty clear that when the argument of enough talent vs right culture was being made, culture was the bigger roadblock.  Sans Jack, Sam and Risto we are arguably less talented, but a better team with better results.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Weave said:

In my mind its also become pretty clear that when the argument of enough talent vs right culture was being made, culture was the bigger roadblock.  Sans Jack, Sam and Risto we are arguably less talented, but a better team with better results.

Still not convinced that the Sabres couldn't have improved with Eichel & Reinhart & Ristolainen, etc. But they definitely needed at least 2 more Alex Tuchs to go w/ the 1 they have plus still having Okposo & Girgensons around for it to be possible.  And realistically, that kind of influx of talent wouldn't be possible without moving pieces.  So, though it may have been possible technically, it wasn't realistically unless they happened to luck into the next Hasek that was good enough to cover up a lot of flaws/ dysfunctions.  Mia culpa.

That former core/leadership guys like Bogosian or Reinhart can be a component of successful teams show that w/ enough established talent/culture that former core can be useful components, but don't want ANY of them (w/ the possible exception of McCabe) anywhere near a letter.  That core was completely lacking leadership w/in it.  And Reinhart is a 3rd liner on Florida & Bogosian is 3rd pairing in Tampa.  

AMAZING how good a 75 point season can feel when everybody is actually on the same page.  It's still 6 points worse than Murray's best squad (best, 81 points is best, how pathetic) but feels so much better even though there was hope after that year as well because there was so little hope since then.

Hope Adams can actually figure out the goaltending question, not just for the obvious reason that the team we cheer for will be good, but because he seems to be a good guy & it would be nice for him & Granato, another that seems to genuinely be a good person, to have legit success.  (And not just a recent Sabres version of success.)

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

He needed to be in a place where he wasn't a leader.  Pretty sure the trade will work out for everyone.

I don’t think he needed to be a leader here. We have KO, Pysyk, Z, Anderson and then Tuch.  Sam could have just been Sam.  This is the one major trade I don’t think KA got full value.  

16 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don’t think he needed to be a leader here. We have KO, Pysyk, Z, Anderson and then Tuch.  Sam could have just been Sam.  This is the one major trade I don’t think KA got full value.  

Sam had one year to UFA which hurt his return somewhat. He got a 1st and one of the best goalie prospects around. The first will be late though. I think one more piece would have been nice but I think Levi becomes the guy here in a couple years.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He didn't NEED to be a leader here, but reality is he WAS one of the leaders on this team and he had an influence on the culture.

Also, Tuch wasn't here when the trade w/ Florida went down and pretty sure neither Pysyk nor Anderson was a Sabre at that point either.  Adams had a plan & stuck to it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Lots of references to players able to just be themselves.  And not afraid to speak up.  Good God was the locker room a mess before.  

KA made the right player movements out, and the right player movements in.

So much respect for what Adams did for the culture this year.

He made good people treating each other properly the focus above all else and in just one season totally transformed the way I feel about my team.

So much was said about his lack of experience when he was hired. But he’s the anti-Tim Murray. So much of management has nothing to do with analytics, or negotiations, or evaluating talent. It’s about creating an environment where people are empowered to succeed.

If Johnson, Portillo and Levi don’t want to be part of this (for the record, I’ve seen no sign that’s the case) we probably don’t want them anyway.

• Like (+1) 6

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.