OT: USS Sullivans Taking on Water

Carmel Corn

On 4/19/2022 at 9:19 AM, Pimlach said:

Yes, but the money for something like this doesn’t come from the defense budget.  That money is earmarked for R&D, production, sustainment, etc  … very little for this kind of thing.  I must assume that USN no longer owns this asset, maybe Buffalo does? 

My company actually used company funds, to help the USAF mount an old and historic fighter jet on an airbase for a dedicated display.  In return they let use the jet to reverse engineer sections of it for a project they benefited from.  We borrowed the old beauty, we covered cost to move it back and forth, in return we cleaned it up and mounted it for them.  No dollars exchanged.   

You like others miss my point. You're concerned with who owns it. I'm well aware the US navy does not, however the US navy and US as a country should take an interest in The Sullivans considering why this ship exists and is named thusly. Maybe the NFL and the US DOD can conduct 1 less flyover this year, would probably secure about 200k or more. My point isn't who owns it, it is that in the supposedly richest country in the world, where we spend 50k a flight hour for some aircraft and give billionaires 450 million like it's nothing, it's pretty telling a country that screams about their patriotism seems willing to let the USS The Sullivans die a watery death like the 5 Brothers of her namesake who sacrificed so much,  for so many. 

If the US wanted to save the ship, they could without blinking. 

Edited by LGR4GM

48 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You like others miss my point. You're concerned with who owns it. I'm well aware the US navy does not, however the US navy and US as a country should take an interest in The Sullivans considering why this ship exists and is named thusly. Maybe the NFL and the US DOD can conduct 1 less flyover this year, would probably secure about 200k or more. My point isn't who owns it, it is that in the supposedly richest country in the world, where we spend 50k a flight hour for some aircraft and give billionaires 450 million like it's nothing, it's pretty telling a country that screams about their patriotism seems willing to let the USS The Sullivans die a watery death like the 5 Brothers of her namesake who sacrificed so much,  for so many. 

If the US wanted to save the ship, they could without blinking. 

Your point in taken.  I understand it.  When funding is needed that’s were who owns it matters.  If the US Navy would agree to pay, and fund the project right now, they have to take the dollars from somewhere, or else or put in next years budget for approval.   That is the problem with asking the USN to help   

I just read something on Twitter that the Fed Gov’t is looking into funding to help save it.  Not sure if I should believe everything I read on the Internet. 

https://www.stripes.com/theaters/us/2022-04-17/repairs-to-the-uss-the-sullivans-could-be-costly-and-take-time-5715512.html

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how many know of the *Tin Can Navy*.

The Tin Can Navy roams the high seas
in search of submarine enemies.
Bouncing around on rolling waves,
we tried to send our foes to ocean graves,
while defending our liberties.

We went without the luxuries,
endured despite a few miseries,
because of challenges the crew braves
in the Tin Can Navy.

Our many nautical odysseys
to distant places provided the keys
to great adventures a young man craves.
These days, I ride nostalgic waves
across a sea of memories
from the Tin Can Navy.

The are ex-sailors that served on the old destroyers. You'll find them today as volunteers on Ships such as the Sullivans. Painting, cleaning, maintaining them. Find one, they are easy to spot as they are old and working on the ship. Ask them one question. You'll be there for an hour enjoying every minute. Great people.

The last sailor I met was actually on board the Sullivans for her last tour of duty. I met him in the boiler room when I was taking the self guided tour, it's where he was stationed that day and for his time when he served. First hand account of how the ship works with great side stories of life on an old destroyer. Best history class I ever had.

Edit.

Spell correct hates Sullivans.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.