For the first time in I'm not sure how long, I don't want the season to end...

matter2003

3 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Normally I get through the summer on baseball.  But here in north Texas our team has already been eliminated from the playoff hunt (technically the Rangers are still in it, but they are in second last place in the whole league, 12 games into a 162 game season and I'm not expecting a turnaround.)

It's gonna be a long summer.

We have a Double-A Eastern League team here, the NH Fishercats. Nice stadium with a couple of restaurants in the outfield. Always a pleasant evening. Sometimes I make the drive to Worcester to see the Sox triple-A team the Woo Sox. Polar Park is probably the best minor league ballpark anywhere. Then there's always the Red Sox if I wanna fork over $$$$.

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

To be honest, I cringe when people that say they hate players, people that they don’t know.  Some players I just want to move on from because I think we can’t win with them. 

Oh come on, when we say we "hate" athletes we don't want them to die of cancer or something, we just want them off our team. The word is used pretty loosely. It just conveys a strong emotional attachment to your team's well being, and nothing more. 

Except for Eichel 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

I think those looking for sweeping upgrades are going to be disappointed.

We're going to add a goalie and an RD and upgrade Eakin. None of those 3 will be big names.

Adams will be counting on internal growth from UPL, MItts, Quinn, Power, Krebs, Cozens and Peterka.

I generally agree.  However, KA surprised everyone with the Hall signing, so I won't be to surprised if he gets a big name, but this time at a bargain cost.

9 hours ago, SwampD said:

Ready for some games that matter.

This is difficult for me to articulate, and I don’t think it will be a popular sentiment, but my feeling is that these games matter as much as any others. Partly because they’re being played now - and now is all that’s promised. But largely because of how this team is playing.

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

This is difficult for me to articulate, and I don’t think it will be a popular sentiment, but my feeling is that these games matter as much as any others. Partly because they’re being played now - and now is all that’s promised. But largely because of how this team is playing.

This. I think it is vitally important that the players see that the plan is viable and beginning to show results. Unlike the malaise created by the rudderless plan of the past however many years.

1 hour ago, That Aud Smell said:

So, just like preseason games?

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

We have a Double-A Eastern League team here, the NH Fishercats. Nice stadium with a couple of restaurants in the outfield. Always a pleasant evening. Sometimes I make the drive to Worcester to see the Sox triple-A team the Woo Sox. Polar Park is probably the best minor league ballpark anywhere. Then there's always the Red Sox if I wanna fork over $$$$.

What are the ticket prices for the Red Sox? Are tickets usually available?

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

What are the ticket prices for the Red Sox? Are tickets usually available?

Really depends. They use dynamic pricing. So a mid-week game against the Angels you can get standing room for $11 or bleacher seating for $16. But if you want to sit between 1st and 3rd bases you are looking at between $100-200.  A weekend Yankees game? You can't set foot in the park for less that $100.  Keep in mind in 1912 when Fenway was built, people must have been on average 4ft tall. If you are taller than 6ft (as I am) you cannot even get your legs in grandstand seat. I have to either stand or sit in a roomier box seat.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Really depends. They use dynamic pricing. So a mid-week game against the Angels you can get standing room for $11 or bleacher seating for $16. But if you want to sit between 1st and 3rd bases you are looking at between $100-200.  A weekend Yankees game? You can't set foot in the park for less that $100.  Keep in mind in 1912 when Fenway was built, people must have been on average 4ft tall. If you are taller than 6ft (as I am) you cannot even get your legs in grandstand seat. I have to either stand or sit in a roomier box seat.

I thought the Sox were systematically changing the seats to make them more size appropriate? 

Just now, JohnC said:

I thought the Sox were systematically changing the seats to make them more size appropriate? 

Impossible to do in most of Fenway. And any seat with upgraded room is priced accordingly.

I do have a hack when I go to Sox games. I go on StubHub an hour before games and write down what decent seats are still for sale. Then I buy the cheapest ticket I can find. Once I'm in the park, I walk around and see which of those StubHub seats are still empty and swoop in. Works about 75% of the time.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Normally I get through the summer on baseball.  But here in north Texas our team has already been eliminated from the playoff hunt (technically the Rangers are still in it, but they are in second last place in the whole league, 12 games into a 162 game season and I'm not expecting a turnaround.)

It's gonna be a long summer.

I haven't cared about baseball in maybe 20 years...it's a dying sport with the average fan in their mid 60s.

46 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Impossible to do in most of Fenway. And any seat with upgraded room is priced accordingly.

I do have a hack when I go to Sox games. I go on StubHub an hour before games and write down what decent seats are still for sale. Then I buy the cheapest ticket I can find. Once I'm in the park, I walk around and see which of those StubHub seats are still empty and swoop in. Works about 75% of the time.

I took a tour of Fenway when I was in Boston, it was really cool. Got out to the green monster and they talked about the famous jumping bean home run and why it was caught on camera, etc...then he talked about the heartbreak of the series...

Of course growing up a Mets fan I had to chime in about Bill Buckner hahaha

3 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

It matters because this team is starting to figure it out and realizing they can actually be pretty damn good...it's like they reach a certain point where they don't expect to just to be in games, they expect to win them...and I think it's starting to happen for this team.

It's a huge mindset thing, and it will pay huge dividends heading into next year when they come back with the mindset already in place and ready to build on it.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

It matters because this team is starting to figure it out and realizing they can actually be pretty damn good...it's like they reach a certain point where they don't expect to just to be in games, they expect to win them...and I think it's starting to happen for this team.

It's a huge mindset thing, and it will pay huge dividends heading into next year when they come back with the mindset already in place and ready to build on it.

I appreciate this. It speaks to something so important - something different than what I am trying to articulate.

I’m in a very particular headspace of late. Nothing unique. Many others (especially the famous mystics) have inhabited it and described it far better.

It’s just being present to the present. Life is today, life is now — “this is not a drill.” Life is what happens when you’re busy making other plans (or as you’re looking forward to things to come, as you’re hoping for things in the future (in this connection: playoffs, a Cup run)).

When my son and I went to the wildcard game against the Patriots, and our STH-heavy section in the 300s ended up just laughing at how badly the Bills were humiliating the vaunted enemy, I just wanted to grab every nearby fan by the shoulders and entreat them: THIS IS IT. This is what we want. This is all we need. This is amazing. This doesn’t have to be the big game in 4 weeks time. That game will be a very different experience when the Bills are next in it. We are all here now. Our hearts could not be more full. That would be impossible. This is it. There’s nothing more that we need to hope for, *right now*, at least - in this moment.

And I love this Sabres team.

• Like (+1) 3

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.