Has the NHL tried this?

Guest PromoTheRobot

Guest PromoTheRobot

When the NHL mandated the use of helmets, they allowed current players the choice to wear one or not. It took a few years, but once the last pre-helmet player retired, the rule was in effect 100%

Why can't the NHL make the same offer in regards to a salary cap? That way a cap does not effect any current player. The NHL would have to wait a few years, but eventually they get the cost certainty they're looking for.

Has anyone thought of this?

PTR

How would you figure the cap? You have 21 players on the rosters. Is the cap determined by how many are "new" players and how many are pre CBA. It would ceate a huge mess.

Here is a better solution. The owners should write out the CBA with a hard salary cap. Give it to the players and say these are rules we are playing under. If you don't like it? Play in Europe. Start the 2005-06 season with replacement players.

It's not like the Sabres have any star players. So we won't see any drop in play.

What about the Amerks who have decent talent down there that should and will be called up to the Sabres? Will these guys be subject to the new CBA rules? Some guys have already been in the "show" - Taylor, Roy, Jillson and Miller. How would they enter the new NHL?

I do like the idea of any new players coming into the league be subject to the cap. F*$K all these +15 yr vets like Pronger, Chelios, Jagr and the rest seeking unreasonable $$$Millions. Even Satan didn't post 30 goals. Briere was way better than him.

In the end we are made to wait because two sides can't figure out how to divi up a $2 BILLION dollar industry. Gee, I'll play for $1.3M instead of $2M! Thanks for ruining my favorite game you A$$HOLES!! Players, Bettman, Goodenow and Owners = Greedy S.O.B.s!!

Disgusted by the whole thing!! F#U*C@K!!!!!!

Here is a better solution. The owners should write out the CBA with a hard salary cap. Give it to the players and say these are rules we are playing under. If you don't like it? Play in Europe. Start the 2005-06 season with replacement players.

It's not like the Sabres have any star players. So we won't see any drop in play.

again.... couldn't have said it better myself.

Archived