GDT: Blackhawks at Sabres 4-29-22 at 7PM

spndnchz

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I've been critical of Jokiharju but in OT he did something that deserves recognition. 

On the OT winner, he won the battle on the boards and immediately sent a perfect pass to Cozens. Cozens took a step forward and rifled the shot. Mitts had body position and shoveled the rebound home. Great play from all 3 but without Joker winning along the boards, keeping the puck in the zone and the pass, none of it happens. 

To me he’s looked more “fearless” since Power arrived, particularly pinching and defending the rush.

Hasn’t always worked, but he’s made more plays as a result 

• Like (+1) 1

What a strange game.  The Sabres coming out flat (there's a reason the Okposo line gets 1st at bat 😉 ) seemed to take the crowd out of it.  Was in this building w/4,000 fans when the crowd was louder. 

But then we finally got that Thompson goal and the atmosphere from the Banner Night was back.  The crowd turned electric & the Sabres fed off it.  So great that it was Power that tied it.  He had gaffes early, but he didn't dwell on them, and bounced back very nicely.  That he could do so was a tribute to Granato.  And Granato going to the "usual" lines in the 3rd seemed to help too.  Passes started hitting sticks as guys knew where his linemates were going.

And, really happy for Mittelstadt to get to be remembered forever.  Anytime somebody replays RJ's last goal call, he'll be the one RJ is talking about.  Lucky him.

And, in the, 'lucky me' department.  In the 3rd, at a couple of TV timeouts, Jeanneret would stand up & wave to the crowd.  This kid expected him to do so at the end, so while pretty much everybody else was watching Thompson hug Mitts, this kid turned his back to the play & watched for RJ to pop back up again.  He did, to just soak it all in it seemed, but he seemed to notice me jumping up & pointing at him waving one of those T-shirts he wore the home game prior to the Banner Night, and he waved back.  Maybe it was just in general to the crowd, but he was looking right at me.  That wave, that's what I'm going to remember forever.

He sat back down & finished up what he had to do, then popped up 1 final time & waved to everybody before heading down to the ice.  But, I'm keeping my moment.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I've been critical of Jokiharju but in OT he did something that deserves recognition. 

On the OT winner, he won the battle on the boards and immediately sent a perfect pass to Cozens. Cozens took a step forward and rifled the shot. Mitts had body position and shoveled the rebound home. Great play from all 3 but without Joker winning along the boards, keeping the puck in the zone and the pass, none of it happens. 

Joker is actually like that quite a lot:  No flash, no nonsense, just make the smart play.  That's why he's on PP2.

2 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

His contact was made while the goalie was in the blue, before the puck was frozen. 

Then the goal would have counted (and possibly been waved off if there was interference).  But they said the play was already dead.

Edited by Doohickie

8 hours ago, JohnC said:

You describe a wife who is a kind and loving person. That was very thoughtful of her to do something that would be memorable for you even when she couldn't attend. To show your appreciation you should do all the housework for a month to return the good deed and balance out the account. 🥰

My wife is awesome.  I am very lucky.  That's why I tell her to go out with her friends and not to worry about me.

• Thanks (+1) 1

8 hours ago, woods-racer said:

Just re-watched the first 12 minutes of the Sabres broadcast. The Sabres *PR* department has come a long ways. The opening video for RJ, the Rick Martin Memorial presentation, then to have Subban sing and have both benches give a rousing stick taps was all wonderfully done. 

There was a really good interview with one of the Sabres PR people on the Instigators Overtime podcast. She seemed to "get it" in terms of engaging with fans.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/30/2022 at 6:07 PM, PASabreFan said:

In rewatching the game I saw that my message to Rick made it onto the MSG door of the pressbox, which was plastered with many such love letters.

In rewatching the game I saw that me holding up my message to Rick & applauding him made it onto the MSG broadcast.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.