Any PGA Golf fans here?

PromoTheRobot

I do not play golf.  I suck at it and figured anything else is a more efficient use of time and effort. I might watch a major tourney on a Sunday afternoon.  

So with that said, I went to the last PGA Championship at Oak Hill (2013??) and I had an awesome time! I chose Thursday thinking the crowds would be lightest and I could move around. I watched Tiger birdie a par-three and kind of felt like that was a bucket list kind of thing. 

I drank beer all day (!!), moved around the course, saw some great golf shots, loved the course, and people watched.  Most interesting at the time were Phil’s weird fans fawning all over him (one kid was super pumped to have Phil’s flying grass divot from a shot out of the rough. He showed it to me like it was a trophy with an indescribable look in his eye…I just kept drinking lol). 

Anyway, GREAT time. You should consider it. 

Edited by Porous Five Hole
  • Like (+1) 1

For those who are going

It is now customary to yell "Go Bills" a split second after a player hits a crucial shot and there is enough silence left in the crowd to make it to the microphones 

It has been written so it must be done

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 1

Went to the '03 tournament at Oak Hill. Was planning to hit golf in the AM then an afternoon Bills training camp practice in Pittsford. (The PGA was played in mid-August back then). Had sponsors tickets for the PGA. Hospitality Tent. ☺️ The Bills had to make due without me that day.

I took my father to the 2013 PGA Championship at Oak Hill on Saturday & Sunday.  It was a blast.  Beautiful course to walk and a few nice holes that you can sit in the shade and watch all the players come through. Highly recommended. @PromoTheRobot appreciate the heads up on the advanced ticket info.  

59 minutes ago, JustOneParade said:

Went to the '03 tournament at Oak Hill. Was planning to hit golf in the AM then an afternoon Bills training camp practice in Pittsford. (The PGA was played in mid-August back then). Had sponsors tickets for the PGA. Hospitality Tent. ☺️ The Bills had to make due without me that day.

I was there in 03 as well.

Practice the week leading up to the event is where it is at.  The crowds are lighter and there is some interaction with the pros.  Some of the old timers are real characters.

I don't remember which hole, it's a par 5 that is cut roughly in half by a creek.  Mickelson and Daly were playing together in the practice round we saw.  When they got to the tee box, Michelson pulled out a 3 wood and the crowd booed.  Daly offered Michelson a bet for longest drive, and Michelson went back to his bag and grabbed the driver.  The crowd around the tee box roared.  Neither one put it in the fairway on the first try so neither won the bet.  Michelson was a little ahead of Daly when they both finally did put one in the fairway.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Weave said:

I was there in 03 as well.

Practice the week leading up to the event is where it is at.  The crowds are lighter and there is some interaction with the pros.  Some of the old timers are real characters.

I don't remember which hole, it's a par 5 that is cut roughly in half by a creek.  Mickelson and Daly were playing together in the practice round we saw.  When they got to the tee box, Michelson pulled out a 3 wood and the crowd booed.  Daly offered Michelson a bet for longest drive, and Michelson went back to his bag and grabbed the driver.  The crowd around the tee box roared.  Neither one put it in the fairway on the first try so neither won the bet.  Michelson was a little ahead of Daly when they both finally did put one in the fairway.

Practice rounds are fun to watch. The players will interact and don’t mind signing stuff.

They will try different shots and drop extra balls to hit what they expect.

I find the tournament rounds better on TV because you can see what is happening all over the course plus highlights.

I’ve never been to Oak Hill but attended a PGA Championship in Chicago (Medinah).

3 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Practice rounds are fun to watch. The players will interact and don’t mind signing stuff.

They will try different shots and drop extra balls to hit what they expect.

I find the tournament rounds better on TV because you can see what is happening all over the course plus highlights.

I’ve never been to Oak Hill but attended a PGA Championship in Chicago (Medinah).

Yeah, it is neat to watch guys play multiple balls, using a different strategy with each ball to get around a hole or tough spot, dropping extra balls to shape shots, and putt out from multiple locations to get a read on the greens.

• Like (+1) 1

Players are more relaxed and certainly more affable during the practice rounds. Especially on Tuesday. On Wednesday you can see them starting to get more serious and focus on 'work'. Been to the practice rounds at the Masters several times (and one final round, too). If you like golf and have never been to Augusta National, put it on your bucket list. Television does not do it justice for just how beautiful that place is.

My dad and I were at the 89 Open there. One of the holes has an elevated tee. We stood at the bottom of the hill about 50 yards below the tee. We saw two balls fly out but had no idea who had hit them. Down the hill come Jack Nicklaus and Tom Watson side by side. Thrill of a lifetime.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.