Sabres game tonight or NFL draft?

mjd1001

Sabres game or NFL Draft, what will you be watching?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What will you spend more time watching tonight?

• Mostly watching the Sabres game, only checking in on the draft occasionally or not at all.
    • Mostly watching the NFL Draft, only checking in on the Sabres game occasionally or not at all.
    • I'll be jumping back and forth between both pretty much 50% of the time with each.

I'd normally watch both, but I'm going to spend most of the time with the Sabres tonight.

I have lost interest in the NFL draft over the years.  I think I am the opposite of most people, but the more something is hyped up, the more attention it is given and advertised and talked about...the less I seem to care about it.  In this case that applies to the NFL draft for me.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Sabres definitely.  But, as usual on "tape" delay.

Will be recording both.  Bills aren't scheduled to pick until a little after 11PM anyway unless they trade up.  Will probably follow the draft thread periodically & if the Bills are on the clock would likely switch over for the 5-10 minutes to see who they got & hear the talking heads quick take on the guy.

For Friday, expect the PA announcer to say who the Bills took during stoppages in play.

And have stuff to do Saturday, so if it isn't raining will have to catch up on that one as well.

Nice to be at a spot where the Sabres are fun to watch & the Bills are good enough that the draft picks likely aren't all that important in the grand scheme.  Easy viewing decision tonight & tomorrow.  (Still want them to somehow end up w/ Davis out of GA.)

Edited by Taro T

I live out of market and don't have ESPN+ or NHL Center Ice this season.  (With the Sabres' re-emergence, I will buy one of those packages next season.)  Given that the Sabres game isn't available on TV at my house, I will stream the Sabres radio broadcast online while watching the NFL Draft on TV.  This is all conditional on my abillity to evade my responsiblities as a husband and father.

47 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

Well the fact that I could not possibly care less about the NFL draft… I’ll be only watching the Sabres game. I don’t know why that wasn’t a choice 🤔

I stopped watching the NFL years ago. Not for political reasons or anything--which is what everyone assumes now when I say that--but because the game is too slow and there are too many commercials. I don't believe the NFL is putting a quality entertainment product on the field anymore. I used to go to the same bar for every single game 8-9 years ago. It slowly started dropping off because the games seemingly took forever. Finally around 2018 (?) I remember watching a game where there was an interception in the 4th quarter of a tied game. The play was reviewed which itself took an unnecessarily long time. Then after the review it went to commercial break. 

All of the momentum from the turnover was gone by the time the next play was run 10 minutes later. Just seemed so pointless. It's why I can't stand to watch the last two minutes of an NBA game either.

Anyway, after that I've watched two superbowl games, but otherwise haven't watched any regular season or playoff games.

End of /rant.

On second thought, that was around the time the Bills started winning and making the playoffs. 🤔 You're welcome y'all.

9 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

I stopped watching the NFL years ago. Not for political reasons or anything--which is what everyone assumes now when I say that--but because the game is too slow and there are too many commercials. I don't believe the NFL is putting a quality entertainment product on the field anymore. I used to go to the same bar for every single game 8-9 years ago. It slowly started dropping off because the games seemingly took forever. Finally around 2018 (?) I remember watching a game where there was an interception in the 4th quarter of a tied game. The play was reviewed which itself took an unnecessarily long time. Then after the review it went to commercial break. 

All of the momentum from the turnover was gone by the time the next play was run 10 minutes later. Just seemed so pointless. It's why I can't stand to watch the last two minutes of an NBA game either.

Anyway, after that I've watched two superbowl games, but otherwise haven't watched any regular season or playoff games.

End of /rant.

On second thought, that was around the time the Bills started winning and making the playoffs. 🤔 You're welcome y'all.

I'm getting close to where you are.

I used to watch every game I could. Wouldn't miss a single minute of the Bills, watched 3-4 other games per week parked on the couch staring at the TV.  But with me it happened gradually.  Missed a few of the other games at first..then stopped watching all the Bills games.

Now, I 'follow' the bills, follow the story-lines. Read and participate (somewhat) in discussions about them. But I don't think I have watched a game from start to end, seeing every play, in a few years.  Part of it is not much is new to me anymore (I have seen all the comebacks I need to see, no one handed catch I can see now I haven't seen before, etc).  But a bigger part of it is the commercials, the pace of the game, and just EVERYTHING being overhyped.

I said it in another thread on here, but basically when I get to the point where I feel I am overloaded with a topic or sport...where I can't get away from it...where there is just so much hype and attention...it turns me away.  I know their goal is to make something so big that people feel like they 'just can't miss it' but to me it does the exact opposite.  I get too much 'overload' from the attention and usually look for something else to do.

• Like (+1) 2

I agree that the NFL has watered down its product - too many games on too many nights, too much coverage and hype, etc., and yes, WAY too many commercials that disrput the flow of the game.  That said, after all these years, the Bills are a top contender, so my interest is high.  Also, there seems to be a reasonable amount of parity, so there are lots of upsets and most games are competitive.  The divisional playoff round this year was off the charts.  There were four games and all four were incredible games, down to the wire, great drama, etc., including the Bills-Chiefs which was the best of them all for football fans in general, despite the heartbreaking loss by the Bills.  It may have been the best weekend of NFL football in history - and that's not hyperbole - it was truly that good.

Divisional playoffs

Saturday, January 22, 2022

AFC: Cincinnati Bengals 19, Tennessee Titans 16

NFC: San Francisco 49ers 13, Green Bay Packers 10

Sunday, January 23, 2022

NFC: Los Angeles Rams 30, Tampa Bay Buccaneers 27

AFC: Kansas City Chiefs 42, Buffalo Bills 36 (OT)

NFL aside, I love hockey and the Sabres' apparent return to relevance has rekindled my interest in the team and the NHL in general.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have no interest in the draft.  Meh.  I want to see the teams play.

There isn't an option for not spending a single second watching the draft so I can't respond to the poll.

The first option...it says "Mostly watching the Sabres game, only checking in on the draft occasionally or not at all."

The 'not at all' part is I think what you are looking for/missing.

NFL is a money machine and is ,I think, going to start losing fans. Commercials have lost two family members already. Super Bowl has become a commercial production in itself. I'm moving more toward my before mentioned family members.

3 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

The first option...it says "Mostly watching the Sabres game, only checking in on the draft occasionally or not at all."

The 'not at all' part is I think what you are looking for/missing.

I saw that but didn't want to give the impression that I even might watch some.

1 minute ago, Radar said:

NFL is a money machine and is ,I think, going to start losing fans. Commercials have lost two family members already. Super Bowl has become a commercial production in itself. I'm moving more toward my before mentioned family members.

IMO…you are dreaming.  The NFL is the #1 sport in the US, and shows no signs of slowing down.  It is a license to print money.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Radar said:

A little off topic here, but another thing about the NFL (honestly a lot of sports) is the fantasy and gambling aspect.  It is OK for me if that is allowed...and I understand people really like their fantasy teams and gambling.  But being blasted with it over and over is turning me away for sure. Sometimes I'll listen to WGR, and you have commercials during the breaks for gambling sites....then you have commercials read by the hosts DURING the show...and then on top of it you have conversation between the hosts talking not about the game, but gambling and fantasy in addition to all that.  Again, if anyone likes gambling and fantasy fine, but just not being able to escape it at all  gets me to turn off the sports talk/game sometime and look for something else.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have no interest in the draft.  Meh.  I want to see the teams play.

There isn't an option for not spending a single second watching the draft so I can't respond to the poll.

There's not a "neither" option either. As others above are mentioning I too rarely watch the NFL where previously I'd have most games on the weekend and catch the Monday and Thursday games. It's a rarity I put any game on now (even the Bills), but rather read the thread and watch the 10-minutes of highlights after. Sabres are the same, I haven't watched a live gave this season, even though I might be able to with ESPN+ (which I have on-and-off when we activate the Hot-spot plan with Verizon). It's not political either, just decided I have too many other things I'd rather do that are better for me than TV as a whole.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

IMO…you are dreaming.  The NFL is the #1 sport in the US, and shows no signs of slowing down.  It is a license to print money.  

At this moment in time I would definitely agree, but things could change. I've already lost interest in the Super Bowl. When the Bills get there give me a call.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.