Rick Jeanneret history mysteries

PASabreFan

A story about Rick on sabres.com leading up to RJ Night said he called his first Sabres game on October 10, 1971, as the Sabres hosted the Pens to start the franchise's second season. But the Sabres' media guide for that season says Ted Darling, the voice of the Sabres, would do all games on the radio unless they were televised, and then Rick would take over on the radio. The home opener was not televised.

If the media guide is right, Rick's first call was in Boston on October 14, and his first game at the Aud was against the Leafs on November 21.

Another mystery is whether Rick has, indeed, called a hockey championship in Buffalo. He did Bisons road games in 1969-1970. The Calder Cup was won on the road that season. I know some of our posters go back that far. @PromoTheRobot?

Then there's this question that exists only in my head. Did Rick ever call a game from home? I know Ted did, during the Blizzard of 77. But I swear there was a night I got the distinct impression Rick wasn't at the Aud. It was never talked about as far as I can remember. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it but didn't want it advertised because of his respect for and deference to Ted, which exists to this day.

Have at it. Any others?

Edited by PASabreFan

I listen to that Bison Championship win on my Sylvania transistor radio.  I just can’t remember the announcer.  It should have been RJ. 

I cared more about Guy Trottier and Gil Villemiere at the time. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I listen to that Bison Championship win on my Sylvania transistor radio.  I just can’t remember the announcer.  It should have been RJ. 

How do you feel about being hypnotized?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I remember my disappointment that Trottier and Villamuere wouldn't play for Buffalo the following season!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, mphs mike said:

Ted always knew the hometown of a fan catching a puck that went over the glass!😀

Could never figure out HOW he KNEW that!

(Couldn't believe an adult would just make something like that up.  He had to have been psychic!  (D'oh!))

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

9 hours ago, mphs mike said:

I remember my disappointment that Trottier and Villamuere wouldn't play for Buffalo the following season!

Despite setting an AHL goal record, Guy Trottier did not have much of an NHL career with the Leafs. Villamure backed up Eddie Giacomin on the Rangers, who were the Bisons parent club.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Despite setting an AHL goal record, Guy Trottier did not have much of an NHL career with the Leafs. Villamure backed up Eddie Giacomin on the Rangers, who were the Bisons parent club.

I was old enough to go to games and remember the championship, but young enough not to understand the farm system. I think my thoughts we - just because we’re changing our name doesn’t mean we should get rid of out best players

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

He didn’t back up Goacomin.  They pretty much split the nets.  Gilles made 3 All Star Teams, and he shared a Vezina with Giacomin.  A pretty good career. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

A story about Rick on sabres.com leading up to RJ Night said he called his first Sabres game on October 10, 1971, as the Sabres hosted the Pens to start the franchise's second season. But the Sabres' media guide for that season says Ted Darling, the voice of the Sabres, would do all games on the radio unless they were televised, and then Rick would take over on the radio. The home opener was not televised.

If the media guide is right, Rick's first call was in Boston on October 14, and his first game at the Aud was against the Leafs on November 21.

Another mystery is whether Rick has, indeed, called a hockey championship in Buffalo. He did Bisons road games in 1969-1970. The Calder Cup was won on the road that season. I know some of our posters go back that far. @PromoTheRobot?

Then there's this question that exists only in my head. Did Rick ever call a game from home? I know Ted did, during the Blizzard of 77. But I swear there was a night I got the distinct impression Rick wasn't at the Aud. It was never talked about as far as I can remember. I wouldn't be surprised if he did it but didn't want it advertised because of his respect for and deference to Ted, which exists to this day.

Have at it. Any others?

I'd suggest tweeting Brian Duff and Biron about these questions; they tend to look into them for fans.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.