OT: USS Sullivans Taking on Water

Carmel Corn

Just now, Carmel Corn said:

Sorry to see this happening at the naval park.  Hope they can get her back afloat.  Whenever we visit town, we like to go to the waterfront.

https://www.wivb.com/news/local-news/buffalo/buffalo-naval-park-looking-into-situation-with-uss-the-sullivans/

image.thumb.png.74852a1b20af72d84190c6ef7e29520d.png

Holy cow, I just walked by there on Tuesday. I wonder what I did.

Dis she get sold recently?

My feeble memory is telling me she’s not part of the Naval Park inventory, but maybe I am misremembering something.

I remember camping out in the USS Sullivans in Boy Scouts.  She’s a pretty cool ship for a 12yr old.  I’m guessing she’s overdue for the scrapyard these days.

Really sucks Erie County and NYS didn't have say 450 million dollars laying around where they could have given the smallest fraction to this project.

Hope they save the ship, only 4 of her class in existence. She's a real piece of history. If they do another donation drive guess I'll donate again. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Really sucks Erie County and NYS didn't have say 450 million dollars laying around where they could have given the smallest fraction to this project.

Hope they save the ship, only 4 of her class in existence. She's a real piece of history. If they do another donation drive guess I'll donate again. 

They have a donation button at the bottom of the news article. It's sad to see, especially since I was aboard a ship for several years. The structure was again rapidly and this was "almost" expected to be an issue. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Weave said:

Dis she get sold recently?

My feeble memory is telling me she’s not part of the Naval Park inventory, but maybe I am misremembering something.

I remember camping out in the USS Sullivans in Boy Scouts.  She’s a pretty cool ship for a 12yr old.  I’m guessing she’s overdue for the scrapyard these days.

Why would she not be part of the naval park inventory when she is permanently docked there?   

Hopefully they can fix this and keep her around.  

Edited by Pimlach

6 hours ago, The Ghost of NS said:

Looking for some education here. 

Why is everyone referring to the ship as a female? Isnt it named after 5 brothers?

Sea craft has been given a female gender as tradition.

7 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Why would she not be part of the naval park inventory when she is permanently docked there?   

Hopfully they can fix this and keep het around.  

I seem to recall reading somewhere that she was sold in lieu of being scrapped.

37 minutes ago, phil_soisson said:

It's a warship with transverse bulkheads and watertight doors. Assuming it's one breach, and those doors are closed, the flooding should be confined to one compartment. Obviously they were open.

^ sounds like a Navy man weighing in.  I just want it saved if possible.  I love going down there and was hoping to see it expanded in the future.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, phil_soisson said:

It's a warship with transverse bulkheads and watertight doors. Assuming it's one breach, and those doors are closed, the flooding should be confined to one compartment. Obviously they were open.

Welcome back!

Her name is actually The Sullivans, she is not in commission any longer so does not officially warrant USS. She and the newer USS The Sullivans (DDG-111) are one of the few ships in our naval history to use ‘The’ in front of the name to recognition of the five Sullivan brothers lost when Juneau was sunk in WWII.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.