GDT: Blackhawks at Sabres 4-29-22 at 7PM

spndnchz

After 51 years behind the microphone, Rick Jeanneret is calling it a career.

The long-time Buffalo Sabres play-by-play announcer will broadcast his final game Friday night when the Sabres host the Chicago Blackhawks at KeyBank Center.

After the game, fans are encouraged to stay in their seats to salute Jeanneret one final time.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 4

This won't be a popular opinion but here goes anyway. Should we do a 1 game tank?? With Detroit and Ottawa playing the Philly Flyers and NJ Devils, we could go from 9 to 7 in the draft order. Plus if Vancouver can win plus VGK lose to St. Louis we could end up with 7 and 15 instead of 9 and 16. I'll be cheering for a victory but it certainly won't hurt my feelings too much if that is the end result by a loss. 1st period yesterday was pretty entertaining, the rest of the game not so much, which did allow me to watch more of the NFL draft than I ever intended. 

Goodbye old friend RJ, we'll miss your always entertaining play by play. Much Weeping at your retirement game.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, jsb said:

This won't be a popular opinion but here goes anyway. Should we do a 1 game tank?? With Detroit and Ottawa playing the Philly Flyers and NJ Devils, we could go from 9 to 7 in the draft order. Plus if Vancouver can win plus VGK lose to St. Louis we could end up with 7 and 15 instead of 9 and 16. I'll be cheering for a victory but it certainly won't hurt my feelings too much if that is the end result by a loss. 1st period yesterday was pretty entertaining, the rest of the game not so much, which did allow me to watch more of the NFL draft than I ever intended. 

Goodbye old friend RJ, we'll miss your always entertaining play by play. Much Weeping at your retirement game.

Yes, you go tell the players in the locker room to lose on purpose. Good call

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, jsb said:

Hell no.   You play to win.  I can’t imaging telling players anything else but that.  And what about RJ?  His last game is a deliberate loss, really?  

• Like (+1) 2

MUST WIN - This young group must go out and beat the snot out of gthe Black Hawks tonight.  Yesterday's performance got their attention.  Tonight they have to finish and be relentless. 

RJ needs to make a lot of "He shoots he scooooooores" calls!   

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mustache of God said:

This will be an emotional one for sure. Thank you RJ for being the voice of the Sabres my entire life.

I'm expecting my first child in ~3 weeks and I'm getting emotional thinking about how he's never going to hear RJ call a game, highlights will be shared.

Boy — Ret. Girl — Jeanne.

Do it. (I'll allow Rhett, of course, or Jenna.)

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jsb said:

That's not what a tank is. 

And no. The difference between 8 and 9 in this draft is non existent at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

The Buffalo Sabres will play their final game of the 2021-22 season tonight. 

The Chicago Blackhawks are in town for a 7 p.m. faceoff from KeyBank Center. A limited number of tickets still remain. Pregame coverage on MSG starts at 6:30 p.m. 

Rick Jeanneret and Rob Ray will have the call on MSG and WGR 550.

After the game, RJ will retire to end a 51-year career as the team's play-by-play announcer. 

Using the Mixhalo app, fans at the game can bring their headphones and listen to RJ's final broadcast live without delay in the arena bowl on their smartphone.

The first 10,000 fans in attendance will also receive a commemorative "RJ's Last Call" T-shirt. "Last Call" content throughout the season has been presented by Wegmans.

At the conclusion of the game, fans are encouraged to stay in their seats to salute Jeanneret one final time. 

• This is the second and final between the Sabres and Blackhawks this season. 
• Last meeting: Buffalo defeated Chicago 6-5 in Chicago on March 28. 
• The Sabres are 2-4-4 in their last 10 games against the Blackhawks; 4-5-1 at home. 

• This is the 126th game all-time between Buffalo and Chicago; Buffalo has a 55-53-17 series record. 
• The Sabres are 35-19-8 at home against the Blackhawks all-time.

• The team's performance this season has guaranteed an improvement in points percentage of at least .115, regardless of the outcome of tonight's game. 
• It marks the eighth time in franchise history and first time since 2015-16 (.165) that the team has improved its year-over-year points percentage by at least .10. 
• With a win tonight, the Sabres would finish with the seventh-best year-over-year points percentage improvement in franchise history. 

• Buffalo has scored 226 goals this season, marking its highest output since the team scored 240 goals during the 2010-11 campaign. 

• A win tonight would give Buffalo consecutive victories over Chicago for the first time since the team won three in a row from Dec. 3, 2003 to Dec. 15, 2007. 
• The Sabres have not won two games against the Blackhawks in the same season since 2000-01. 

• The Sabres are 25-18-7 all-time in the final game of the regular season.

4 minutes ago, steveoath said:

Quick Q for buffalonians. Do you want to go to RJs final game or rather watch it on TV so you can hear him? 

On Instigators they said there’s an app called Mixhalo that lets you listen to RJ’s play-by-play in the arena.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

On Instigators they said there’s an app called Mixhalo that lets you listen to RJ’s play-by-play in the arena.

The app has been available all season.  Don't believe that many have used it.

Personally, am not looking forward to how bad the cashless concession stand lines will be if half the building is trying to use the WiFi all at once.  They already have significant issues when there isn't a full building all trying to use WiFi at once.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.