Offseason Gameplan 2022 - Solving the goaltending system wide.

GASabresIUFAN

Who will be the goaltenders next season  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be UPL's partner next season

• Anderson
    • DeSmith
    • Dreidger
    • Hellybuyck
    • Comrie
    • MAF
    • Hotlby
    • Husso
    • A Russian RFA like Samsonov or Georgiev
    • Other
  2. 2. Who will be the 2 goalies in Rochester (Pick 2)

• Houser
    • Tokarski
    • UPL
    • Subban
    • Dell
    • Other

Need to add to the Boychuk contract. He was only owed 1.25mil in actual salary for the 82 game season, idk exactly how much of that was left when Buffalo acquired him but even his actual real money amount didn't prevent the Sabres from doing anything. 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

That largely depends on what happens next: who we sign, for how long, how well he plays, how well Ullmark plays, and how much cap space the Sabres have to sign their core guys in 3 years.

What Adams foresees is clearly different than you.

Exactly. We just don't know yet. 

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

So the answer is no. We're just speculating it was only 1 mil. Why should the Sabres GM pay 6mil and an additional year for Ullmark? 

Love Ullmark but if I'm gm and that's the deal, I walk away. I'm not paying a premium to convince a guy he wants to be here. 

And the latter point isn’t talked about enough.

Seems to me there’s a pretty good case to be made that Ullmark felt the same way about the Sabres as McCabe, Reinhart and Ristolainen. He just wasn’t as up front about it as they were.

41 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also Ullmark for 5 years... pass. 

This right here! Five years is far too long. 

Too many previous injuries.  Too much Sabres stink on him.
To me, his decent year is largely attributed to the Bruins outstanding defensive team game. He was only able to start 41 games this past season.  That’s not worth 5M at all. 

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

And that's where he might have the character of the skaters so well nailed down that providing last year's goaltending again this year lucking into a top 2 selection might actually work out better in the long run than fixing the goaltending and letting the kids start competing this year rather than in 2 years.  (Personally don't believe it would be better, but last year the team showed it had way more character than anybody that didn't work for the Sabres besides @Doohickie expected either.  So, wtf knows.)

Hoping we don't have to watch that & instead do get real goaltending, because the possibility of him managing to break these kids after what they went through last year is too depressing for words, regardless as to however unlikely it might be.

16 hours ago, Taro T said:

IF Adams starts the year w/ Anderson & UPL as the 2 Sabres goalies, we will know that he likes his odds of landing one of the 3 studs in the '23 draft.

Ah. That old familiar feeling of going into a season already looking towards the draft.

It’s like a warm hug.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Some people also seem to forget it wasn't just the money and term it was the No Move Clause in the contract that the Sabres didn't want to match. Let's not also forget he couldn't stay healthy while here. With McAvoy's new contract kicking in next year, the Bruins aren't going to find a replacement for Bergeron without shedding salary. IMO they're about to be sorry they made that deal with Ullmark especially if Swayman continues to play well and improve.

I think Adams deserves a little rope after navigating thru last year with the team having a new attitude and improved play, so let's see what his game plan is moving forward. I also think the team's positivity will break some of the bad vibes that seems to have haunted us with players not wanting to come here. Even some of our biggest detractors on the national stage are coming around with positive takes on the team.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, jsb said:

Some people also seem to forget it wasn't just the money and term it was the No Move Clause in the contract that the Sabres didn't want to match. Let's not also forget he couldn't stay healthy while here. With McAvoy's new contract kicking in next year, the Bruins aren't going to find a replacement for Bergeron without shedding salary. IMO they're about to be sorry they made that deal with Ullmark especially if Swayman continues to play well and improve.

I think Adams deserves a little rope after navigating thru last year with the team having a new attitude and improved play, so let's see what his game plan is moving forward. I also think the team's positivity will break some of the bad vibes that seems to have haunted us with players not wanting to come here. Even some of our biggest detractors on the national stage are coming around with positive takes on the team.

I can’t fault Boston for signing Ullmark when they already had Swayman. Banking your future on a goalie with 10 games of NHL experience when you’re a contending team is not a recipe for success. 

The bigger question is what kind of contract do they give Swayman after next season. He split the net time with Ullmark this season and then played 5 of 7 playoff games. It gets even more interesting if we consider the slide into a rebuild that appears to be taking place.

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Taro T said:

And that's where he might have the character of the skaters so well nailed down that providing last year's goaltending again this year lucking into a top 2 selection might actually work out better in the long run than fixing the goaltending and letting the kids start competing this year rather than in 2 years.  (Personally don't believe it would be better, but last year the team showed it had way more character than anybody that didn't work for the Sabres besides @Doohickie expected either.  So, wtf knows.)

Hoping we don't have to watch that & instead do get real goaltending, because the possibility of him managing to break these kids after what they went through last year is too depressing for words, regardless as to however unlikely it might be.

I'm going to put aside the Ullmark issue and look at where this team is at now. There is no question that the Sabres are assembling a new young core and have expanded their talent base. Is the last third of the season a reflection of a team of young players maturing and becoming a competitive team? Or is it a mirage of an inflated record based on games played with little pressure due to them having no playoff implication? I lean toward the positive view but candidly can't say for sure. 

Anyone who watched most of the Sabre games noticed a qualitatively improvement during that last third portion of the season. Once the team got healthy and the roster was in tact with few fill-in players this team was able to consistently play well. Even when they didn't win there were very few occasions where you can say it was out-matched. 

I strongly believe that with the improvement of young players on the roster and with the additions of players such as Power, Quinn and JJ, this roster is starting to congeal and grow together. What's missing is a stable goaltending situation. That's the priority that the GM has to get right this offseason. Even if it is only a temporary solution, the goalie/s brought in has to be at a level that will give this upgraded roster a chance to be in the mix of a playoff race up to the end of the season. I don't believe that this team is far away. However I do believe if the GM doesn't seriously address the most important position in the game this offseason he will be sabotaging the good work he has already done. That would be such a shame. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

Ah. That old familiar feeling of going into a season already looking towards the draft.

It’s like a warm hug.

Again, hoping he doesn't tack that way and instead brings in, say, Fleury on a 2 year deal & Husso on a 3 year deal.  But if we end up watching him bring in the equivalent of Anderson & Dell to "fix" the issue ...

• Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I'm going to put aside the Ullmark issue and look at where this team is at now. There is no question that the Sabres are assembling a new young core and have expanded their talent base. Is the last third of the season a reflection of a team of young players maturing and becoming a competitive team? Or is it a mirage of an inflated record based on games played with little pressure due to them having no playoff implication? I lean toward the positive view but candidly can't say for sure. 

Anyone who watched most of the Sabre games noticed a qualitatively improvement during that last third portion of the season. Once the team got healthy and the roster was in tact with few fill-in players this team was able to consistently play well. Even when they didn't win there were very few occasions where you can say it was out-matched. 

I strongly believe that with the improvement of young players on the roster and with the additions of players such as Power, Quinn and JJ, this roster is starting to congeal and grow together. What's missing is a stable goaltending situation. That's the priority that the GM has to get right this offseason. Even if it is only a temporary solution, the goalie/s brought in has to be at a level that will give this upgraded roster a chance to be in the mix of a playoff race up to the end of the season. I don't believe that this team is far away. However I do believe if the GM doesn't seriously address the most important position in the game this offseason he will be sabotaging the good work he has already done. That would be such a shame. 

Except for goaltending, Adams has done a good job assembling a team that could be good as soon as this season & very good a year or 2 out (right about the time he should finally have a GT that the Sabres currently hold the rights to should be ready to step in).  And, the way the team played down the stretch, and even the way they typically played when it looked like the wheels were about to fall off around the time Subban was breaking, demonstrates that Adams has achieved one of his goals - assembling a roster of players with high character.  But even the very best reach a breaking point and if we get to watch the equivalent of Anderson & Dell this year there's a chance we find out where that point is and that would be devastating.  Personally, expect they could battle through getting that little support again, but really don't want to have to find out if that is a valid assumption.  Get them the support they need & start rebuilding everything.  Adams likes to talk about how everybody involved from management, to the players, to the back office, to the event staff, to the fans need to be on the same page; well, this is his 3rd shot at getting that aspect right.  For the love of all that's good & Holy, get on the mother ####### page Kevyn and give the kids some NHL quality backstopping.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Unless they trade for a goalie I don't think a legit 1 will play here just yet so I went with UPL and re-sign Anderson. I don't like it but I just don't see how we can get around it.

Someone is signing here because “money talks”. Do you think someone like Casey DeSmith would rather stay a backup on an aging Pitt team or take a shot a being a starter on an up and coming Sabres team?  Same for Comrie and maybe even Holtby.  If you pay them they will come.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Someone is signing here because “money talks”. Do you think someone like Casey DeSmith would rather stay a backup on an aging Pitt team or tale a shot a be9ng a starter on an up and coming Sabres team?  Same for Comrie amd maybe even Holtby.  If you pay them they will come.

Casey DeSmith is the guy I think most likely to fall to us in this scenario. Not the worst option by far. 

19 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Someone is signing here because “money talks”. Do you think someone like Casey DeSmith would rather stay a backup on an aging Pitt team or tale a shot a be9ng a starter on an up and coming Sabres team?  Same for Comrie amd maybe even Holtby.  If you pay them they will come.

We'll find out soon enough. I hope you're right.

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Adams mentioned they have an offer to Anderson to come back, but in more of a backup role.

They are in multiple conversations for possible trades for goalies and are exploring the UFA Market 

Yeah, I think those concerned Adams isn’t going to actively try to address the goaltending need to give that one a listen.

He politely hinted they don’t think they can can depend on Anderson or UPL to carry load next year, and flat out said they are in conversations about all the goalies on the market.

• Like (+1) 3

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Yeah, I think those concerned Adams isn’t going to actively try to address the goaltending need to give that one a listen.

He politely hinted they don’t think they can can depend on Anderson or UPL to carry load next year, and flat out said they are in conversations about all the goalies on the market.

He went into last year believing UPL would run with the job and Anderson could be a solid mentor. Anderson missed half the season but was mostly solid and a great locker room guy. UPL badly underachieved out of the gate; started gaining steam; got hurt back to Rochester and hurt again at season’s end.

Adams sounds like he’s begun to worry about UPL’s availability hence the seeming hints he’ll start in Rochester and we’ll see a stop gap goalie.  Since becoming GM, UPL has been injured at least 4 times and that has to wear on a GM no matter how highly he thinks of UPL’s skill

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

He went into last year believing UPL would run with the job and Anderson could be a solid mentor. Anderson missed half the season but was mostly solid and a great locker room guy. UPL badly underachieved out of the gate; started gaining steam; got hurt back to Rochester and hurt again at season’s end.

Adams sounds like he’s begun to worry about UPL’s availability hence the seeming hints he’ll start in Rochester and we’ll see a stop gap goalie.  Since becoming GM, UPL has been injured at least 4 times and that has to wear on a GM no matter how highly he thinks of UPL’s skill

Adams can not afford to put all his eggs in the UPL basket kind of like he did with Ullmark last off season.

Adams is learning that lesson. Hopefully this translates in an improved G pipeline, as well as signing someone of significance to man the pipes.

• Like (+1) 2

I think it is clear that GMKA is planning on having 6 goalkeepers signed and in the system this season.  (Given the number of injuries at the position that the Sabres have had the last 3 years, it would be foolish not to plan that way.)  I wonder which other teams will seriously plan for 4 or more netminders. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.