About that trade…

Believer

Sam Fels levels the Knights, the trade, and the player… The article is informed… and the comments are great reading… Somebody is stewing in LV today…

https://deadspin.com/maybe-jack-eichel-just-isn-t-that-guy-1848837660

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Believer said:

Sam Fels levels the Knights, the trade, and the player… The article is informed… and the comments are great reading… Somebody is stewing in LV today…

While I hate websites with way too many ads... I like that the author craps on Lehner first than goes apoplectic on John... Of course he is not wrong... saw it way too much when jack was needed it.... only issue and maybe it takes more than a year to realize but he does not acknowledge the curse of Jack... though his timeline illustrates it continues straight from wence Jack came... nearby Salem, the town of witches? 🤔 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Believer said:

The curmudgeon in me has a hard time getting past the writing style.  

Hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned. Enjoy the schadenfreude.  

1 minute ago, Zamboni said:

I’m sure the article is great. A lot of red meat go devour. I just think deadspin is horrid. 

Yeah it’s off putting 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, inkman said:

The curmudgeon in me has a hard time getting past the writing style.  

Hell hath no fury like a Buffalo fan scorned. Enjoy the schadenfreude.  

Yeah it’s off putting 

Dunno… Fels tells the LV Eichel story… and gets his admittedly strong opinions across… with facts and loud language… Nothing subtle… Primary colors… He gets your attention, but not everyone’s cup of tea…

Agree the comments are mostly one-sided… The player elicits strong reactions, pro and con… No surprise given the circumstances of his parting…

I’m going to play Jack apologist for a second.  Jack is coming back from a career threatening injury and a difficult surgery.  He had no camp, had to play his way back into shape and play with guys he was unfamiliar with.  The fact he has done as well as he has is pretty amazing.  LV won’t get what they paid for until next season.  

That said there are reasons for LV to be worried about acquiring Jack, but his play this season isn’t the cause of their hopefully missing the playoffs. Injuries (they still have 7 players out with injuries) and mediocre goaltending are responsible.

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

I’m sure the article is great. A lot of red meat to devour. I just think deadspin is horrid. 

I will never navigate there willingly. I loved the site during its original iterations. Once the VC ghouls came in and hollowed it out as a profit center, I logged off.

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

That said there are reasons for LV to be worried about acquiring Jack, but his play this season isn’t the cause of their hopefully missing the playoffs. Injuries (they still have 7 players out with injuries) and mediocre goaltending are responsible.

At least 4-5 of those 7 are really injured too!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

6 hours ago, Believer said:

The article has some good points and he backed it up with data of Eichel's last 5 games.  The very last sentence ends poorly.   Deadspin is a correct name for this.  

• Like (+1) 1

Deadspin isn't even real Deadspin any more. All the original writers and editors left. Most are at Defector now. New Deadspin is like a funhouse mirror reflection of Old Deadspin.

Not going to knock anyone's enjoyment of schadenfreude Eichel reading, though; its all gravy.

Edited by sabills

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I’m going to play Jack apologist for a second.  Jack is coming back from a career threatening injury and a difficult surgery.  He had no camp, had to play his way back into shape and play with guys he was unfamiliar with.  The fact he has done as well as he has is pretty amazing.  LV won’t get what they paid for until next season.  

The Knights have been plagued by injuries all year, but that didn't stop them from ascending to the top of their division. My Son is a die hard VGK fan and earlier in the season I told him, "I think someone in the Knights organization sold their soul to the devil", how can this team keep winning with all these injuries?

Then Jack hit the ice. He got off to a slow start, but once he got his legs back he started playing like the old Jack and was the best Knight on the ice in most games, but then with the season hanging by a thread, he's completely vanished. Prior to these last 4 games he was on a 6 game point streak where he had 5g, 2a, was a +8, and was averaging 4.6 shots/gm. The last 4 games, 0 points, -2, and only 2.5 shots/gm.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Knights have fallen apart since Jack started playing. He just might be the Russell Westbrook of the NHL.

Edited by Amaru523

Meier goal was typical Eichel in the defensive zone.  He skates around thinking he can get to every puck and does not stay with whom he is supposed to be covering. 

He did it all the time with the Sabres.  He back checks well because of his speed, but is lost in the d zone if the other team ever starts to cycle.

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Based.  I'm not on the *****-on-Jack train because we don't have all the details of what happened in Buffalo.

BUT I am licking my chops for LV to put that first rounder squarely at #15 overall (maybe 16 because Canucks), which would give us like #9, #15, and a with hopeful early FLA playoff exit, #24.  That, combined with our #41, gives us a lot of draft capital to move around to take specific players.  So for the moment, I'm vested in Jack being a waste of both ice time and cap space.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

Based.  I'm not on the *****-on-Jack train because we don't have all the details of what happened in Buffalo.

BUT I am licking my chops for LV to put that first rounder squarely at #15 overall (maybe 16 because Canucks), which would give us like #9, #15, and a with hopeful early FLA playoff exit, #24.  That, combined with our #41, gives us a lot of draft capital to move around to take specific players.  So for the moment, I'm vested in Jack being a waste of both ice time and cap space.

I agree with all of this but I think the highest FLA can pick is #27, and that's only if Colorado passes them for #1 overall in the NHL standings.  Since they are, in this scenario, a division winner not making the conference finals, they are in slot 27 (if CO passes them in the overall standings) or 28 (if Fla. finishes #1 overall).

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

That FLA pick can't be any better than 27.  They've locked up the 2nd best record in the league.  Would guess the most likely outcome is 28 - a 1st or 2nd round exit combined w/ the Avs making at least the semis.

4 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I agree with all of this but I think the highest FLA can pick is #27, and that's only if Colorado passes them for #1 overall in the NHL standings.  Since they are, in this scenario, a division winner not making the conference finals, they are in slot 27 (if CO passes them in the overall standings) or 28 (if Fla. finishes #1 overall).

I certainly could be wrong.

I thought it was: First round playoff losers that did not win the division title, followed by first round playoff losers that did win the division title.

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Is this why he got 20+ minutes every night from late March through early April? 23 minutes the last game. He’s not in shape?

He’s played with the team for over two months now, Plus several weeks of skating with them prior to playing. Is he still getting adjusted to them? 

He may have 21 points on the year but he’s only had one point in the last six games, while Vegas is laying on their deathbed? And he should be getting better not worse.

3 minutes ago, IKnowPhysics said:

I certainly could be wrong.

I thought it was: First round playoff losers that did not win the division title, followed by first round playoff losers that did win the division title.

It goes like this:

32 - Cup winner 

31 - Cup finals loser

30 - Losing conference finalist w/better record

29 - Losing conference finalist w/worse record

17-28 - arranged by regular season standings

Only the conference finals and cup finals impact draft order.  The rest of the playoff results don’t factor into it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.