GDT: Blackhawks at Sabres 4-29-22 at 7PM

spndnchz

44 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The Sabres had a lot of trouble giving and receiving passes today.  At times, it looked like they were trying too hard and overplayed things.  Passes were too hard or the players were gripping their sticks so hard that the puck would bounce off the blade.

It was on both sides.  My only conclusion is that the was truly crappy and the puck wouldn't settle down.  I don't think I've seen so many fanned shots and passes, so many pucks roll off the ends of sticks.  For both teams.

That said, the tightest part of the game as far as passing goes was the OT.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

It was on both sides.  My only conclusion is that the was truly crappy and the puck wouldn't settle down.  I don't think I've seen so many fanned shots and passes, so many pucks roll off the ends of sticks.  For both teams.

Gotta be.  Guys seemed to randomly turn funny or slip on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Question: the refs blew the whistle on an apparent Buffalo goal.  Does anyone know why?

Thought the puck was covered.  And in that case once the whistle goes, play is dead even if the puck is still loose.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

What was great about this game goes beyond the winning. This certainly was a RJ celebration. That was the highlight. And what made the evening special is that although this was a choppy game the near capacity crowd was into the game. What a contrast compared to when there was a half empty arena that happened too often this season. However, for the last third of the season the team was playing well and steadily the crowds started to increase. This team not only started to win with a greater frequency, it also played an entertaining style of game. Most people believe that this young team is going to get better. If this organization stays on track, I'm confident that the arena will be filled again and be a great environment to watch hockey games. What was lost can be regained. 

Compare KBC for the opener with about 1500 actual fans to tonight with all but a sell out crowd. They've come a long way.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

The puck looked like it was fighting the Sabres all night.

• Like (+1) 3

Subban crushed it. Did not see that coming. The reaction of the Hawks bench at the end is something this fan has never seen and it was so cool.

I won't forget the beautiful noise when they replayed Rick's OT call: dead quiet. That's the greatest tribute he will ever receive.

Work in the AM. It's another Sabres night when sleep will be tough.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Question: the refs blew the whistle on an apparent Buffalo goal.  Does anyone know why?

Middle of the second period?  If so the puck was frozen, and Hayden poked it after the whistle.  He was fortunate not to get a penalty for goaltender interference.  Those calls are so subjective. 

Just re-watched the first 12 minutes of the Sabres broadcast. The Sabres *PR* department has come a long ways. The opening video for RJ, the Rick Martin Memorial presentation, then to have Subban sing and have both benches give a rousing stick taps was all wonderfully done. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

The Sabres had a lot of trouble giving and receiving passes today.  At times, it looked like they were trying too hard and overplayed things.  Passes were too hard or the players were gripping their sticks so hard that the puck would bounce off the blade.

I've been pretty wistful since my wife got me my ticket.  (She had to work.)  Paraphrasing Greg Klyma's song, whose melancholic atmosphere aptly reflects my current mood: now that Rick's retired, Buffalo won't be the same 'cause we loved to hear Rick Jeanneret call the game.

You describe a wife who is a kind and loving person. That was very thoughtful of her to do something that would be memorable for you even when she couldn't attend. To show your appreciation you should do all the housework for a month to return the good deed and balance out the account. 🥰

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Broken Ankles said:

Middle of the second period?  If so the puck was frozen, and Hayden poked it after the whistle.  He was fortunate not to get a penalty for goaltender interference.  Those calls are so subjective. 

They can't call goalie interference on a dead play.

18 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Just re-watched the first 12 minutes of the Sabres broadcast. The Sabres *PR* department has come a long ways. The opening video for RJ, the Rick Martin Memorial presentation, then to have Subban sing and have both benches give a rousing stick taps was all wonderfully done. 

The difference is stark

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

A great game to finish out the season and give RJ one last victory. To much to say but just a couple of things. Thanks for the memories RJ. Suban was a nice touch. The guys wanted it to much early and were gripping the stick to hard. They finally settled in and pulled out a victory. Only way it could have been better is with a 5-2 victory. Going forward fix goaltending first and foremost. Then upgrade a couple of lower players and next season will truly be fun to watch. They definitely made big strides the last half of the season. Overall I'm a happy sabres fan looking forward to next season.

• SDS unpinned this topic

Had a hectic pandemic-disrupted day yesterday. Wound up watching parts of the game where the Sabres looked mostly discombobulated.

Then, as fate had it, I listened to the last 7 minutes of the 3rd and OT in my vehicle as I waited to pick up a kid from work. The symmetry for me, personally, was quite moving. I wasn’t under the covers of my childhood bed listening to an RJ call from Vancouver or L.A. I was a middle-aged dad waiting on the end of his kid’s closing shift that was running long (because of COVID (absence of a co-worker)). She got to the vehicle as the post-game started: “Sorry, we ran late.”

No need to apologize, kid. In fact: Thank you. I was just sitting here thinking: It’s been a hell of a ride.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've been critical of Jokiharju but in OT he did something that deserves recognition. 

On the OT winner, he won the battle on the boards and immediately sent a perfect pass to Cozens. Cozens took a step forward and rifled the shot. Mitts had body position and shoveled the rebound home. Great play from all 3 but without Joker winning along the boards, keeping the puck in the zone and the pass, none of it happens. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just thinking about Subban singing the anthem last night. 

He's a player that came over mid season during probably their worst stretch of hockey and was injured within 3 games.

He had no reason to stick around with the team yet he's been traveling with them to games.

I think that says alot about the kind of culture surrounding the team nowadays. 

Better days ahead and it won't be long now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Shown on the video board. A still image anyway.

Yep.  They also played briefly, prior to the He Man thing, the '90's "I've Got the Power" song (C& C Music Factory maybe?).  They need to drop the few shekels it would take to get that bit w/ that song from Bruce Almighty for the Video Board when he scores.  MHO.  YMMV.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.