Goal song appreciation thread

inkman

5 minutes ago, inkman said:

The other day I stumbled acrosst (for you Rayzor) “Let me Clear my Throat” on satellite radio and let me tell you how refreshing it’s been not to have to hear that twice a night like the previous years.  Good riddance.  

It must be the audio feed, but I can’t tell you what the vast majority of Sabres goal songs are. I mean Tage has 35 goals, and I don’t have a clue.

Skinner’s Miley is the only inspired choice that sticks out. Krebs Back in Black is the only other one I know.

56 minutes ago, inkman said:

The other day I stumbled acrosst (for you Rayzor) “Let me Clear my Throat” on satellite radio and let me tell you how refreshing it’s been not to have to hear that twice a night like the previous years.  Good riddance.  

PA, I’m breaking the streak.

@Inky, there is no way those were consecutive games you were watching if it was twice a night.  

I guess I wasn’t the only one rooting for shutouts.  

@inkman Let Me Clear My Throat is a certified jam. It should have been a fun goal song. It certainly could have been one. And sometimes it was. But the team was generally so bad and unlikable at that time ... there was no salvaging it. Btw, the formula here goes

GOAL SONG SUCCESS RATING = QUALITY OF SONG x QUALITY OF TEAM AROUND TIME OF ADOPTION AS GOAL SONG

Of this, there can be no doubt: The Bills' "Shout" song is pretty lame, in a vacuum and standing on its own. I'd venture that it's rank cheese, in fact. But it came along at just the right time. And now it is an anthem.

@LabattBlue that was jeremy white's cause, IIRC. it struck me as trying too hard, too on the nose.

Edited by That Aud Smell

4 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

GOAL SONG SUCCESS RATING = QUALITY OF SONG x QUALITY OF TEAM AROUND TIME OF ADOPTION AS GOAL SONG

Of this, there can be no doubt: The Bills' "Shout" song is pretty lame, in a vacuum and standing on its own. I'd venture that it's rank cheese, in fact. But it came along at just the right time. And now it is an anthem.

This is absolutely correct!  It's a pretty bad rendition of "Shout!" but it came along at the right time and is now part of the Bills' culture.

21 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

@inkman Let Me Clear My Throat is a certified jam. It should have been a fun goal song. It certainly could have been one. And sometimes it was. But the team was generally so bad and unlikable at that time ... there was no salvaging it. Btw, the formula here goes

@LabattBlue that was jeremy white's cause, IIRC. it struck me as trying too hard, too on the nose.

You are correct!  When the Sabres were looking for a new goal song prior to “here we go now…” was selected, Jeremy was pushing hard for swords of a thousand men. 

Edited by LabattBlue

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

I gotta say, I never was indoctrinated with Better Days because I either didn’t go to games then as I was a broke or I didn’t watch when they played it (after games I think). Really glad I avoided that whole mess. 

It still gives me goosebumps. Go figure. Wasn't it just the playoff video intro in 07?

58 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

This is absolutely correct!  It's a pretty bad rendition of "Shout!" but it came along at the right time and is now part of the Bills' culture.

I recall when it was briefly supplanted by a fight song. There was a mini riot. Don't recall if the fight song was the same as the ditty Marv wrote and sang.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It still gives me goosebumps. Go figure. Wasn't it just the playoff video intro in 07?

It was. I still love the song and Sabre connection.

I recall when it was briefly supplanted by a fight song. There was a mini riot. Don't recall if the fight song was the same as the ditty Marv wrote and sang.

Ha - Marv and his Bills collegiate fight song.

Wasn't it some different version of Shout that they tried to pass off when they decided the rights to the "good" one were deemed to expensive?  But too many people hated it so they had to bite the bullet & bring it back.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Wasn't it some different version of Shout that they tried to pass off when they decided the rights to the "good" one were deemed to expensive?  But too many people hated it so they had to bite the bullet & bring it back.

Yes something like this. I remember Thurman Thomas stating something along the lines of, “If the fans boo after we score a touchdown one more time, I’m going to (be very upset).  

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Sounds like Shout! didn't miss a beat in 93.

https://wyrk.com/the-year-the-buffalo-bills-shout-song-was-almost-banned/

I still seem to recall a professional version of Marv's fight song being played instead of Shout! But it didn't last long. Would be a good topic for TBD.

8 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

Sounds like Shout! didn't miss a beat in 93.

https://wyrk.com/the-year-the-buffalo-bills-shout-song-was-almost-banned/

I still seem to recall a professional version of Marv's fight song being played instead of Shout! But it didn't last long. Would be a good topic for TBD.

By "professional" do you mean w/ somebody other than Marv singing it?  Don't recall hearing a version other than the one he sung on his TV show.  Wouldn't be surprised if that version was played once or twice at Rich but don't recall it being played there.  (Only went to 4 games that season he wrote the song, so maybe it was played some.)

Interesting question.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.